[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

Hi @ich777!

VRising docker server is running beautifully with vanilla settings. 

Having said that, some of the players on my server have requested a mod that allows for a less restrictive camera: link

Does this VRising docker currently support BepInEx? I remember that some of your other gameserver dockers (like Valheim or 7dtd) have a variable in the template to make sure the BepInEx dependencies are pulled, but I don't want to fiddle too much with something I don't fully understand. 

Thanks in advance!

16 minutes ago, bearcat2004 said:

Does this VRising docker currently support BepInEx?

No and for the time I won't add it until they release the Linux version from the Dedicated server because this will over complicate things.

BTW isn't this a mod that you can run on the Client only or is it necessary for this mod to be installed on the server?

...also isn't this mod technically cheating? :D

On 5/27/2022 at 8:05 PM, ich777 said:

Thank you, keep me updated.

Have you yet tried to cinnect through you local IP if it‘s the same?

So, i tried Arma 3 again with my friend, after 2 minutes we got kicked because no response. 

We played over 90 min with your Unturned Docker and it works rly well. 

Could it be the default Port for the Arma 3 Server? 

I am only connect with the local IP to the Server,  we both (my friend and me) have problems

Edited by vGCaptainObvious
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

No and for the time I won't add it until they release the Linux version from the Dedicated server because this will over complicate things.

Totally fair! Appreciate the reply

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

BTW isn't this a mod that you can run on the Client only or is it necessary for this mod to be installed on the server?

...also isn't this mod technically cheating? :D

Lol, if it's client-side only, that certainly makes things easier for me. As for whether it's cheating... I think I'm more annoyed by the camera than I am annoyed by my friends seeing more of the map

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Osiris said:

I've overcome several issues. Perhaps you could have a look & merge some of these into your repo? I could make a proper fork from yours & a merge request if you want.

What issues do you mean exactly?

From what I see your container works a little different than my one.

EDIT: I've now gone a little bit through your Docker container...

1. What happens when the server crashes in your container, from what I see the container will not stop even if the server crashed or am I wrong?
  2. Are you running the server as root? If yes why?
  3. Is .net and aspnet from Microsoft needed for V-Rising anyways, I have no issues running it without it and only through WINE
  4. Do you stop the server properly or does is it killed after 10 seconds (default timeout on Unraid)
  5. The TZ variable is also available in my container but you have to create it because it should automatically use your local time zone and I don't like to set it to a fixed value

Maybe GitHub is a better place to talk about this because it can get very technical and this is the support thread for my game servers, feel free to open up a GitHub issue or contact me via PM or add me on Discord if you want too.

EDIT2: Created an Issue on your GitHub repo here.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:58 AM, ich777 said:

Please don‘t give advice that‘s not correct.

What you are experiencing is that something seems wrong with your hair pin NAT, that‘s why you don‘t see the server on the Server List in game, but you should be able to connect to the game via Direct Connect and your local Unraid IP.

Hi! I'm experiencing this - V Rising server not appearing in the master list despite correct port forwarding and being able to direct connect. Could you point me to how to fix the issue? I've looked for hair pin nat but couldn't find what you mean. Thanks!

Quick summary on my network, I use PiHole, and have a Ubiquiti USG router, UPnP disabled. Should I just enable UPnP ?

Edited by Sungray
4 minutes ago, Sungray said:

Could you point me to how to fix the issue? I've looked for hair pin nat but couldn't find what you mean.

I really can't tell what you have to do on your router, here is a article that describes what hair pin NAT is: Click

Does other people outside your network see the server?

How do you direct connect, through your Unraid IP or through your external IP?

Do you run other services that are reachable from outside?

20 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I really can't tell what you have to do on your router, here is a article that describes what hair pin NAT is: Click

Does other people outside your network see the server?

How do you direct connect, through your Unraid IP or through your external IP?

Do you run other services that are reachable from outside?

I'm not sure if people outside my network see the server.

I direct connect through my public IP.

Yes I have other services reachable from outside.

On my router I've set up the port forwarding rule, nothing fancy.

Thanks for your answers.

Oh and I tried using a VPN on my computer to another country, the server still didn't show up on the list.

image.png.c7bbf2c869a5fcd9111c7c4041a89c24.png

Edited by Sungray
11 minutes ago, Sungray said:

Yes I have other services reachable from outside.

Oh I saw that they introduced a new variable here:

ListOnMasterServer | boolean | true | Set to true to list on server list, else set to false

So to speak, set "ListOnMasterServer" to "true" in your "ServerHostSettings.json" (I hope you've read the description from my container where the right file is located in the container ;) ).

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Oh I saw that they introduced a new variable here:

ListOnMasterServer | boolean | true | Set to true to list on server list, else set to false

So to speak, set "ListOnMasterServer" to "true" in your "ServerHostSettings.json" (I hope you've read the description from my container where the right file is located in the container ;) ).

Yes I did find the correct .json file before and was able to change to PvE (default the server was in PvP) and set a password. And the ListOnMasterServer is set to true by default too on the json.

Edited by Sungray
2 minutes ago, Sungray said:

Yes I did find the correct .json file before and was able to change to PvE (default the server was in PvP) and set a password. And the ListOnMasterServer is set to true by default too on the json.

I can look later if I find the server if you give me the name and also if I can connect via Direct connect if you give me the IP or domainname (maybe send me the IP or domainname via PM).

Okay so. The problem was that the checkboxes "Password protected" and "Empty servers" were not selected. 🤦‍♂️

Well also that sometimes the server just doesn't appear, just need to retry a few times but make sure to select those checkboxes.

• Like 1

I asked about this in the V-Rising Discord, server channel, but didn't find resolution.

It now supports LAN play, which should let me go offline in steam, then connect to the server (running on the same machine).

I added -lan to the commandline, restarted, then tried to connect.  All IP addresses (127.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, <external ip>, docker IP address, etc all fail to connect (I went through and tried with and without the client lan button pushed combined with adding the port or not in all combinations, the one that works without the -lan option connects, then gets to 5/5 then gets a connection timed out error.)

Without the -lan option I can connect, but if I'm offline in steam it plays from 3-10 minutes then I get a communication error (I think the authentication finally fails) and I get booted.

The response on the official discord is, Linux isn't supported...which is expected, but not as helpful as I had hoped.

I'm running with the default commandlines shown in the github page, I did tweak the server to make it PVE and a couple settings, nothing with the network.

Thanks for any suggestions.

This is my first time using Docker, I'm on Ubuntu 22.10 with latest patches applied.

8 hours ago, Rks1789 said:

This is my first time using Docker, I'm on Ubuntu 22.10 with latest patches applied.

So you are don't using this on Unraid or am I wrong or are you on the client on Ubuntu?

All IP addresses (127.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, <external ip>, docker IP address, etc all fail to connect (I went through and tried with and without the client lan button pushed combined with adding the port or not in all combinations

You have to use the hosts IP address.

Without the -lan option I can connect, but if I'm offline in steam it plays from 3-10 minutes then I get a communication error (I think the authentication finally fails) and I get booted.

So it works if you play for about 3-10 minutes? Then I think something is wrong with Steam or the game itself?

May I ask, is there a special use case for this to play on LAN?

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

So you are don't using this on Unraid or am I wrong or are you on the client on Ubuntu?

You have to use the hosts IP address.

So it works if you play for about 3-10 minutes? Then I think something is wrong with Steam or the game itself?

May I ask, is there a special use case for this to play on LAN?

I am not using Unraid, until 5 minutes ago I wasn't sure what it was beyond seeing it mentioned elsewhere, when I searched for hosting V-Rising on Linux your Dock came up, so I figured out how to fire it up (thank you very much by the way).

All the IPs I supplied are technically IPs of the host, slightly different forms, but I'm not sure that matters.

So typically V-Rising uses Steam's interfaces to authenticate, so I have to be logged into Steam and then log into the server.  They added a LAN option so you can play without an internet connection.

Sometimes my Son is using my steam account and I want to be able to play as well, so in theory I should be able to go offline in steam, then connect to a server running in "LAN" mode, this is done by adding the -lan option to the commandline.

When you go to play you also have to do a direct connection and select the "LAN" checkbox.

From the patch notes from May 25'th:

LAN/Offline mode

To play V Rising without an internet connection you need to follow these steps:

Before you disconnect from the internet you need to

Start Steam

Go Offline on Steam (Steam -> Go Offline…)

After this, you can disconnect from the internet

Start V Rising

If you are hosting a local server you need to start the server in LAN Mode by using the checkbox in the UI or starting the dedicated server with the “-lan” parameter

If you are connecting to a LAN server you need to check the “LAN Server” check box in the Direct Connect to Server window or by using the “ConnectLan” console command

I wasn't sure if this was a common way to play in offline/LAN mode and there were known workarounds, sounds like it isn't.

34 minutes ago, Rks1789 said:

I wasn't sure if this was a common way to play in offline/LAN mode and there were known workarounds, sounds like it isn't.

I will look into that when I got a bit more spare time…

Usually it should work as adviced in the patch notes.

Btw does this also mean you have to pass this argument over to the client and not only to the server?

37 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I will look into that when I got a bit more spare time…

Usually it should work as adviced in the patch notes.

Btw does this also mean you have to pass this argument over to the client and not only to the server?

Yes, the server gets the -lan switch, and in the client's UI it has a "Lan mode" checkbox in the direct connect screen where you enter the IP:port.

It mentions you need to do both to connect.

Thanks!

Heya!
I just discovered that tModLoader got deprecated with this recent update of it. Big pity. I literally waited two years for that update since it's the 1.4 compatible stable 🤣 fml

I've found some guides on how to set up the Steam tModLoader in a linux environment, but I'm not a pro when it comes to dockers themselves.

Would the master branch of the regular Terraria docker be a good enough starting point for me to attempt building a custom docker from with tMod added or is another branch more suitable for that endeavour?

Hi,

i am runnning a Conan Server and when i look into the log from unraid it always spits out these errors like:

00f8:fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (00000000CAFE4242,0x0001,0x0000,0xc0000001,0000000000000000,0x0001,0x00000000,00000000004EC838,0000000000000000): stub

or i get:

00f8:fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_IGNORE_OFFLINE: STUB

The Server is running ok but i am still wondering if it is possible to get rid of these errors or if i am doing something wrong

Thanks

6 minutes ago, BentoFox said:

Would the master branch of the regular Terraria docker be a good enough starting point for me to attempt building a custom docker from with tMod added or is another branch more suitable for that endeavour?

Yes, I think so...

Also the tmodloader branch is still in place, but I've decided to deprecate it now because this is the third time the developers changed something and the container ultimately breaks.

2 minutes ago, M4cM4ni4c said:

The Server is running ok but i am still wondering if it is possible to get rid of these errors or if i am doing something wrong

These are just messages from WINE and you can ignore them.

Since there is no native Linux client I have to run it through WINE and WINE usually spits out a lot of these messages, these are not really errors.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:58 AM, brain:proxy said:

Ok, so this is what was causing it for me.  When I started my own server, I wanted it to be PvE, so I went googling and found a solution that worked, but I didn't fully understand the configuration files or how they refer to each other. My solution to changing it from PvP to PvE was to use a preset, which worked, but messed me up when I wanted to change further settings. 

{
  "Name": "Bijouvania",
  "Description": "1-900-OK-FACE",
  "Port": 9876,
  "QueryPort": 9877,
  "MaxConnectedUsers": 40,
  "MaxConnectedAdmins": 4,
  "ServerFps": 30,
  "SaveName": "Bijouvania1",
  "Password": "*********",
  "Secure": true,
  "ListOnMasterServer": true,
  "AutoSaveCount": 50,
  "AutoSaveInterval": 600,
  "GameSettingsPreset": "StandardPvE",
  "AdminOnlyDebugEvents": true,
  "DisableDebugEvents": false

That line "GameSettingsPreset": "StandardPvE", made the server use an unknown-to-me preset config file from "VRisingServer_Data/StreamingAssets/GameSettingPresets/" which ignored all the settings in "ServerGameSettings.json", no matter how many times I changed "ClanSize".

The fix, is either change setting in the preset, or create your own, and adding or changing the ClanSize variable, (in my case StadardPvE.json) or remove the preset line and configure my server using the ServerGameSettings.json file.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately I was not using a preset (or at least one doesn't show up in my config like yours) and so this didn't fix my issue

On 5/31/2022 at 12:56 AM, ich777 said:

& @brain:proxy Which file did you edit or better speaking in which location, please read the description from the container where the files are located.

I am able to change the clan size to eg 6 on my server.

Also make sure that you stop the server first, edit the file and then start the server again.

I stopped the server and editied the line 

"ClanSize": 10,

into

/vrising/VRisingServer_Data/StreamingAssets/Settings/ServerGameSettings.json