[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

1 hour ago, RoyalJackV said:

My noob understanding is that btrfs no longer needs TRIM after a certain version of UnRaid so the TRIM command may not actually be doing anything to your btrfs drives. Is there an advantage to use one or the other (xfs vs btrfs)?

@ich777 with TRIM disabled I did not hit the stuck main thread this morning. I've at least confirmed that it is something to do with TRIM. I still don't really understand why the TRIM impacts only this container. For now I'll leave TRIM turned off and see if I notice any performance problems after a few weeks.

I am still having issues getting my world to display in the global list so I've been having to provide friends with my IP address since the game GUI doesn't allow you to enter a URL. I have the port forwarding and firewall rules set up in PFSENSE so I'm assuming I've missed something somewhere.

From Unraid 6.9 and up btrfs volumes are supposed to be mounted with the discard=async mount option which should mean that trim isn't needed.  However, I have found that if I stop using trim, after a few days the performance of my nvme cache drive drops dramatically so I have left it installed.

It could just be my use case, I don't know.  My cache drive has several hundred GB's of writes daily with the files being then moved from the cache onto either my array or sent to my TrueNAS server running on another machine.  

I still see, the details of how much space was recovered every time trim executes and do not have any conflicts with it and V-Rising or any other games I host.  How is your drive connected to your system? Is it nvme? Connected to onboard sata port? Or is it connected to a HBA or another way?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RoyalJackV said:

My noob understanding is that btrfs no longer needs TRIM after a certain version of UnRaid so the TRIM command may not actually be doing anything to your btrfs drives. Is there an advantage to use one or the other (xfs vs btrfs)?

@Hoopster can you help me out here? Is TRIM needed from your perspective?

2 hours ago, RoyalJackV said:

I am still having issues getting my world to display in the global list so I've been having to provide friends with my IP address since the game GUI doesn't allow you to enter a URL. I have the port forwarding and firewall rules set up in PFSENSE so I'm assuming I've missed something somewhere.

I think this is an issue from the game itself since there are currently a lot of servers around and I think it's not designed to list that much servers, the same was the case for Valheim back then...

I did some testing on my own and found out that sometimes my server displays and sometimes not but there is not really consistency on why this is the case.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, xXMrZombie20Xx said:

Found out how to fix this. You have to edit the save data files. This includes for settings after initial setup.

Is this maybe this what you are looking for: Click

(Keep in mind that your files are located in .../appdata/vrising/save-data/Settings in my container)

6 hours ago, rclifton said:

I still see, the details of how much space was recovered every time trim executes and do not have any conflicts with it and V-Rising or any other games I host.  How is your drive connected to your system? Is it nvme? Connected to onboard sata port? Or is it connected to a HBA or another way?

It is a SSD(pny cs900 500gb) connected via SATA cable. Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz.  

I have a similar concern with TRIM. My CACHE also gets a lot of writes and then transfers data to my Synology NAS. I've never gone a period of time with TRIM disabled so I do not know what performance impacts I'll see.

On 5/23/2022 at 1:47 AM, ich777 said:

I've tested the Container a few days ago and it worked perfectly fine.

The errors that you see on screen are usually caused by WINE but the container should run fine anyways.

Have you yet tried to connect to it via direct connection?

I gave up on it once I found out it wouldn't work with game consoles like Xbox and PS5 etc..  It works via pc only for this game in particular.  I never got it to work.  But thanks for replying back.

12 minutes ago, Mogo said:

I gave up on it once I found out it wouldn't work with game consoles like Xbox and PS5 etc..  It works via pc only for this game in particular.  I never got it to work.  But thanks for replying back.

Exactly, cross play is only supported by a few games and you always have to buy a server somewhere if you want to have a private server and couldn't be done with most dedicated servers for PC.

19 hours ago, RoyalJackV said:

What kind of port forwarding are you using? I cannot get to connect to the server and I think we have a similar setup with PFSENSE in between. 

I only allow connections to the two Vrising ports on PFSENSE when coming from WAN connecting to the unRAID IP.

1 hour ago, Evidenz said:

What kind of port forwarding are you using? I cannot get to connect to the server and I think we have a similar setup with PFSENSE in between. 

Have you changed anything in the template or the ports or something similar?

I'm using OPNsense which should be pretty similar, here is what it looks like on my OPNsense Firewall:

grafik.thumb.png.700280ff11d2715574eabb80fb612fa3.png

27 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Have you changed anything in the template or the ports or something similar?

I'm using OPNsense which should be pretty similar, here is what it looks like on my OPNsense Firewall:

grafik.thumb.png.700280ff11d2715574eabb80fb612fa3.png

Nope, have not changed a bit. Same config as yours.

Is the server supposed to be reachable from LAN? Because if I try with the LAN option ticked (in game) then I receive these logs on the container side:

Screenshot 2022-06-08 180921.png

20 minutes ago, Evidenz said:

Is the server supposed to be reachable from LAN? Because if I try with the LAN option ticked (in game) then I receive these logs on the container side:

Please don't use the LAN option in game, I think it will only work if you use this option on the server side too.

It should always be reachable when you click direct connect and enter your Unraid IP.

18 hours ago, RoyalJackV said:

I agree with ich777. My rule matches the one they shared. Also I do not check the LAN option. While on LAN I connect with my local IP. My friends use my external IP.

That works for me, too now. Does your server pop up in the server list for your friends?

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Evidenz said:

That works for me, too now. Does your server pop up in the server list for your friends?

From the testing with @RoyalJackV (I hope you was the one that I tested this with) it's a hit and miss and seems that it sometimes doesn't display in the list.

I think that's caused because the server list is huge and the same was the case in the beginning for Valheim too (same game engine)...

On 6/10/2022 at 3:56 AM, ich777 said:

From the testing with @RoyalJackV (I hope you was the one that I tested this with) it's a hit and miss and seems that it sometimes doesn't display in the list.

I think that's caused because the server list is huge and the same was the case in the beginning for Valheim too (same game engine)...

That wasn't me but in testing with friends I had the same result.

• Like 1

V Rising Lag - Error when playing with friend?

image.thumb.png.403310f42a323fd6129450871fc5f37d.png

SteamLog [SDR k_ESteamNetworkingSocketsDebugOutputType_Warning] SteamNetworkingSockets lock held for 190.1ms. (Performance warning.) ServiceThread,RecvUDPPacket(x29),ThinkPingProbes,EnsureDataCenterRoutesValid
This is usually a symptom of a general performance problem such as thread starvation.
UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
Stunlock.Network.Steam.Wrapper.SteamSocketNetworkingLogs:OnLog(LogSource, ESteamNetworkingSocketsDebugOutputType, IntPtr)

SteamLog [SDR k_ESteamNetworkingSocketsDebugOutputType_Warning] SteamNetworkingSockets lock held for 9.9ms. (Performance warning.) ServiceThread,RecvUDPPacket(x412),SNP_SendPacket(x4),SendUDPacket(x4),ThinkPingProbes,EnsureDataCenterRoutesValid
This is usually a symptom of a general performance problem such as thread starvation.

Never got this error playing solo on my server but it started popping up constantly when my friend joined. we get lag frequently. 
I have a ryzen 3900x and 64gb of ran. the appsdata is on my nvme cache drive. The only other docker running on my server is plex so I am  not sure what would be causing the thread starvation. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Kvo1087
6 hours ago, Kvo1087 said:

Never got this error playing solo on my server but it started popping up constantly when my friend joined. we get lag frequently. 
I have a ryzen 3900x and 64gb of ran. the appsdata is on my nvme cache drive. The only other docker running on my server is plex so I am  not sure what would be causing the thread starvation. Any help is greatly appreciated!

First of all please remember that I've run this server through WINE because Linux is not supported yet and also please note that this game is in pretty early alpha and such issues are very common.

AMD Platforms have the most issues with V-Rising from my experience but have you yet tried to restart the container?

What upload do you have, is maybe something downloading in the background?

I restarted and redownloaded the container to start from scratch. I noticed that when the server initially launches that this error is displayed. 

src\steamnetworkingsockets\clientlib\steamnetworkingsockets_lowlevel.cpp (774) : Assertion Failed: GetBestInterfaceEx failed with result 3 for address '000.000.00.000:0' - my ip

My upload is 15Mbps, nothing running in the background. made sure to test late at night when no streams were running on my plex docker. 

I am in the process of creating another unraid server right now and I could use an intel processor on that one. Is Intel more stable for V rising?

10 hours ago, Kvo1087 said:

My upload is 15Mbps, nothing running in the background. made sure to test late at night when no streams were running on my plex docker. 

Are we talking about 1,5MB/s up? Even if you have that upload it should be enough for 2 clients but I could be wrong about that...

Valheim was also a little bit buggy if there was not enough bandwith available...

10 hours ago, Kvo1087 said:

I am in the process of creating another unraid server right now and I could use an intel processor on that one. Is Intel more stable for V rising?

Depends and I really can't give you a clear answer here but Intel gave me none trouble so far where on AMD platforms I had various issues that the container won't start and so on...

I think I also read somewhere similar to your issue but I really couldn't remember if that was on Intel or AMD.

Hello,

I'm unable to have ark SE server working. I install from scratch, I see it in the game browser but when I click join, it fail with connection timeout.

If I try to join from console, I get:

Lost/Timedout connection to host

In the log file, I have this line:

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.

Also, I can only find the server in the lan section.

edit:

I found out the problem is when I need to change the port. Looking at the log file, the new port aren't passed to the commandline. Is there a way to change the queryport and gameport? Changing them in the docker interface doesn't work

Edited by Nodiaque
50 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

I found out the problem is when I need to change the port.

This is simply because a game server isn't something like a web server or a noVNC.

You can't just simply change the port mappings like you do for example for a WebGUI or for SWAG.

You have to first change the ports in the game config or via the command line, for example you can add something like this to the GAME_PARAMS variable in the Docker template:

?Port=7799?QueryPort=27020

and then delete the old port mappings for the Game and Query port in the template and create new ones with the host and container ports to the corresponding ports for like in this case Game Port 7799 UDP and Query Port 27020 UDP.

This is somewhat similar to the Recommende Post on top of this thread to host multiple Valheim servers, but only somewhat similar.

Yeah I found out about the ?PORT later. I'm used to have these things in the config file.

I don't get why recreate the port entry though, I can simply click edit and change the port, which yield the same result in the end.

I manage to have it working when I'm on lan, but I still don't see it in the gamebrowser.

edit: OK I manage to see in the command line what happen when the port aren't recreated. Weird thing is the interface when creating a port doesn't show me the container port. I had to start it, edit again and then the container port showed. Nothing to do with the template, unraid bug I guess

Edited by Nodiaque
29 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

I don't get why recreate the port entry though, I can simply click edit and change the port, which yield the same result in the end.

Because the container and host port has to be the same, otherwise it won‘t work properly.

EDIT: Some query ports send the game port in the first response back to the client and if you just simply changed it in the template from 7777 to 7778 and not in the config then it won‘t work because the client then tries to connect to 7777 instead of 7778 because you only changed the port and not the entire port mapping and the containers port.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ich777 said:

These are client change notes or am I wrong?

I think @TimNL81 is right about a necessary update. I logged onto my server today to see it had started a brand new world. Unfortunately I had changed my backups to only two hours worth and the latest one did not get me my world back. I'm pretty new to UnRaid so I'm unsure if the previous backups would've been sent to some sort of recycling bin.
Dang, been meaning to raise the backups back to the defualt 24 too. Still a learning experience for me and our trio was planning on moving onto V Rising or Terraria very soon anyway so perhaps I can manage to put the lesson to use on the next template.