data rebuild, 3 strikes and out ?

I use my server remotely 90% of the time, when I am onsite it is usually to attach an unassigned device to back up date I have been working with (1000's of gb), the last few times I visited and done what I needed I have noticed that a drive was showing as missing when I later connected remotely, I later discovered that a sata power plug had come loosed when sliding the side case shut, when plugged back in it was all fine. This has happened again for the third time (yes, I am going to alter the hardware structure), however, the last instance, two plugs got pulled, I plugged back in and one of the drive was showing as missing, I identified it and added it back into the array, now this time it is seeing it as a new disk and has started a data rebuils, approx. 2 days to complete, im guessing I cant stop the train now ? why did the drive not just get added back into the array and carry on as normal ?

EDIT: rebuild has balanced out to 8 hours …. phew. guess I should let it ride out ?

Edited by loady

Yes, let it ride and see if it completes successfully.  

By the way, the situation you described is not unusual.  By any chance, did someone tie and dress all of the SATA (data and power) up so that they would 'look pretty'?  This is usually a recipe for disaster as moving one cable the slightest amount will often loosen one or more connectors.  If I get inside my server case to do anything, the last thing I do before closing up the case to check each SATA connector to make sure it is securely pushed in tight-- working from inside out.   And I have quick-change drive enclosures so that the case does not need to be opened for drive changes. 

14 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Yes, let it ride and see if it completes successfully.  

By the way, the situation you described is not unusual.  By any chance, did someone tie and dress all of the SATA (data and power) up so that they would 'look pretty'?  This is usually a recipe for disaster as moving one cable the slightest amount will often loosen one or more connectors.  If I get inside my server case to do anything, the last thing I do before closing up the case to check each SATA connector to make sure it is securely pushed in tight-- working from inside out.   And I have quick-change drive enclosures so that the case does not need to be opened for drive changes. 

I plant to do the same and yes, they do look pretty.

I let it ride out, however when I came back to check this morning the disk is now disabled, from what I can see the data rebuild finished but it is saying contents emulated

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

If it finished the disk would't be disabled, unless it got disabled again after the rebuild, either way you should post the diagnostics.

yes..errmm..have not posted a diags for a while..theres a button somewhere now for it ?

Edited by loady

Unfortunately log is spammed with these errors:

Apr 19 18:20:41 warptower nginx: 2019/04/19 18:20:41 [error] 4639#4639: *79539 nchan: error publishing message (HTTP status code 500), client: unix:, server: , request: "POST /pub/disks?buffer_length=1 HTTP/1.1", host: "localhost"
Apr 19 18:20:41 warptower nginx: 2019/04/19 18:20:41 [error] 4639#4639: MEMSTORE:00: can't create shared message for channel /disks
Apr 19 18:20:42 warptower nginx: 2019/04/19 18:20:42 [crit] 4639#4639: ngx_slab_alloc() failed: no memory
Apr 19 18:20:42 warptower nginx: 2019/04/19 18:20:42 [error] 4639#4639: shpool alloc failed
Apr 19 18:20:42 warptower nginx: 2019/04/19 18:20:42 [error] 4639#4639: nchan: Out of shared memory while allocating message of size 10171. Increase nchan_max_reserved_memory.

No idea what they mean but syslog rotated and missed the disk errors, but it dropped offline so reboot and post new diags so we can check SMART.