Migrating data but not drives.

my old system has finally had it. it is an old netgear rackmount that takes a dozen drives that are a random mix of 1-4tb from every vendor. Its time to upgrade everything so I got a new desktop server that only takes a few drives and some 10tb drives that will hold everything I need in it. I read on how to migrate the license and all but I want to double check something. It says that it will blacklist the old drive. Will that kill it as soon as I do it or does it give it some time? I want to get the new system online, transfer my pro license into it, then migrate all of my data but I want to be sure its not going to nuke the old system right away. Also any other things I should be aware of while im doing this?

If there is nothing wrong with your flash then there is no need to transfer the license. You can use that same flash with that same license on a new build.

You can use the Unassigned Devices plugin to get the data off the old disks into the new build. No need to have 2 Unraid systems running.

The only thing that involves blacklisting is transferring a license to a new flash. That gives you a new key, and the GUID for the old flash is blacklisted as soon as you get the new key.

37 minutes ago, Dovaka said:

my issue is that my old system has 12 drives in it and my new one cant take all the drives so i need to have both running to copy data from one to the other

Each disk is independent. You don't have to put all 12 drives in the new system. One at a time will do it.

Since each drive from an Unraid system contains a complete file system it can be mounted outside of the array. You could mount an old drive using the Unassigned Devices plugin (I.e. do not add it to the array).    The data can then be copied onto the new drive(s).    Repeat for as many of the old drives as needed.

Some thoughts on this matter. I might of skipped a step here and there, but I hope it makes sense.

Server to Server Method

1. Backup your old USB stick somewhere safe making sure to capture the /Config folder.
  2. Grab a new USB and pickup a Trail Key.
  3. Install the Trail Key into your new server and copy away.
  4. When your all said and done copy the /Config folder from the Trial Stick to the Licensed Stick. Just make sure you don't loose track of which /config folder you have from which drive and make sure the license key is on your Licensed stick when its all said and done.

Drive Swap Method

If you do the swap method I'd probably do it this way

Basically set up your new machine like a brand new machine.

1. Backup your old USB stick somewhere safe making sure to capture the /Config folder
  2. Erase the stick and reinstall unRAID on it
  3. Copy the .key file to the config folder < ------ now its a licensed copy again using the old stick
  4. Boot into unRAID on new machine
  5. Install Unassigned.Devices
  6. You can insert a disk or simpy Use one of these bad boys and copy your data either via rsync, Midnight commander or Krusauder https://www.amazon.com/s?k=external+drive+dock&amp;ref=nb_sb_noss_1
  7. You can either copy and leave Parity enabled which is slower or you can skip "assigning a Parity drive" to speed up copying or you could go into settings and use the Turbo "Reconstruct Method" which would make copying much faster.

Either method works. Just depends on what you feel  comfortable with. In my house I'd probably do the Trial Key and copy because my Family would kill me if I didn't let them access their content for a while.