File Transfer results in Error 0x8007003B

On 7/31/2019 at 8:47 PM, threiner said:

this was problems connectiing by NFS, but now it is connected. But this have nothing to do with the errors... 

What are you saying here???  Windows does not support NFS, only SMB!   (Are you a native English speaking person?  Reading your posts, I have reasons to suspect you are not.)   You did hijack the thread.  (Of course, you were not the only one in this case.)  Apparently, you are the only one left who still has the issue.  This should indicate to you that the problem is in your setup external to the Unraid server.  It can be an interaction between that setup and the Unraid server.  That is what people are trying to help you figure out and resolve.  With Windows 10, this is a difficult problem as Microsoft is constantly updating Windows 10 to address security issues-- often without the user being aware that it has even happened!  

Here are some questions for you.

1-- Do you have any Users assigned on your Unraid server?  (This is besides root.)

2-- Have you changed the security of any of your shares on your server from Public to either Secure or Private

3-- Do you have your Windows 10 computer setup to automatically log into any other computer on your local network? 

On 8/7/2019 at 2:51 PM, Frank1940 said:

What are you saying here???  Windows does not support NFS, only SMB! 

WRONG! Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise support NFS

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/nfs/nfs-overview

(Are you a native English speaking person?  Reading your posts, I have reasons to suspect you are not.) 

I dont know why this is important, but iam not.

You did hijack the thread.  (Of course, you were not the only one in this case.) 

so next time i should open a new one then with the same error ?

Apparently, you are the only one left who still has the issue.  This should indicate to you that the problem is in your setup external to the Unraid server. 

I dont think so, whey i have the same speed issues from my macbook pro then?

It can be an interaction between that setup and the Unraid server.  That is what people are trying to help you figure out and resolve.  With Windows 10, this is a difficult problem as Microsoft is constantly updating Windows 10 to address security issues-- often without the user being aware that it has even happened!

Why does then work Freenas, Drobo, synology and serval other NAS systems without a problem witn windows?

Here are some questions for you.

1-- Do you have any Users assigned on your Unraid server?  (This is besides root.)

Yes there is one User more assigned

2-- Have you changed the security of any of your shares on your server from Public to either Secure or Private

hope it is public as i have it only in my private Network

3-- Do you have your Windows 10 computer setup to automatically log into any other computer on your local network? 

No the Computer is not logging in in other computers.

I have here 5 Windows 10 Machines with Win 10 Home, Pro and Enterprise. and also a windows 7 machine is always the same issue. Even from my mac i dont get constat file transfer rates... If i install for example freenas on the same machine it runs without any problem. But i dont like freenas i prefer the concept of unraid.

i have tested three different Motherboards 5 different SATA Controllers, different NIC's, Have tried 5 switches, and so on...

the only thing i found in the last test was that the dashboard shows a very high CPU utilization when i write on the UNRAID, i use a AMD  AMD A8-5500 | 16GB RAM i thought this should be enough as i am not planing to use it for anything else then as a storage. for some strange reason the transfer speed starts with 80 MB/s and drops then down to 5 MB/s and the some times even to 0.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:51 AM, Frank1940 said:

31 minutes ago, threiner said:

"hope"? The security of each of your user shares is displayed on the Dashboard.

On 8/3/2019 at 6:58 PM, papnikol said:

Just wanted to mention that this is not the case for me (and I am guessing other people who have the same problem), so I hope this helps the particular user but it is not a general solution

This did solve it for me. I bonded the onboard Intel with a Realtek card. Both 1gb ports.  

I set them up with 802.3ad and made the adjustments on the unifi US8 switch.  All seemed good and I was pulling down multiple files from the server faster than before. 

Then tried to upload a 5gb file and the 0x0error started.  Found this thread, dropped the bonding and now I can copy up. 

Any ideas of what the issue is or if there is a fix? Should I try a different type of bond or just leave it be. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Same with me with many years usage of Unraid. Happened just now. The workaround that sometimes works is to create a new folder in where I want to put the file. And sometimes inside the new folder I create random files like docs, pictures, new folders and then start my transfer. When the writing fails, the parity drive stops writing but the destination hdd keeps reading for ages and the fail happens. And then its keeps reading and I cant delete the partially copied file for a while.

Maybe this is a limitation of reiserfs?

• 1 month later...

I had the server rest for 5 Month , today i tested the new 6.8 Version still the same.... Speed is not constant goes up and down till nothing happen anymore or the error pops up. This leaves sadly the Unraid solution pretty much useless for me. :-( 

Even from my Macbook pro the same theater the speed is very low... and the transferrate goes down and up and down till nothing happen annymore...

On 10/25/2019 at 11:53 AM, johnnie.black said:

This is a known issue with reiserfs and old or full filesystems, you should convert to a different filesystem.

I dont use reiserfs but the problem is the same, and only with unraid the same machine with freenas will not have this problems... said that it is still not fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Your mileage may vary, but this is what I found worked for me:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Disable the 128-bit protocol and allow 56 and 40 bit encryption.   

I also opened-up pretty much everything I could think of on my computer (public shares, making this computer searchable, etc. etc.)

Oddly, I have xfinity xfi, and it said something about a security threat to my unraid server on their internet.xfinity.com website, but I have to wonder how that's even a thing as I'm behind a NAT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, threiner said:

Yes there is one User more assigned

No the Computer is not logging in in other computers.

I have here 5 Windows 10 Machines with Win 10 Home, Pro and Enterprise. and also a windows 7 machine is always the same issue. Even from my mac i dont get constat file transfer rates... If i install for example freenas on the same machine it runs without any problem. But i dont like freenas i prefer the concept of unraid.

i have tested three different Motherboards 5 different SATA Controllers, different NIC's, Have tried 5 switches, and so on...

the only thing i found in the last test was that the dashboard shows a very high CPU utilization when i write on the UNRAID, i use a AMD  AMD A8-5500 | 16GB RAM i thought this should be enough as i am not planing to use it for anything else then as a storage. for some strange reason the transfer speed starts with 80 MB/s and drops then down to 5 MB/s and the some times even to 0.

This sounds very similar to a nic driver problem.  I see this quite often on Windows server side connecting with clients.  Especially with older nics from Broadcom or Realtek.. but also on Intel.  Usually upgrading the firmware of the nic will help, but also knowing the driver being used.  If Unraid is not using the correct files needed or misidentifies your nic, then you will see this problem.

Also an issue-  Multiple Windows machines with same user signed in.  This will cause issues with shares.  Especially prominent if Settings > Accounts > Sync your settings. By default, the option to Sync settings is turned on.

I don't know what motherboard you are using for Unraid, but judging by the $30 cpu, I would guess the motherboard may have issues., sense you have multiple clients even a mac that exhibits the same issue. 

Upgrade firmware.  If no new firmware for nic is available, that is a problem.  Check what Unraid detects it as.

Never try to bond different manufacturers nic's.  No vendor or OS supports this as best practice.  There are so many issues with Realtek, it's unbelievable.

You say you have server grade network equipment.  Unfortunately that doesn't mean a thing.  The very best $10,000 switches have issues and if you are not invested in support there is no way for you to know all the issues.

We have contracts with Cisco and HP because equipment doesn't always do what they claim it will.  You aren't going to find these fixes in a forum.

Point is.  Connect PC directly to Unraid without any switch.  If you still have issue, then I highly suspect NIC. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fwiler said:

This sounds very similar to a nic driver problem.  I see this quite often on Windows server side connecting with clients.  Especially with older nics from Broadcom or Realtek.. but also on Intel.  Usually upgrading the firmware of the nic will help, but also knowing the driver being used.  If Unraid is not using the correct files needed or misidentifies your nic, then you will see this problem.

Also an issue-  Multiple Windows machines with same user signed in.  This will cause issues with shares.  Especially prominent if Settings > Accounts > Sync your settings. By default, the option to Sync settings is turned on.

I don't know what motherboard you are using for Unraid, but judging by the $30 cpu, I would guess the motherboard may have issues., sense you have multiple clients even a mac that exhibits the same issue. 

Upgrade firmware.  If no new firmware for nic is available, that is a problem.  Check what Unraid detects it as.

Never try to bond different manufacturers nic's.  No vendor or OS supports this as best practice.  There are so many issues with Realtek, it's unbelievable.

You say you have server grade network equipment.  Unfortunately that doesn't mean a thing.  The very best $10,000 switches have issues and if you are not invested in support there is no way for you to know all the issues.

We have contracts with Cisco and HP because equipment doesn't always do what they claim it will.  You aren't going to find these fixes in a forum.

Point is.  Connect PC directly to Unraid without any switch.  If you still have issue, then I highly suspect NIC. 

Thanks for your help, this all can be a problem, BUT why the same machines run flawless with freenas with high speeds? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, threiner said:

Thanks for your help, this all can be a problem, BUT why the same machines run flawless with freenas with high speeds? 

That's unfortunately is not the right question to ask.

It may very well be Unraid and how it handles or identifies your hardware, but you have to narrow down the issue first before you can fix it.  All the other one's you have tried, may be using a different driver for the nic (This is just an example)  It could be chipset, memory controller, sata controller, etc.  

In my example we had issues with Broadcom nic that came with Dell server.  It was on the Windows WHQL list It had the same issue you describe where you can start a transfer, and then it just slowly dies down to 0.  The nic couldn't handle anything over about 1GB before slowing down. 

It ended up being a vmq setting on the nic that was partially the issue, but also firmware, and the driver.  NIC worked great under Linux.

So as you can see, one operating system may just not like your hardware.  

Hope you can get it figured out.  If possible maybe try a 2nd hand computer just as a test.

• Like 1

i have tried so far 5 different mainboards and i dont know how many nic's i think at least also 5, the strange thing is that it works all with most of the Systemes but just not with unraid. i will try again. I also used a HP Server i had laying around unfortunatly the same problem.

I find it disapointing when a commercial Product is working so poor, and there is now even support on it.

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2020 at 4:24 PM, bippi said:

Your mileage may vary, but this is what I found worked for me:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Disable the 128-bit protocol and allow 56 and 40 bit encryption.   

I also opened-up pretty much everything I could think of on my computer (public shares, making this computer searchable, etc. etc.)

Oddly, I have xfinity xfi, and it said something about a security threat to my unraid server on their internet.xfinity.com website, but I have to wonder how that's even a thing as I'm behind a NAT

Just got a brand new Unraid setup and had the problem described in this thread, and this seemed to solve it.

• 2 months later...

Hi.

I had same problem last week on my friends PC wit win 10 pro to transfer 200GB+ big files to FreeNAS server.

Nothing I did seem to not work. And I tried every procedure that I could find on Google.

On the end, the solution was easy.

Download latest driver from producer for your NIC card in WIN 10 PC (realtek = realtek.com), update driver, and problem solved!

Edited by schwarci
Additional info.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 6:22 PM, Frank1940 said:

Have you found this one:

https://windowsreport.com/network-error-0x8007003b-fix/

(Found with Google and 'Error 0x8007003B: An unexpected network error occurred' as the target.)  As much as you may not like it, it appears that MS is 'owning' this one.  I can tell you that my WIN10 Pro-64Bit (version 1809) is not having this problem.  (If you don't know what version is currently running on your Windows computer, type   winver   in the search box and click on the result.)  By the way, when asking about Win10 issues, always list the version number, variety --Home, pro, etc-- and whether 32-or-64 Bit.   All of these have minor differences that make them unique! 

That site you sent is quite possibly the worst possible advice ever.  Its like all the boilerplate you see on literally every Windows forum support post- verbatim.  

-it might be malware

-disable filewall

-run sfc

-reinstall windows

-give me a star if I helped you.

And you just want to scream, you posted the same solution to the last 5 people and I dont see how that helps when I posted "help my computer is on fire"

I'm pretty sure that site is auto-generated into tricking you into clicking on their "registry cleaner/malware installer" offerings.

Removing bonding seems to have solved this- for the moment at least.

This is odd as someone above says dont mix from different mfg's but these were all the same mfg.  All the same card.  One card with 4 1gb ports and one card with 2 10gb ports.  Only the 1gb ones were bonded.

The error I was getting was repeatedly 

Nov 2 22:30:17 Unraid rpc.mountd[20170]: refused mount request from 169.254.0.1 for /rA/S (/): not exported
Nov 2 22:30:17 Unraid rpc.mountd[20170]: refused mount request from 169.254.0.1 for /rA (/): not exported
Nov 2 22:30:17 Unraid rpc.mountd[20170]: refused mount request from 169.254.0.1 for /rA/S (/): not exported

So this led me deep into `exportfs` and /etc/exports and /etc/rc.d/rc.samba and nmbd, and numerous other solutions.  

For the moment this seems to be working.  Although, to be fair, its started working for a bit at least 3 times now.  I've gotten over 6TB onto the machine over the past day before it chokes and dies at some arbitrary point.

At one point I did mount the share- this was an attempt to force it to use a particular ip - the 10gb Direct ip, rather than the 1gb LAN connection.

and... its down again...

Also, fairly sure its an unraid problem not a Windows problem.

For one, I have several linux Samba shares in my house, all work without a problem.  

For the second, executing `/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart` on unraid, immedietly clears all the problems on both machines- although interrupting any transfers I have in progress.

So far, I am failing to see the benefit of unraid over say, standard ubuntu linux, where at least I know the commands (wtf is rc.d?).

Edited by AndyT86

What I don't understand is, that nobody of the developers looks into this problem. I have a freenas with the same components what does not make any problem ever, my CentOS server also never makes this problems, but unraid does.  Unraid is the only paid software of this and I like the concept, but I expect this problems to be solved ASAP, as it is clearly a bug, and it is there for a long long time...