Help w/Intel X550-T2: Unraid Hangs When Enabling

This is a critical presales issue--10GbE networking must work in order for us to use the product. I've also posted this in General Support to possibly attract a forum member, too.

I'm evaluating Unraid for file management for my small business. Quick transfers between one desktop and the "NAS" are very important. For that reason, I purchased two 10GbE cards. From the logs on both sides, it appears that the cards have been identified, and that drivers are installed for both systems.

However, when I enable the X550-T2 card under Unraid, Unraid hangs. I was using the Spaceinvader One video, setting 'eth4' to be a static IP, and turn on bridging. When I [apply] that, I get a message in the 'eth5' box (?) that says, "please wait ... configuring interfaces", and Unraid dies, hard, requiring a shutdown -t.

Here is the network.cfg file after the configuration. Is there anything wrong in here? Note: I altered the first two octets to xxx and yyy.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can debug this. As far as any diagnostics go, I don't know how to provide them: diagnostics before the configuration attempt will not show the network configured, and after the config, a diagnostics file isn't possible since Unraid hangs completely, requiring a shutdown command at the root prompt.

# Generated settings:
IFNAME[0]=""
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="no"
DHCP6_KEEPRESOLV="no"
BONDNICS[0]="eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3"
BONDING_MODE[0]="1"
BONDING_MIIMON[0]="100"
BRNICS[0]="bond0"
BRSTP[0]="0"
BRFD[0]="0"
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
IFNAME[1]="br4"
BONDNAME[1]="bond4"
BONDING_MIIMON[1]="100"
BRNAME[1]="br4"
BRSTP[1]="no"
BRFD[1]="0"
BONDING_MODE[1]="1"
BONDNICS[1]="eth4 eth5"
BRNICS[1]="bond4"
PROTOCOL[1]="ipv4"
USE_DHCP[1]="no"
IPADDR[1]="xxx.yyy.0.205"
NETMASK[1]="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY[1]="xxx.yyy.0.254"
SYSNICS="2"

The above configuration shows two bonded interfaces (bond0 and bond4).

Are eth4 and eth5 your 10G interfaces? Have you tried to use them without bonding?

Make sure your statically assigned address+gateway of bond4 (br4) doesn't conflict with the DHCP assgined address+gateway of bond0 (br0).

Remember that the management interface of Unraid is bound to eth0 (bond0/br0). The IP address associated with this interface is used to access the GUI.

Hook up a monitor and run 'diagnostics' locally. This creates a diagonostics file on the flash device under folder /logs. You can shutdown the server and take the flash device out to copy over and post these diagnostics here (zip file).

> Are eth4 and eth5 your 10G interfaces?

Yes, on this Supermicro motherboard, eth0 - eth3 are the built-in 1000Base-T ports, and eth4 and eth5 are the Intel X550-T2 ports.

> Have you tried to use them without bonding?

I believe that was my first attempt. But I can try again. Eth0 and Eth4, at the time of the test, had two different static IP addresses.

#1: Does the network.cfg look OK? Are there missing fields, or malformed fields? Does anyone else have two NICs and can compare their network.cfg? Or can some people please post their double-NIC network.cfg files so that I (or tech support) can compare them? Thanks.

#2: If Unraid hangs, again, is there a gentler way to force a reboot? I was using 'shutdown -t 30 now' and, from single-user mode, 'shutdown -t 10 -p now'.

• 8 months later...