[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

I've turned off validation.

So some progress, after resetting the server, the world data has come back, so structures that were build have returned, the next issue we have is that when people disconnect from the server, and connect again, they spawn in the plane with no inventory/armour/etc.

So having my appdata set to Prefer: Cache, is this setting okay?

28 minutes ago, Myleslewis said:

So some progress, after resetting the server, the world data has come back, so structures that were build have returned

What? Can you explain a little bit more what you've did?

28 minutes ago, Myleslewis said:

the next issue we have is that when people disconnect from the server, and connect again, they spawn in the plane with no inventory/armour/etc.

Never heard of such an issue because this data is also saved in the save file and tied to the unique ID from the user (SteamID) when connecting to the game.

29 minutes ago, Myleslewis said:

So having my appdata set to Prefer: Cache, is this setting okay?

Yes that is okay, as long as your Cache is not filled up completely and data is copied to the Array.

Just now, ich777 said:

What? Can you explain a little bit more what you've did?

I just restarted the docker and buildings have appeared. When reading online, this has been a common thing for some people, and a simple restart of the server fixed it.

Just struggling with the players restarting from beginning, there seems to be an option to continue which should appear, but doesn't look like it is.

7 minutes ago, Myleslewis said:

I just restarted the docker and buildings have appeared. When reading online, this has been a common thing for some people, and a simple restart of the server fixed it.

Okay, that's I think I hear for the first time.

8 minutes ago, Myleslewis said:

Just struggling with the players restarting from beginning, there seems to be an option to continue which should appear, but doesn't look like it is.

Where should this option appear? Do they start in the Plane again and see the intro again too? Have you changed any server settings so far (config files)?

It seems like something is misconfigured, I've now tried it on my server and it works all OOB without changing any settings, restarted the container multiple times and I've always have my inventory populated with the things that I've had previously.

I believe it should appear after they click join for the first time, from what I've read.

And yeah, they start in the plane again and see the intro too.

The only things I changed in the config files were name of the server, password, contact email address, showlogs on, and server IP

Edited by Myleslewis
added info
1 minute ago, Myleslewis said:

The only things I changed in the config files were name of the server, password, contact email address, showlogs on.

Maybe try to start over without changing anything and see if it's the same, you can change the servername and password too, you should be also able to re-import the savegame too.

2 minutes ago, Myleslewis said:

Just tried it, I've changed the password & server name so I could know which was my server, and when I joined again it put me back into the plane and the things I'd collected were gone from my invetory

I will try this tomorrow again on my machine since it's getting a little late here, but I wasn't able to reproduce this on my machine.

19 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I will try this tomorrow again on my machine since it's getting a little late here, but I wasn't able to reproduce this on my machine.

After trying it again myself, I have now been able to get the appropriate options up, the continue comes up when selecting the server from the list, and then you need to put the password in and click continue again, and I was able to join where I'd left off!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ich777 said:

If you read on you'll see that it says "can't download uNmINeD-GUI', so the download simply failed, nothing more but I don't know exactly why...

This shouldn't happen at all.

Will investigate that further.

EDIT: I really don't know what happened there, even if I do it like in your case it is working and updating just fine:

grafik.png.a417df7f187b0182ab16ec0a0edc8f42.png

But I already showed you my folder contents and .16.tar.gz was in there... I didn't put it there. The system did.
I used that one to extract (so it wasn't a broken download). So the report that it fails to download was wrong.

(is there no check that it is already downloaded?)

Just now, NLS said:

So the report that it fails to download was wrong.

(is there no check that it is already downloaded?)

Of course there is a check in place because otherwise it would download the file over and over again and would try to update the application over and over again, but if it displays this message something went wrong with the download.

Have you tried to restart the container after it failed? If yes what happened then, or did you just extract the files?

6 minutes ago, Myleslewis said:

After trying it again myself, I have now been able to get the appropriate options up, the continue comes up when selecting the server from the list, and then you need to put the password in and click continue again, and I was able to join where I'd left off!

So everything is working now for you? What did you need to change, I haven't changed a single setting and it worked right OOB.

30 minutes ago, ich777 said:

So everything is working now for you? What did you need to change, I haven't changed a single setting and it worked right OOB.

I didn't change anything in addition to the server name etc, I just went into the game again aftet closing it, and the continue option was there this time, where as it definitely wasn't before.

So yes, everything appears to be working fine, thank you for your help!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Of course there is a check in place because otherwise it would download the file over and over again and would try to update the application over and over again, but if it displays this message something went wrong with the download.

Have you tried to restart the container after it failed? If yes what happened then, or did you just extract the files?

Yes I restarted the container several times. Always same message (and no GUI coming up).
In fact, this container (and several others) are usually stopped and I only start them when I need them.
When I found that .16 was already there, I extracted it manually over the other files and this updated it. No errors in the extraction.
Next container restart it verified I am running latest version, so the container worked fine.

BTW... keeping the container offline because it (thought it) failed to update to latest version, is bad practice by itself. Its should allow the container to run, even if it failed to update it.

Edited by NLS

is there a readme or a wiki or something for this? i installed via community apps and i have no idea what to do now. trying to run a project zomboid server. how do i add mods? how do i really do anything?

edit. after some more googling i found this video that told me everything i needed to know. 

Edited by shakinbacon
solved
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, NLS said:

BTW... keeping the container offline because it (thought it) failed to update to latest version, is bad practice by itself. Its should allow the container to run, even if it failed to update it.

I could of course change that but keep in mind that if for someone the download failed the container would loop indefinitely when some binaries are missing and this would cause also the syslog to fill up because every time it automatically restarts it also creates a syslog entry for the network connection that becomes available.

I do most of the things that I‘ve implemented in my containers for a reason. ;)

If the container is stopped I also ensure that the users are coming to the support thread and post about this here.

If this happens again, can you please try to stop the container, remove the downloaded new .tar.gz file and start the container if the same happens again?

I‘m really curious why this even happened on your machine. I‘ve tried now to also abort the download so that it spits out the same error message but the container performs a normal start next time I restart it.

19 hours ago, Myleslewis said:

I didn't change anything in addition to the server name etc, I just went into the game again aftet closing it, and the continue option was there this time, where as it definitely wasn't before.

So yes, everything appears to be working fine, thank you for your help!

@ich777 We have tried to play on the server today, it's been up all night with no issues, last night multiple people were able to connect and disconnect with no loss of progress.

However today, when connecting, there was no continue option, only join so player progress was lost, a reset of the docker has restored world data but player progress was still not present. Where is player data saved, is it server or client side ?

Update: I've figured something out in terms of what's happened, I'll try and detail the order of events as best I can

Server is running over night

Player A connects, no player data (starts at spawn after intro) and no world data (buildings gone)

Player B connects, no player data (starts at spawn after intro) and no world data (buildings gone)

I receive message message on Discord, so try and join the game, I'm not given a 'Continue' option so have to start at spawn.

I ask everyone to disconnect so I can restart the docker.

Player A connects, no player data (starts at spawn after intro) but world data is restored (houses/base is present)

I connect, make my way to the base, disconnect, and reconnect with no problems or loss of progress.

Player C connects for first time since last night, after the above, and progress/inventory etc. is all present as expected.

So it appears that as the server had been restarted before Player C connected, everything worked as it should have.

Edited by Myleslewis
added info
2 hours ago, Myleslewis said:

Update: I've figured something out in terms of what's happened, I'll try and detail the order of events as best I can

I will try to reproduce this on my server and report back in a few days since on weekends I don't have much time for that stuff.

15 hours ago, ich777 said:

I could of course change that but keep in mind that if for someone the download failed the container would loop indefinitely when some binaries are missing and this would cause also the syslog to fill up because every time it automatically restarts it also creates a syslog entry for the network connection that becomes available.

I do most of the things that I‘ve implemented in my containers for a reason. ;)

If the container is stopped I also ensure that the users are coming to the support thread and post about this here.

If this happens again, can you please try to stop the container, remove the downloaded new .tar.gz file and start the container if the same happens again?

I‘m really curious why this even happened on your machine. I‘ve tried now to also abort the download so that it spits out the same error message but the container performs a normal start next time I restart it.

OK will do what I ask in the next update it "hits" the container.

I don't quite understood the reasoning behind not letting the container run if an update fails.
I am talking if an update DOWNLOAD fails (then the "old" version is untouched and working) - then why not let it just run?
If a download is broken and there is no mechanism to just (re)try to finish the download, then don't extract (there is a test for gz to check if the archive is ok), so it won't break the existing install.
In my case the download was there (and downloaded by the system, not by me) and it was complete. But for some reason the update system never used it and reported the error.

Anyway, I guess we'll see what happens next time.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, NLS said:

If a download is broken and there is no mechanism to just (re)try to finish the download, then don't extract (there is a test for gz to check if the archive is ok), so it won't break the existing install.

A restart from the container should have fix the issue and the container should have start again with the old version even if it was not downloaded successfully.

Anyways, I have updated the container with a few bug fixes so that this doesn't happen anymore, at least not like it does now.

Thank you for the report. :)

Hello ich777,

My friend is running a valheim dedicated server using your docker and we have an issue of an disconnect from server for all players on a what seems to be an hourly schedule.  There is a connection error icon that pops up and flashes on and off in the top left of the game screen and we all get kicked at the same time. 

Attempted fixes:

Remove crossplay 

Change worldsave time (less frequent)

There is nothing denoting a problem in the logs from the server either that we can see (we are also not very experienced this is our first server).  Not sure if you have seen anything like this before or if you had any suggestions to resolve.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

12 minutes ago, dremox1 said:

My friend is running a valheim dedicated server using your docker and we have an issue of an disconnect from server for all players on a what seems to be an hourly schedule.  There is a connection error icon that pops up and flashes on and off in the top left of the game screen and we all get kicked at the same time. 

How many players are connected to the server? Are you using the official version or the beta branch where you can test the new update?

What kind of Internet connection does your friend have?

I‘ve never experienced such an issue at all and it seems that something is wrong with the Internet connection here from the server if this also happens when crossplay is enabled.

This is a bit hard to troubleshoot since this is not your server.

Another take on this would be if he has some other things running on the server which maybe restart the container or better speaking, is the container restarted after such a disconnect happens (should be visible in the log)?

11 hours ago, ich777 said:

How many players are connected to the server? Are you using the official version or the beta branch where you can test the new update?

What kind of Internet connection does your friend have?

First just want to thank you for making this awesome docker and taking your time to offer great support.

At most 7 so far but it will disconnect hourly with only one person on.  

Beta

Spectrum basic cable (i think 50mbps)

I‘ve never experienced such an issue at all and it seems that something is wrong with the Internet connection here from the server if this also happens when crossplay is enabled.

This is a bit hard to troubleshoot since this is not your server.

My friend may be able to hop on here and chat too i will follow up he was just at work so i thought i would get it rolling.  Either way he can email me anything you may need to help you look.  

Another take on this would be if he has some other things running on the server which maybe restart the container or better speaking, is the container restarted after such a disconnect happens (should be visible in the log)?

I will ask again, he could also send me the log to send to you if that would help.  We were running a VRising server on the hardware and connection and didn't have any issues.

We have also sort of been tracking disconnects through messages just to get a timing of it (so we know when not to be on a boat).

Hey everyone,

I have the ich777/steamcmd docker container running the Valheim Dedicated Server.  The docker container keeps rebooting itself every 15 seconds or so.  I can't keep the "Logs" open because the container keeps rebooting and resetting the Log window popup.

How can I start to troubleshoot this?  This server is completely vanilla, no mods and it was working a few days ago so I'm unsure what has changed between then and now that is preventing it from working. 

This is the error:

"UPDATE CHECK: ---Something went wrong, can't get current build version for Valheim, disabling Update Check!---"

I've attached a screenshot of the Logs screen before it closed.

firefox_58bZZoxJEF.png