[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

1 hour ago, Dr_Noonia_Soong said:

How can I start to troubleshoot this?  This server is completely vanilla, no mods and it was working a few days ago so I'm unsure what has changed between then and now that is preventing it from working. 

To what is your appdata share set in terms of Use Cache in the Share settings?

Is it set to Yes, No, Prefer or Only?

Please also post a screenshot from your Docker template for Valheim.

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

To what is your appdata share set in terms of Use Cache in the Share settings?

Is it set to Yes, No, Prefer or Only?

Please also post a screenshot from your Docker template for Valheim.

It's set to "Yes : Cache".  I have two SSD's in RAID1.  The second SSD in the cache does have some SMART errors and I'm planning to replace it this weekend but it should be reading/writing cache from the first SSD without any problems. 

Screenshot of template:

SVKFiLWPtK.png

5 hours ago, Dr_Noonia_Soong said:

It's set to "Yes : Cache"

Exactly this is the issue.

In the template the path /mnt/cache/… is set and since you have the mover set to Yes it will move the data of from your Cache to the Array, which in my oppinion makes no sense because the appdata share should stay on the Cache so that your Docker container have fast and quick access to the data they need.

This is also done on purpose in the template because some game servers won‘t even run if they are using the FUSE path /mnt/user/… and not the real file path /mnt/cache/…

You have now two options, the easiest would be to change the path /mnt/cache/…  to /mnt/user/… in the template or the more complicated but better way from my oppinion you set the appdata share to Prefer, stop all your containers, invoke the mover and after the mover finished start the containers back again (this will move the files back from your Array to the Cache).

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, ich777 said:

You have now two options, the easiest would be to change the path /mnt/cache/…  to /mnt/user/… in the template or the more complicated but better way from my oppinion you set the appdata share to Prefer, stop all your containers, invoke the mover and after the mover finished start the containers back again (this will move the files back from your Array to the Cache).

Wow fantastic, I used the more complicated way and everything is back to normal now, thanks!!!

• Like 1
On 12/1/2022 at 11:11 PM, dremox1 said:

Hello ich777,

My friend is running a valheim dedicated server using your docker and we have an issue of an disconnect from server for all players on a what seems to be an hourly schedule.  There is a connection error icon that pops up and flashes on and off in the top left of the game screen and we all get kicked at the same time. 

Attempted fixes:

Remove crossplay 

Change worldsave time (less frequent)

There is nothing denoting a problem in the logs from the server either that we can see (we are also not very experienced this is our first server).  Not sure if you have seen anything like this before or if you had any suggestions to resolve.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

On 12/1/2022 at 11:29 PM, ich777 said:

How many players are connected to the server? Are you using the official version or the beta branch where you can test the new update?

What kind of Internet connection does your friend have?

I‘ve never experienced such an issue at all and it seems that something is wrong with the Internet connection here from the server if this also happens when crossplay is enabled.

This is a bit hard to troubleshoot since this is not your server.

Another take on this would be if he has some other things running on the server which maybe restart the container or better speaking, is the container restarted after such a disconnect happens (should be visible in the log)?

I came here looking for the same thing.

Running in to exactly the same issue with the public test beta.  We have 1-6 players at any given time.  We've used the ich777 container several times before without issue.  The only difference with this one is that I'm using a different appdata location and I've added:

'-beta public-test -betapassword yesimadebackups'

to the 'GAME_ID'.

One interesting thing that I've noticed is that world files are NOT being created in the backups folder.  It remains empty. Since this behavior was happening each hour, and the default backup is 62 min, I tried setting the backup variable to 'false'.   This did not fix the issue and players are still being disconnected about every 60 minutes.

I'm going to keep digging, but so far, I've had no luck.

If I can provide anything to help in troubleshooting, let me know.

Set this variable in the template to false:

grafik.thumb.png.ca250cec53e016c2881bf0697ac77115.png

(I've updated the description from the variable a bit for new installations, the UPDATE_CHECK will only work on the stable branch)

I was just coming back to post that I found that was the issue.  I disabled that since it also happens every 60 minutes and it fixed it.

Thanks for the confirmation.

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm trying to spin a Valheim PTR server. According to doc, I just need to add "-beta public-test -betapassword yesimadebackups" to the launch. I tried adding it to gameparams but it doesn't seem to work. When I try to connect with my client, it says version missmatch.

Thank you

edit: I found out why it doesn't work. It's a steam command. Could you update the start-server.sh script so we can add custom Steam CMD from template like the GAMEPARAMS does for the game launcher? would be great for any of the steam game in the end.

For now, I replaced the script with modified option, but since it's in a place where files aren't saved between container reload, it's not a permanent solution

Edited by Nodiaque

@ich777 Apologies if this isn't the place for the question but I was using your docker for a dedicated server in satisfactory and came across an issue. It looks like my server version" does not match the "game version". I've tried updating, restarting, and uninstalling/reinstalling the docker now but I keep getting the same message when I get into satisfactory. 

I saw in your notes you state to "restart" the container if a new version of the game comes out but wasn't sure if that meant something different from what I tried above?  I'm still pretty new when it comes to this stuff so apologies if it is a dumb question.

2 hours ago, Nodiaque said:

For now, I replaced the script with modified option, but since it's in a place where files aren't saved between container reload, it's not a permanent solution

Why? Please read the variables from the container and you will see how and where to put that, there are multiple posts about that too.

A few posts above yours is the solution:

Please also set the vairiable Automatically Update Game to false like mentioned here:

4 hours ago, sgtdiddlywink said:

I've tried updating, restarting, and uninstalling/reinstalling the docker now but I keep getting the same message when I get into satisfactory. 

I don‘t know if you still have to update the Client (on your local PC) to the experimental branch, that was necessary back then when I created the container.

Have to look into that.

EDIT: I've tried it now and have no issue whatsoever connecting to the server:

grafik.thumb.png.c09662e7ab5b64f923d1f4ef29997e50.png

This is the vanilla Satisfactory container, nothing changed in the template, on the right upper side from the screenshot you can see that I'm connected to the server and on the right lower side that beta or experimental on my local PC (client) is not enabled.

So to speak, if you leave everything as it is (Server and Client side) without anything custom and beta or experimental not enabled everything is working as expected.

8 hours ago, ich777 said:

Why? Please read the variables from the container and you will see how and where to put that, there are multiple posts about that too.

A few posts above yours is the solution:

Please also set the vairiable Automatically Update Game to false like mentioned here:

My search failed when I search for the word ptr thus I didn't see this post. 

But again, I understand it work with the var GAMEID but wouldn't it make the template cleaner to have simple STEAMPARAM so it's explicit? This is more of a "hack" if through another param that just happen to work. 

1 hour ago, Nodiaque said:

but wouldn't it make the template cleaner to have simple STEAMPARAM so it's explicit? This is more of a "hack" if through another param that just happen to work. 

No, this is not in any way a hack.

Why would you even consider that this is a hack? I think in all of my templates it is mentioned that if you want to use a static, beta or whatever version you have to append -beta, -beta experimental or whatever the case is.

You always have to append the parameters for a beta or experimental branch to the GAME_ID or better speaking Steam App ID and these parameters ar tied to the GAME_ID.

A hack would be if you pass over another SteamCMD parameter for example +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows in the GAME_ID variable.

A hack is using something that is meant for one thing for another. In the template, under game_ID, is just say to input gameid from a list. I also don't see anywhere that it says to use this to pass other command to steam. Maybe I got the only template without that info? Still, if a param says GAME_ID, I don't expect to input anything else under GAME_ID. Does it work? Yes, I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm saying it's far from obvious that other steamcmd should be enter under this param, specially when there's so many other variable and even a game params one. I'm simply offering a suggestion that would simply make it easier to see "hey there's a place to put steam cmd" that will change 3 lines in the exec script. In the end, you're the owner, you do what you want.

image.thumb.png.35c981ebf8e2ebc5febda9f3c48877cc.png

Edited by Nodiaque
31 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

A hack is using something that is meant for one thing for another. In the template, under game_ID, is just say to input gameid from a list.

Then you have a really old template:

Valheim:

grafik.thumb.png.a2de1c338b35c8f796b5a610a60ff133.png

7DtD:

grafik.thumb.png.45cf794831ed4b1bee068cee8273cd93.png

Satisfactory:

grafik.thumb.png.beea2f62b375c4ca5a96f64d1113708a.png

I added this descriptions about a year ago if I'm not mistaken because especially for 7DtD users this wasn't really clear how to do.

31 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

I'm saying it's far from obvious that other steamcmd should be enter under this param, specially when there's so many other variable and even a game params one. I'm simply offering a suggestion that would simply make it easier to see "hey there's a place to put steam cmd" that will change 3 lines in the exec script. In the end, you're the owner, you do what you want.

Thank you for the suggestion but not every user is doing it properly like you do it here, you even can put it in like that:

beta public-test betapassword yesimadebackups

without the dashes but this will only work if you append it right after the Steam ID.

I'm not completely against what you are saying but you have to keep that in mind what I've wrote above without the dashes, I really don't want to make things more complicated and most users get it how to do it, especially new users which will see the description.

If you look up several tutorials on how to install a experimental or beta branch it is common practice to put it right after the GAME_ID and strictly speaking it is tied to the GAME_ID

11 hours ago, ich777 said:

I don‘t know if you still have to update the Client (on your local PC) to the experimental branch, that was necessary back then when I created the container.

Have to look into that.

EDIT: I've tried it now and have no issue whatsoever connecting to the server:

This is the vanilla Satisfactory container, nothing changed in the template, on the right upper side from the screenshot you can see that I'm connected to the server and on the right lower side that beta or experimental on my local PC (client) is not enabled.

So to speak, if you leave everything as it is (Server and Client side) without anything custom and beta or experimental not enabled everything is working as expected.

I went back through and confirmed everything was vanilla on my side as well. Nothing changed from when I installed the docker and BETA turned off on steam side as well. See below for the message I keep receiving when I connect to the server. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.ff37068e4821bd7ae8936a97132fe96c.JPG

And here is the docker page.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.eea9c0e9462f57837e530003d2b876ee.JPG

I appreciate your time and let me know if I'm missing something obvious.

55 minutes ago, sgtdiddlywink said:

I appreciate your time and let me know if I'm missing something obvious.

Have you removed the satisfactory folder too which lives in your appdata directory before reinstalling the container?

I can confirm that my container is on version 209846

4 minutes ago, Necrotic said:

Question: Is this right? seems the update for the docker is unlinked which makes me think something in my config is off

No, this is not related.

The container pulls the game on the first start and it is saved to the appdata directory.

Please answer the question: have you removed the satisfactory folder from your appdata directory before reinstalling the container from the CA App?

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Then you have a really old template:

Valheim:

grafik.thumb.png.a2de1c338b35c8f796b5a610a60ff133.png

7DtD:

grafik.thumb.png.45cf794831ed4b1bee068cee8273cd93.png

Satisfactory:

grafik.thumb.png.beea2f62b375c4ca5a96f64d1113708a.png

I added this descriptions about a year ago if I'm not mistaken because especially for 7DtD users this wasn't really clear how to do.

Thank you for the suggestion but not every user is doing it properly like you do it here, you even can put it in like that:

beta public-test betapassword yesimadebackups

without the dashes but this will only work if you append it right after the Steam ID.

I'm not completely against what you are saying but you have to keep that in mind what I've wrote above without the dashes, I really don't want to make things more complicated and most users get it how to do it, especially new users which will see the description.

If you look up several tutorials on how to install a experimental or beta branch it is common practice to put it right after the GAME_ID and strictly speaking it is tied to the GAME_ID

I understand. With the new template having the information for it, it's already more obvious that it can be used for something else. 

• Like 1

No, this is not related.

The container pulls the game on the first start and it is saved to the appdata directory.

Please answer the question: have you removed the satisfactory folder from your appdata directory before reinstalling the container from the CA App?

Looks like the folder for satisfactory and steamcmd are still in appdata. Do I need to remove both directories completely from appdata? 

8 hours ago, sgtdiddlywink said:

satisfactory

If you remove this folder from your appdata directory it should do the job just fine.

Just make sure that you remove the container first, then the above mentioned directory and then pull a fresh copy from the CA App.

Usually the container should pull the update on it's own, don't know what's preventing that on your system, do you maybe have some AdBlocker or something like that on your network?

9 hours ago, ich777 said:

Usually the container should pull the update on it's own, don't know what's preventing that on your system, do you maybe have some AdBlocker or something like that on your network?

No adblocker on the system. I only removed the "satisfactory" directory and left the "steamcmd" directory in place. Now I'm just getting the message that the "The server appears to be offline". Which is weird because the address and port should still be the same? Any issues with me wiping both the "satisfactory" and "steamcmd" directory and reinstalling the container completely?