Newbie: Does Unraid work on QNAP TS-259pro+

benibilme

Hello,

I have  QNAP TS-259pro+ as my main storage solution for some years. QNAP has ceased support for it. It has dual core atom D525 1.8 GHz CPU and 2 GB ram currently.  It has two drive bays. I have currently 2 x 2 terabytes disk installed in raid 1. The hardware is good, silent and nothing wrong with it. I need to use it for a while. Can I install and use unraid in this machine..

Beni

Can you? maybe.

Should you? depends on expectations. 2GB is very close to unusable with all the extras and add ons that unraid has gained over the years. You probably won't be able to do anything beyond the bare basics, I don't think you will even be able to use automatic version updates, those would need to be done manually with the USB stick pulled.

I have several qnaps and can't understand why you would ever want to do this.  It will be underpowered and slower than snot.  Especially the unit you have- if it was at least a celeron- there might be hope- but not with atom.  Dockers are out of the question and the overhead of unraid itself will probably eat most of your resources with a basic file copy.

Thank you for the reply.

My main concern is that QNAP has quit updating the OS. (I do not blame them)  I like this QNAP hardware since it is low powered and silent. Mine is running 24x7 for at least 7 years on my desktop and I bought it second hand.

Although currently major security updates are given, but in near future it will be ceased. Second, I do not want to spend for a new hardware, buying a new QNAP does not add much value if I do not spend a fortune for SMB or enterprise class hardware.  Building myself a nas, will not cost less, since there is very few suitable low power, small form factor, silent platform, and it will be hassle.  I learned about unraid a couple of days ago.  Before unraid  I was looking for a platform for freenas, but freenas requires powerful hardware, ecc rams costs almost as much as the platform.

Anyway thank you again for the replies.  I quess I will live with this faithful QNAP  for a while and think about what to do...

Edited by benibilme