[Solved] Parity Check error counter continues to grow. Cause for concern?

7 minutes ago, Jcloud said:

On subject of memtest, I will probably do that again. As when I build systems for clients I like to run multiple passes in succession to avoid false-positive results.

Memory would be a main suspect for parity errors not getting corrected.

And, I just compared the logs of both parity checks, and it seems to be finding the errors in different sectors than before, so that makes me think even more that it is a memory problem.

8 minutes ago, trurl said:
22 minutes ago, Jcloud said:

On subject of memtest, I will probably do that again. As when I build systems for clients I like to run multiple passes in succession to avoid false-positive results.

Memory would be a main suspect for parity errors not getting corrected.

And, I just compared the logs of both parity checks, and it seems to be finding the errors in different sectors than before, so that makes me think even more that it is a memory problem.

Given that the suspect is memory, I'm thinking I should cancel the current parity-check (assume that it is bad/corrupt and therefore wasting time).  Then I'm going to run memtest from Unraid boot for 3 or 4 passes, to look for errors.  I'll then follow that up with another memtest, from PassMark  https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm , just in-case memory errors aren't being detected by older version of memtest.  The two memtests should be about 7 or 8 passes and provide (imo) a good indication of bad ram.  

The bad news, is that my home system will be down for 24 - 48 hours; also probably be the next time frame which I'll post in this thread. Thoughts/critiques?

9 hours ago, Jcloud said:

Then I'm going to run memtest from Unraid boot for 3 or 4 passes, to look for errors.  I'll then follow that up with another memtest, from PassMark

I started with the PassMark memtest86, rather than the older memtest+ program on Unraids boot loader. After 30 some odd minutes it found a memory error - that's when I started hearing voices in my head (@johnnie.black and @turl) saying, "I told you so." ;)

PassMark Memtest86 just finished pass 2 of 4, which it found one error on pass #1 and has found five errors on pass #2.  Mentally I'm debating whether I still want to run memtest+, on Unraid's boot loader, for academic purposes.  One observation I made is that PassMark memtest ran in SMP-mode by default, checking on all cores in Parallel, where as on Friday memtest+ defaulted to single-core mode, staying on CPU0.  Second observation, coupled with my first, is that memory errors have been on CPU-cores other than core-0.

Third observation I made, is that PassMark's license for their Free-version is, "MemTest86 Free Edition is free to download with no restrictions on usage," which makes me wonder if I should put in a feature request to LimeTech/Unraid - to add memtest86 (or possibly replace memtest+) to bootloader options. 

Now I'm in hardware-troubleshooting phase(s) of tracking down the DIMM(s) and/or memory-channels with issues, P.I.T.A. but, "not my first rodeo."

Going to change subject/tag to solved as the culprit seems to be identified.

After having identified errors in PassMark memtest86 I ran tests with memtest+ after several passes that found errors.  Removed 64GB (a memory kit), from the second quad-channel, ran memtest for eight passes - no errors.  Removed the 64GB kit from first quad channel; replaced it with other 64GB kit into first quad channel - ran that for eight passes no errors.  I then put in the first 64GB kit back into the second quad-channel (admittingly skipping a step here...) went into BIOS and set ram from default XMP profile to AUTO -- ran memtest for four passes, passed.  

I'm currently running parity check, correcting.  Once that finishes I'll re-run parity (looking for errors=0). If second pass produces errors then I probably have a bad MLB or CPU. 

• Jcloud changed the title to [Solved] Parity Check error counter continues to grow. Cause for concern?