ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha X399

On 12/5/2019 at 6:01 AM, testdasi said:
  • Since you are passing through a 1080Ti as primary (i.e. what Unraid booted with), also expect potential run in with error code 43. You can try to mitigate this by booting Unraid in legacy mode, vfio stubbing the GPU, turning off Hyper-V in the VM template and dump your own vbios and hopefully all is well.

Could you go into more detail about this as I would like to use my primary GPU in a VM and my current method of achieving this is a bit janky.

• How do I "boot Unraid in legacy mode" and what does it mean to be in legacy mode? Ramifications? Limitations? 
  • What is to "vfio stub the the GPU"?
  • Does Hyper-V need to remain off or is that just to dump the vbios? 
  • Will a vbios (matching my GPU) downloaded from the interwebs suffice? 

Thank for sharing your expertise. Stay safe.

3 hours ago, jsooter1 said:

Could you go into more detail about this as I would like to use my primary GPU in a VM and my current method of achieving this is a bit janky.

• How do I "boot Unraid in legacy mode" and what does it mean to be in legacy mode? Ramifications? Limitations? 
  • What is to "vfio stub the the GPU"?
  • Does Hyper-V need to remain off or is that just to dump the vbios? 
  • Will a vbios (matching my GPU) downloaded from the interwebs suffice? 

Thank for sharing your expertise. Stay safe.

You might want to post a separate topic with your details and preferably attach your diagnostics (Tools -> Diagnostics -> attach zip file)

Also would be helpful to copy-paste your xml and the PCI Devices section of Tools -> System Devices.

When copy-paste text from Unraid, please use the forum code functionality (the </> button next to the smiley button) so the text is sectioned and formatted correctly.

In the meantime, watch SpaceInvader One tutorial on youtube. That will clear some of the questions you have.

33 minutes ago, testdasi said:

In the meantime, watch SpaceInvader One tutorial on youtube. That will clear some of the questions you have.

I have watched them all. He is great! I have not seen a video where he mentions booting Unraid in legacy mode. Googling "Unraid legacy mode" got me nowhere. And since I have an ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme, and you seam to have defeated this challenge already, I sought your advice. 

• 3 years later...
7 minutes ago, SimpleDino said:

@jbartlett, have your VM's been effected or anything by unraid version 6.12.4?
My ones have stopped outputting display picture to monitor but are accessible with RDP, anydesk etc...but not with sunshine/moonlight because of encoder/decoder (RTX3060) is not working properly.

Unfortunately, I took Unraid off this box a few months ago and have Windows running bare metal now.