[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

i'm redoing it all again from scratch and i'll see how it goes, once i see them all initially boot up showing the correct maps then i will stop them all and backup the dockers then tweak the server settings how i want them.

update:
finally got all 10 maps working :D

Edited by RazorX
On 4/2/2021 at 10:59 AM, Cyd said:

you should be editing /serverdata/serverfiles/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/GameUserSettings.ini but

the ShooterGame server does not respect the file permission mask when it writes to the gonfig files. 

So the safest method I have found is to stop the server container then edit /mnt/cache/appdata/ark-se/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/GameUserSettings.ini from the unraid console, then restart the server container.

For ARK Game.ini & GUS.ini settings being reset.

I was struggling with the issue of all my Game.ini & GUS.ini settings files getting reset to default upon server reboot.  So what I did was issued a the chattr +i command to lock the Game.ini & GUS.ini down so they cannot be modified/overwritten.   I ended up installing the User Scripts plugin for Unraid and I keep backups of all my Game.ini & GUS.ini settings in a share that I have permission to edit on my Windows computer.  Anytime I want to make a change to either of these files I simply edit the file from the share that I can access and then I fire off a script from the User Scripts plugin.  Here is a sample of how the script is run for one of my ARK Servers (I currently have a cluster of 8 different maps so I have entries for each of the 8  maps).

#!/bin/bash

chattr -i /mnt/cache/ARKServer/TheIsland/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/Game.ini

chattr -i /mnt/cache/ARKServer/TheIsland/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/GameUserSettings.ini

cp /mnt/cache/ARKServer/BackupINI/TheIsland/Game.ini /mnt/cache/ARKServer/TheIsland/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/Game.ini
cp /mnt/cache/ARKServer/BackupINI/TheIsland/GameUserSettings.ini /mnt/cache/ARKServer/TheIsland/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/GameUserSettings.ini

chattr +i /mnt/cache/ARKServer/TheIsland/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/Game.ini
chattr +i /mnt/cache/ARKServer/TheIsland/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/GameUserSettings.ini

In the Script the "chattr -i" unlocks the file then the cp command will copy the updated file from my backup directory.  After the copy the "chattr +i" command will lock the file so that not even the docker can write to the file. 

If you look at the log of the docker after starting it you will see the following errors:

chown: changing ownership of '/serverdata/serverfiles/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/GameUserSettings.ini': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of '/serverdata/serverfiles/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/Game.ini': Operation not permitted

Since I have done this my Game.ini & GUS.ini files stay intact through reboots and server updates.

Currently my cluster setup has the default docker install for each map so it takes up way too much space on my Cache drive (500 GB) so my next order of business is to get all maps to share the common files and only have a different location for individual Save data.  I'm really liking what I see with what @Cyd has put together with the A3C that is on the github.  I am definitely going to have to get that figured out.  Great stuff!

Edited by DBone-Unraid
On 6/26/2021 at 2:20 PM, ich777 said:

From what I've found, yes it should be totally doable, but I don't create Containers anymore where I don't own the game since troubleshooting is really hard if the Container somehow fails to start.

Alright, makes sence. Thanks for the reply!

10 hours ago, DBone-Unraid said:

For ARK Game.ini & GUS.ini settings being reset.

I was struggling with the issue of all my Game.ini & GUS.ini settings files getting reset to default upon server reboot. 

I was as well, my solution was to map all .../Saved/ folders to separate volumes (ARK1...,ARK2...,ect). Extra benefit is that each ark can use different configureation, I have ARK1-TheIsland dialed way down in difficulty for the new players and then ramp up over Scorched earth and Aberration... The down side is each server gets its own configuration, so want to make a "simple" change, yay get to do it 10 times!

Currently the entire are-se folder in appdata is 27GB for all 10 servers, plus I have the a3c keeping 10 days of backups for all arks that totals just over 9Gb and SteamCMD is about 1G.  So less than 38G total disk space for my cluster, but they use nearly 80Gb of RAM while running <shrug>

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pixel5 said:

is there any chance to get a Wreckfest server running via SteamCMD?

From what I know there is no native linux dedicated server binary, it should be theoretically possible to do it through WINE but I don't create gameservers anymore that I don't personally own since I can't troubleshoot it if something isn't working.

4 hours ago, stevep94 said:

I know it's a shot in the dark but any chance you have Night of the Dead? (and can set up a docker/server?)

Sady enough no, but if you can raise the funds or gift it to me I'm more thatn happy to create a container.

But from what I've see there is no native Linux client out there, eventually it will run through WINE but I can't tell for sure...

• Like 1

@ich777

Hi There!!  First off, Thanks so much for these awesome Dockers!!  :-)

I am having some problems with the ARK: Survival Evolved Server.  Everything works great but only shows up on LAN.  The game server is not visible on the public server list.  Can you give me some advice on how to fix this?  I have a Plex server running on Unraid, and it can be reached from the outside world with no issues.  But for some reason, my ARK server will NOT show up in the in-game server list. 

I have forwarded all of the appropriate ports on my router.

I have "Show Password Protected Servers" checked (In Game Client), because I know that will prevent your server from showing if it isn't checked, and there is a password. 

I am using the default "Bridge Mode", and my "Port Mappings" look like this in UNRAID:

172.17.0.2:27015/UDP <-> 192.168.0.135:27015
172.17.0.2:27020/TCP <-> 192.168.0.135:27020
172.17.0.2:7777/UDP <-> 192.168.0.135:7777
172.17.0.2:7778/UDP <-> 192.168.0.135:7778

I would really really appreciate your help on this one please ich777 :-) 

Thank You So Much in Advance.

2 hours ago, Body Karate said:

I would really really appreciate your help on this one please ich777 🙂

I'm not very familiar with ARK but eventually @Cyd can help.

Are you sure that you have also enabled Show Community Servers in the in game server list (not sure how it's actually called exactly but I remember something like that).

make sure that you chose "unofficial" in the drop down on the server selection and the correct toggle if you are running mods ...

7 hours ago, Body Karate said:

@ich777

Hi There!!  First off, Thanks so much for these awesome Dockers!!  :-)

I am having some problems with the ARK: Survival Evolved Server.  Everything works great but only shows up on LAN.  The game server is not visible on the public server list.  Can you give me some advice on how to fix this?  I have a Plex server running on Unraid, and it can be reached from the outside world with no issues.  But for some reason, my ARK server will NOT show up in the in-game server list. 

I have forwarded all of the appropriate ports on my router.

I have "Show Password Protected Servers" checked (In Game Client), because I know that will prevent your server from showing if it isn't checked, and there is a password. 

I am using the default "Bridge Mode", and my "Port Mappings" look like this in UNRAID:

172.17.0.2:27015/UDP <-> 192.168.0.135:27015
172.17.0.2:27020/TCP <-> 192.168.0.135:27020
172.17.0.2:7777/UDP <-> 192.168.0.135:7777
172.17.0.2:7778/UDP <-> 192.168.0.135:7778

I would really really appreciate your help on this one please ich777 :-) 

Thank You So Much in Advance.

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

I'm not very familiar with ARK but eventually @Cyd can help.

Are you sure that you have also enabled Show Community Servers in the in game server list (not sure how it's actually called exactly but I remember something like that).

Yes.  Thanks.  In ARK, you just select "LAN", "Official Servers", "Unofficial", etc...  In our case being "Unofficial".  I was very careful to make sure the filters were set correctly.  Did you tag Cyd?  Sorry I am noobish in the forum dept.  Hopefully "Cyd" knows the answer.  I used to run clustered ARK Servers on Windows, but it was very easy and straigtforward, and I am not very familiar with the Linux Environment.  UnRaid is just so easy, you don't really HAVE to know linux lol.

7 minutes ago, Cyd said:

make sure that you chose "unofficial" in the drop down on the server selection and the correct toggle if you are running mods ...

Yep.  I have definitely done that.  Looking under "Unofficial", and "Show Password Protected" (Our Server currently is passworded).  I also tried with mods and without. (Just in case something internally was considered a "MOD"), but just running bare bones at the moment with no mods.

On 6/29/2021 at 8:44 AM, Cyd said:

I was as well, my solution was to map all .../Saved/ folders to separate volumes (ARK1...,ARK2...,ect). Extra benefit is that each ark can use different configureation, I have ARK1-TheIsland dialed way down in difficulty for the new players and then ramp up over Scorched earth and Aberration... The down side is each server gets its own configuration, so want to make a "simple" change, yay get to do it 10 times!

Currently the entire are-se folder in appdata is 27GB for all 10 servers, plus I have the a3c keeping 10 days of backups for all arks that totals just over 9Gb and SteamCMD is about 1G.  So less than 38G total disk space for my cluster, but they use nearly 80Gb of RAM while running <shrug>

@Cyd First off, excellent work on getting this all setup.  I have a question regarding how the ARK0-A3C docker works.  I have all 10 map templates downloaded and have modified them with my settings.  I am not going to use the dynamicconfig.ini as I will have the settings for each map contained in their own ini files. 

On the github I noticed that there are some script files along with all the template files.  I'm just wondering if I need to copy those script files somewhere specific or does the ARK0-A3C docker somehow contain those for performing the backups and updates?

I have read through the readme file and I didn't really see where the script files were discussed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

18 hours ago, Cyd said:

Thanks for the quick response Cyd :)
I have checked these settings and confirmed.  Do you have any other suggestions as to why my server is still showing on the LAN, but not on the WAN?

4 hours ago, Cyd said:

Those are responsible for backing up of the ark files. Then checking the steam api for mod versions and the arkdedicated api for the server version to decide weather or not to bring the cluster down for updates.

Do I have to put them in a specific location and does the ARK0-A3C docker call them somehow?

4 hours ago, mgutt said:

Is this the usual load? I wonder because there are only 3 players online. Does it mean 10 players will overload it?

Eventually, does the players experience any lag or blocks getting placed or removed with a delay?

For Minecraft you can calculate in the worst case for every connected user with about 1GB of RAM.

I don't ever see a Server is getting overloaded by players but keep in mind Minecraft Java Edition is not very well optimized for Multithreading and prefers speed over core count.

If the players experience, like mentioned above, blocks getting placed or removed with a delay then the server is is actually overloaded and you see messages that say something like: "The server is xxxxx Ticks behind, is the server overloaded?" (these messages can occur really early in the game with not much players connected).

That also depends on the things that the server has to render/calculate (Redstone circuits, animals,...), you can also crash servers with the right Redstone circuits.

Oh I also forget about blowing things up in the game with TNT and calculating the flow of water/lava...

If you have a mod server like Spigot or Bukkit, Worldedit for example can also have a huge impact on the performance when you use it heavily.

Guys!!  I fixed my issue where my server WAS visible on my LAN, but NOT visible outside of my LAN!!

I forwarded the ports correctly on my router, etc.... BUT!!  Stupid me didn't realize that I had a previous port forward entry from long ago, using a different IP address on the network but was using the SAME port in a range of ports...  So once I deleted that old entry, it resolved the port conflict and VOILA!!  I can now see my server!  I just thought that I would post this in case somebody else ran into the same weird issue.  :-)  Totally my dumb mistake.  I am just happy it is all working now.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, ich777 said:

does the players experience any lag or blocks getting placed or removed with a delay?

Only external players in rare cases, so I think this was related to the internet connection.

41 minutes ago, ich777 said:

"The server is xxxxx Ticks behind, is the server overloaded?" (these messages can occur really early in the game with not much players connected).

Yes, I saw those message. It seems only to happen after a long playing time and it happens even with only 2 players online. It's a little bit strange because the CPU should have enough single thread performance I think.

I will post an update if I ever reach 10 players ^^

• Like 1

Hello and thank you for any assistance!  I am trying to get the Neverwinter Nights EE server up and running and am running into an issue.  I have copied a couple of mods into the Neverwinter Nights/modules folder, but on startup I constantly get this message.

"Your 'modules' folder is empty......".

Here is the docker start command.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='NeverwinterNights-EE' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'LOG_LVL'='4' -e 'MOD_NAME'='Kingmaker' -e 'MAX_CLIENTS'='4' -e 'MINLEVEL'='1' -e 'MAXLEVEL'='40' -e 'PAUSEAPLAY'='1' -e 'PVP'='0' -e 'SERVERVAULT'='1' -e 'ELC'='1' -e 'ILR'='1' -e 'ONEPARTY'='0' -e 'DIFF'='2' -e 'AUTO_SAV_I'='15' -e 'SRV_NAME'='Tater'\''s NWNEE' -e 'PPW'='XXXXXXX' -e 'APWD'='XXXXXXX' -e 'PUBLIC_SRV'='0' -e 'RLD_W_E'='0' -e 'GAME_PARAMS'='' -e 'UID'='99' -e 'GID'='100' -e 'UMASK'='000' -p '5121:5121/udp' -v '/mnt/disk1/appdata/nwnee':'/nwnee':'rw' --restart=unless-stopped 'ich777/nwnee-server'

Also, how would I go about setting up the server for the original campaign?  Thanks!!!!!