Migrating from SnapRaid+MergerFS to unRaid

Hi All,

I currently have my home server running Debian with SnapRaid+MergerFS.  I'm thinking of switching everything over to unRAID for a easier experience.  I have about 8.5TB (3x4TB WD Reds + 1x4TB WD Red for parity) worth of data (mostly just tv/movies), and I was wondering what would be the easiest/cheapest way to move that over to unRAID?  As far as I know, unRAID has to format all the disks.  I was thinking of either buying a 8TB external HDD and moving majority of the files onto there, and the rest onto my gaming PC, then moving them all to unRAID afterwards.  Is there an easier way?

I'm also running Sonarr, Radarr, NZBHydra2, Ubiquiti Unifi Controller, and NZBget on my server, would I be able to transfer the settings over or would I have to start fresh?

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, skyway said:

unRAID has to format all the disks.

correct

You should have backups of anything important and irreplaceable anyway, so if you don't currently, then buying some additional storage, such as the external you mention, would be a good idea anyway.

I don't know how those applications are implemented on your other system, but they would be dockers on Unraid. Maybe if you could tell us more.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

correct

You should have backups of anything important and irreplaceable anyway, so if you don't currently, then buying some additional storage, such as the external you mention, would be a good idea anyway.

I don't know how those applications are implemented on your other system, but they would be dockers on Unraid. Maybe if you could tell us more.

It's mostly just TV shows and movies that are easily replaceable, would just be an inconvenience.

The applications are all inside docker containers.

5 hours ago, trurl said:

How are the dockers launched by the other system? I assume at some level there is a docker run or docker create command or something, which could probably be used to get them setup on Unraid.

I have a docker compose file that runs everything. I'm guessing I could copy over all the settings in there into unraid?

Having just considered moving from standard software RAID to unRAID, this is what I would suggest... Assuming that you don't already have an easy to access backup.

Get a good deal on a WD 8 or 10TB external drive (Easy Store or My Book).

Copy the data to that and verify that it's good.

Build your new pool without a parity drive.

Copy the data from the external to the new pool, and verify the data.

Shuck the 8 or 10TB drive, and install it as your parity drive.

Now you have the new pool/system set up, and plenty of room for easy expansion since your parity drive is now much larger.

Keep your old 4TB parity drive as a spare in case a drive fails.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2