[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

3 hours ago, phren0logy said:

VRising: I have edited my ServerGameSettings.json and ServerHostSettings.json - and they seem to just be ignored, despite restarting the server.

Hey legend, I'm running a VRising server and I've got it working real nice (bless you ich777).

There are ServerGameSettings.json and ServerHostSettings.json at ~\vrising\VRisingServer_Data\StreamingAssets\Settings and ~\vrising\save-data\Settings. I can't remember which one I figured out it was pulling from (though I think it was from save-data\settings), have you tried both?

8 hours ago, maereax said:

/vrising/VRisingServer_Data/StreamingAssets/Settings/ServerGameSettings.json

5 hours ago, phren0logy said:

VRising: I have edited my ServerGameSettings.json and ServerHostSettings.json - and they seem to just be ignored, despite restarting the server.

2 hours ago, MrPresibent said:

~\vrising\VRisingServer_Data\StreamingAssets\Settings

Did someone from you even read the description from the container?

grafik.png.99c7637b418762e43dccc98e88bd4f0a.png

Please keep in mind, you have to set the name from the server in the Docker template because is it overrides the config file.

• Like 1
On 6/2/2022 at 10:52 PM, bearcat2004 said:

BepInEx

Good news for you, a user on GitHub issued a PR to support BepInEx, with a little refinement I now merged it and it is now possible to enable BepInEx like for Valheim or 7DtD.

Simply create a variable in the container template like:

grafik.png.15b02e4c4605b15212efcb3224ecd324.png

and it is enabled, of course make sure that you update the container itself to make this work.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, ich777 said:

Did someone from you even read the description from the container? ...

Please keep in mind, you have to set the name from the server in the Docker template because is it overrides the config file.

Thanks, I'm embarrassed to say I did see that but did not read closely enough to see that the paths were different. I appreciate you taking the time to help correct such a careless mistake.

That said, the fact that (often redundant and conflicting) config options are spread across the docker key/values, in the directory identified in the official documentation, and then in yet a third directory is a bit confusing. I guess that's part of the trade-off for the convenience of Docker, but I much prefer to keep the configuration in one spot.

Edited by phren0logy

Hello, first of all thank you so much for all of the amazing work on your various dockers!

I've been running your unraid v-rising docker for a few weeks and it works perfectly outside of one weird issue I haven't been able to replicate on a friends unraid server. For some reason the server gets a stuck main thread every day at 10AM Central. The docker is still in a "started" state but we can't log in. When I check the logs for the v-rising docker it says something about a stuck primary thread. If I restart the docker it works fine until exactly 10am central the next day. Any thoughts?

Stuck main thread detected. Last system started: ProjectM.ServerBootstrapSystem. Last system finished: ProjectM.ServerDebugSettingsSystem. Last subnode: PrefabGuid: 0 NodeIndex: 0.
UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
Unity.Entities.<>c__DisplayClass8_0:<Initialize>b__0(Object)
System.Runtime.Serialization.DeserializationEventHandler:Invoke(Object)
System.Threading.SendOrPostCallback:Invoke(Object)
System.Threading.ExecutionContext:RunInternal(ExecutionContext, ContextCallback, Object, Boolean)
System.Threading.ExecutionContext:Run(ExecutionContext, ContextCallback, Object)
System.Runtime.Serialization.DeserializationEventHandler:Invoke(Object)

Edited by RoyalJackV
Added error message.
1 hour ago, phren0logy said:

in the directory identified in the official documentation

If you change the files in the directory that the documentaion says, then each time the game gets an update via Steam it would ultimately wipe your settings because they would be overwritten by the default ones.

1 hour ago, phren0logy said:

and then in yet a third directory is a bit confusing

I would always recommend to read the description and also the variable text, if something is made different than usual I write it in there.

I've decided to create a dedicated directory where the saves and your settings are located because as said above if I would have let them where the usually stored they would get overwritten on a game update, at least your settings.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RoyalJackV said:

I haven't been able to replicate on a friends unraid server. For some reason the server gets a stuck main thread every day at 10AM Central.

This seems to me that something is triggered at 10AM on your server which actually causes the stuck thread, but I really can't tell what that is.

I've run the server for about two weeks without any issue whatsoever.

Is it possible that the Mover causes this? I hope your appdata share is set to Prefer or Only in terms of Use Cache.

On 2/9/2021 at 3:21 PM, luckyy said:

World Name is the name of your world, this can be anything, if you wish to import a single-player or self-hosted save file in your docker, this name must be set to the same name/spelling as your save game world.

We are trying to move our Valheim world to a dedicated Unraid server. I follow the instructions and stop the server, copy over the files, and set the name in the docker. When I start the docker back up and log in with the Valheim client, I get a world that seems to be the default that comes with the docker? On checking the files, it seems that the Docker overwrote the files I put into it as the Date Modified changes to the DTG that I started the Docker. Can I get some help? This thing doesn't seem to be working the same way as has been explained and I have no idea what I am not doing...

1 hour ago, lazarusomega2000 said:

This thing doesn't seem to be working the same way as has been explained and I have no idea what I am not doing...

I would recommend that you just rename the world that you transfer over to "Dedicated" or at least to the same name which world gets created.

I've never got an issue by renaming the "World Name" to a world that I want to import so that it get picked up by the container.

How do you copy it over? I would recommend that you use SMB and not Krusader or any other container that copies things over as root.

Are you trying to copy over a world from a Windows machine?

Try to load the world on your local computer, change something in the world and then exit the game and then try to copy it over.

Usually the dedicated server only overwrites the world when something is wrong with the permissions or the save itself.

8 hours ago, ich777 said:

This seems to me that something is triggered at 10AM on your server which actually causes the stuck thread, but I really can't tell what that is.

I've run the server for about two weeks without any issue whatsoever.

Is it possible that the Mover causes this? I hope your appdata share is set to Prefer or Only in terms of Use Cache.

Thank you for the quick reply. My appdata is set to prefer Cache. This did help me though! My SSD TRIM is scheduled for 10AM daily and my cache is on an SSD. I am surprised the TRIM would cause a freeze though. I'll adjust the TRIM schedule to 8AM and see if that changes when things hang up.

Edited by RoyalJackV
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, RoyalJackV said:

Thank you for the quick reply. My appdata is set to prefer Cache. This did help me though! My SSD TRIM is scheduled for 10AM daily and my cache is on an SSD. I am surprised the TRIM would cause a freeze though. I'll adjust the TRIM schedule to 8AM and see if that changes when things hang up.

@ich777 the stuck main thread did follow the SSD Trim to 8AM Central. my appdata is set to prefer cache, my cache is a single xfs SSD. My Valhiem docker doesn't run into this so its something unique between V-Rising and the scheduled TRIM. I'll continue to experiment but if you have any additional ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thank you!

22 minutes ago, RoyalJackV said:

@ich777 the stuck main thread did follow the SSD Trim to 8AM Central. my appdata is set to prefer cache, my cache is a single xfs SSD. My Valhiem docker doesn't run into this so its something unique between V-Rising and the scheduled TRIM. I'll continue to experiment but if you have any additional ideas I'd love to hear them.

V-Rising is in pretty early alpha and I can be everything because I run it through WINE, that's why it's marked as Beta.

Keep in mind Valheim is not running through WINE... But I don't think this is caused by WINE. As said above it could be everything...

Why not disable TRIM? Or do you need the speed gain?

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

How do you copy it over? I would recommend that you use SMB and not Krusader or any other container that copies things over as root.

Are you trying to copy over a world from a Windows machine?

The world files are on a windows machine. Unraid uses SMB as far as I can tell. I tried again last night, deleting the original world files while the server was off and replacing them with the files for the world we're working on. The system still overwrote them but reset the world-spawn, so I got a different world than the other times I have logged on.

56 minutes ago, lazarusomega2000 said:

I tried again last night, deleting the original world files while the server was off and replacing them with the files for the world we're working on. The system still overwrote them but reset the world-spawn, so I got a different world than the other times I have logged on.

Can you maybe send me the world files per PM so that I can try it on my own?

56 minutes ago, lazarusomega2000 said:

Unraid uses SMB as far as I can tell.

Sure, but you can also move them via Krusader, SFTP,... (seen a lot so far... :) )

6 hours ago, ich777 said:

V-Rising is in pretty early alpha and I can be everything because I run it through WINE, that's why it's marked as Beta.

Keep in mind Valheim is not running through WINE... But I don't think this is caused by WINE. As said above it could be everything...

Why not disable TRIM? Or do you need the speed gain?

I'll be honest, I don't know how critical the TRIM function is in UnRaid. I've seen a lot of mixed interpretations on whether its actually needed or not. Perhaps I'll disable TRIM and see if the issue goes away completely or change the frequency to something less often.

14 minutes ago, RoyalJackV said:

I'll be honest, I don't know how critical the TRIM function is in UnRaid. I've seen a lot of mixed interpretations on whether its actually needed or not. Perhaps I'll disable TRIM and see if the issue goes away completely or change the frequency to something less often.

I haven't done a single TRIM since I've started Unraid...

As long as the drives are recent there should not be a real downside to this except for the slower write speeds (but in my opinion that negligible).

Keep in mind this is my opinion on this... :)

3 hours ago, kezzkezzkezz said:

I'd give it a go on my side but i think its above my level of knowledge so it's more of a request but i wouldn't mind trying

I've stopped creating containers for games that I don't own because troubleshooting on such containers is a real pain for me, however if you are willing to donate the game to me, I can look into creating a container through WINE since this game doesn't officially support Linux (can't tell for sure if it's possible through WINE)...

On 6/6/2022 at 6:18 AM, RoyalJackV said:

Thank you!

I run trim hourly on my cache drive and have no issues with stuck threads, or anything else.  The world has been up 12 days since the last reboot and everything is fine.  The one difference I do notice between us tho is that my cache is formatted btrfs not xfs, not sure why it would matter but perhaps that is the issue if it is somehow related to trim.

• Thanks 1

I installed the latest Spigot 1.19 as follows:

1.) Install Minecraft Basic Server container with "jre17" as Runtime, "spigot" as serverfile name and "custom" as Game Version

2.) Open the container console and execute:

apt update
apt install git
cd /serverdata/serverfiles/runtime/jre17/bin
wget https://hub.spigotmc.org/jenkins/job/BuildTools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/BuildTools.jar
./java -jar BuildTools.jar --rev 1.19

This creates /serverdata/serverfiles/runtime/jre17/bin/spigot-1.19.jar

3.) Now move it to your Minecraft appdata root dir:

mv /serverdata/serverfiles/runtime/jre17/bin/spigot-1.19.jar /serverdata/serverfiles/spigot.jar

4.) Restart the container

Alternatively to point 3, you could download my spigot-1.19.jar and paste it into your appdata dir:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8p745uysdt1cqq/spigot-1.19.jar?dl=0

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, rclifton said:

I run trim hourly on my cache drive and have no issues with stuck threads, or anything else.  The world has been up 12 days since the last reboot and everything is fine.  The one difference I do notice between us tho is that my cache is formatted btrfs not xfs, not sure why it would matter but perhaps that is the issue if it is somehow related to trim.

My noob understanding is that btrfs no longer needs TRIM after a certain version of UnRaid so the TRIM command may not actually be doing anything to your btrfs drives. Is there an advantage to use one or the other (xfs vs btrfs)?

@ich777 with TRIM disabled I did not hit the stuck main thread this morning. I've at least confirmed that it is something to do with TRIM. I still don't really understand why the TRIM impacts only this container. For now I'll leave TRIM turned off and see if I notice any performance problems after a few weeks.

I am still having issues getting my world to display in the global list so I've been having to provide friends with my IP address since the game GUI doesn't allow you to enter a URL. I have the port forwarding and firewall rules set up in PFSENSE so I'm assuming I've missed something somewhere.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:18 AM, xXMrZombie20Xx said:

I'm currently running your V-Rising server flawlessly, but I did run into one issue. I attempted to get rcon to work on the server and failed many times. I know there are not many commands for it but wanted to setup auto announce messages to all players or even use the announce restart command. But I keep getting failed to connect every time I put in info from config to rcon client.  Thank you

Found out how to fix this. You have to edit the save data files. This includes for settings after initial setup.

• Like 1