[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

9 hours ago, ich777 said:

Please try to add this variable in the template and see if it makes a difference:

grafik.png.82c89b04188c66d106719bd6ecbedda1.png

This did it, I think. I am now able to load up and play a mission! 

On what hardware do you run the container?

Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz on a Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z87N-WIFI rev.2.0. So 64bit.

But one mission does work?

No. Before adding the force x86 variable, I was not able to get past the mission loading spash screen. It would just lose connection and the server would crash.

Seems like x86 is the only way to run it on my hardware.

Thanks for the help!

8 hours ago, CouchPawTayTow said:

Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz on a Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z87N-WIFI rev.2.0. So 64bit.

Yes, this is caused because your CPU is a bit to old now for the game and missing some instruction sets to fully support the 64bit version from the game.

I'm trying to find the root cause of why steamcmd doesn't work (anymore) for me only on my docker system. I tried pterodactyl and they seem to be using the same base steamcmd as you, so they fail with same error.

But looking at this docker, which is a plain steamcmd, it work

https://hub.docker.com/r/steamcmd/steamcmd

Have any clue of the difference with your steamcmd layer? I tried copying steamcmd from one to another and it still doesn't work. I also stumbed on this (https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/3118150513198726419/) but unfortunatly it didn't work either

7 hours ago, Nodiaque said:

I tried pterodactyl and they seem to be using the same base steamcmd as you, so they fail with same error.

What do you mean with that?

My container downloads the official SteamCMD client on the first start from Steam and the executes it…

I don‘t do anything custom with SteamCMD.

why does the server refuse to connect if I use a custom network adapter? I want to use my custom br0 to give my ARK server a custom local IP but every time I do that, it refuses to map the ports to the IP. its worked for the other dockers I've been running but for some reason it refuses on this one. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

where da ports.png

54 minutes ago, SugoiShades said:

its worked for the other dockers I've been running but for some reason it refuses on this one.

It is also working for Ark.

As @Nodiaque said, br0 will open all ports to the specified IP in the docker template, you can think of it as being a dedicated computer on your network. It simply doesn't show any ports because I don't specify ports in my Dockerfile which can cause even more confusion...

Nothing to worry about. ;)

On 2/18/2023 at 12:37 AM, ich777 said:

What do you mean with that?

My container downloads the official SteamCMD client on the first start from Steam and the executes it…

I don‘t do anything custom with SteamCMD.

What I meant by that is both your docker and pterodactyl are using 1 layer that are the same. Maybe it's the debian base, I don't know. But when I downloaded a node for ptero, it downloaded everything except 1 layer. I tried deleting everything from you and ptero, it downloaded all layer. When I tried back with one container from you, it skipped 1 layer. Doesn't mean much, just that these 2 have the same steamcmd error while the other docker I found that simply run steamcmd work no problem. I'm simply trying to wrap my head on what's going on. 

I know it's not your container that is problematic, I'm just trying to understand what and why. 

10 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

What I meant by that is both your docker and pterodactyl are using 1 layer that are the same.

Really, can you tell me which?

It is really unlikely that the both use the same layer because I have my own base image (which is based on Debian Bullseye slim), I also have my own Dockerfile and SteamCMD is not included in those layers.

Do you maybe have another container installed from me since all my images are basically based on the same custom base image or have you dangling images on your system (turn on advanced view and look at the bottom).

45 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

Br0 won't show you the port mapping. It's like that for everything. Bridge and Br0 are 2 different docker network. Br0 open all port to that ip and you can't change the port. 

really? because it works just fine for br0 on my minecraft server/it shows me the app to host port mappings just fine. in any case, I can't even get it to show up on LAN. steam just says no LAN servers and I can't tell what I'm doing wrong. is there an official setup guide somewhere I can reference? I'm flying by the seat of my pants and appear to be failing miserably

da ports.png

53 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Really, can you tell me which?

It is really unlikely that the both use the same layer because I have my own base image (which is based on Debian Bullseye slim), I also have my own Dockerfile and SteamCMD is not included in those layers.

Do you maybe have another container installed from me since all my images are basically based on the same custom base image or have you dangling images on your system (turn on advanced view and look at the bottom).

I really don't know. All I saw is when I had ark from you installed and then I installed the node, the first layer was already present. When I tried without ark install (was only server), it download the first layer. 

It might be the debian base since both are debian. I don't know. In the end, it doesn't really matter. It was just something I saw on both container where steamcmd fail vs the one that work. 

45 minutes ago, SugoiShades said:

really? because it works just fine for br0 on my minecraft server/it shows me the app to host port mappings just fine.

This is none of my containers... As said above, I don't expose ports in the Docker file because it can lead to more confusion. Just imagine you are changing the port in the template and nothing changes on the WebGUI, btw try it on the binhex container, it won't change anything and will still show the ports from the screenshot and even if you change the ports in the template while using br0 this won't work because as said above all ports are exposed.

48 minutes ago, SugoiShades said:

I can't even get it to show up on LAN. steam just says no LAN servers and I can't tell what I'm doing wrong.

With that little information that you've share so far no one can help...

Please share at least a screenshot from your Docker template, did you change anything to the server or the files?

How do you search the game? Did you yet tried to add the IP and PORT to the Steam Server Browser favorites an clicked Refresh?

One side question why are you not using the default bridge network? I wouldn't recommend br0 but it's up to you anyways.

14 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

It might be the debian base since both are debian. I don't know. In the end, it doesn't really matter. It was just something I saw on both container where steamcmd fail vs the one that work. 

Sorry but I really can't help with your issue, I'm simply out of ideas what to try next and why it isn't working for you because I simply can't reproduce this on my end... :/

2 hours ago, SugoiShades said:

why does the server refuse to connect if I use a custom network adapter? I want to use my custom br0 to give my ARK server a custom local IP but every time I do that, it refuses to map the ports to the IP. its worked for the other dockers I've been running but for some reason it refuses on this one. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

where da ports.png

I cannot get my Ark server through UNRAID Docker to show up in any server browser.

How did you get yours to show up so people can connect?

On 2/5/2023 at 2:19 AM, ich777 said:

Because the container uses the basic listen and RCON port as it is specified in the template.

You should be able to do it like that but I would rather recommend doing it in the template like:

grafik.thumb.png.7c385023b9ca84c6a48a7900f2045a63.png

But please keep in mind that you have to delete the old port forwarding in the template and create new ones with the appropriate ports set with container and host port to the same as you've specified.

Ark is a really convoluted game in terms of the in game server list, I would recommend that you first try to add it in the Steam Server Browser in your Favorites and see if it shows up properly.

I tried all this and it still would not show up in any game browser.

How long roughly should I be waiting? Because I've let the container run for 8 hours before and came home after work to see if it was in steam or ark server browsers, and it was not.

4 minutes ago, SadgePanda said:

I cannot get my Ark server through UNRAID Docker to show up in any server browser.

How did you get yours to show up so people can connect?

Did you port forward every port? I don't know what other docker you have but you cannot have 2 server on same port even on different internal ip. Even if you route from a different port, the game will want to say hey that's my port, connect to this port. If the ark browser cannot connect, it won't show. 

There's also a good 10 to 20min delay between server up and seeing it on the browser. 

I'm probably sure you have a port forwarding issue. Your last screenshot showed 2 ark server, which would cause problem if neither of them use different port. You can check on ark wiki for the port used and how to change them (its not just changing the port in the docker template, ark require extra game param) 

35 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Sorry but I really can't help with your issue, I'm simply out of ideas what to try next and why it isn't working for you because I simply can't reproduce this on my end... :/

No problem, I know it's not a problem with your container per say. I'm trying to find some docker /unraid guru but so far, everyone is baffled. Specially since while being in your container, I can reach internet no problem! And also since it's also working in debian docker image, a vm and some other docker. If only it was the same result across the board, could at least have something to analyse. 

16 minutes ago, Nodiaque said:

Did you port forward every port? I don't know what other docker you have but you cannot have 2 server on same port even on different internal ip. Even if you route from a different port, the game will want to say hey that's my port, connect to this port. If the ark browser cannot connect, it won't show. 

There's also a good 10 to 20min delay between server up and seeing it on the browser. 

I'm probably sure you have a port forwarding issue. Your last screenshot showed 2 ark server, which would cause problem if neither of them use different port. You can check on ark wiki for the port used and how to change them (its not just changing the port in the docker template, ark require extra game param) 

Thats not my screenshot, I was asking how they allegedly have their server working.

I will recheck my port forwarding real quick, but I highly doubt its a port issue on my end.

Ark should just "work," but its not showing up in the browser(s).

Edited by SadgePanda
4 hours ago, ich777 said:

This is none of my containers... As said above, I don't expose ports in the Docker file because it can lead to more confusion. Just imagine you are changing the port in the template and nothing changes on the WebGUI, btw try it on the binhex container, it won't change anything and will still show the ports from the screenshot and even if you change the ports in the template while using br0 this won't work because as said above all ports are exposed.

With that little information that you've share so far no one can help...

Please share at least a screenshot from your Docker template, did you change anything to the server or the files?

How do you search the game? Did you yet tried to add the IP and PORT to the Steam Server Browser favorites an clicked Refresh?

One side question why are you not using the default bridge network? I wouldn't recommend br0 but it's up to you anyways.

okay, the main reason I don't want to use the bridge is because I want each of my servers to use a different local IP address so I can manage port forwarding from my router better. I don't want to expose my actual UnRaid server's IP address to the internet at large by various ports, id rather just expose the virtualized docker and the one or two ports it needs to minimize damage should something happen
so I'll just say it, my UnRaid's IP ends in .90 and sequentially from there every docker I have on it is increased by 1
for example my MC server is .91 and I want the ARK server to be .92
the only way I was able to do this other than adding additional physical network adapters was to use br0 (at least that's what my friend who helped me initially set it up said)
I want to just be able to go to my router and make a rule saying go from public IP port 27015 and go to internal IP ending in .92 and call it a day. I don't want to expose my actual unraid's IP because that feels like more a vulnerability right?

and sorry, I didn't quite understand what you meant by not exposing the ports in the docker until now. I tried messing around with it on the binhex server and got the result you said I would. sorry I didn't get it right away, I'm still at the stage of re-learning how docker works every time I add a new docker.

I've attached a image of my docker template, its pretty much default other than deleting and re-adding ports like I've seen people mention on here (I think I did, I've deleted the docker and reinstalled it several times so I can't tell if I've done it on this one yet)

I tried adding the IP and port in the steam server browser and I get absolutely nothing in this current config.

docker template.png

server status.png

You don't need Br0 to do what you want. But yes, using bridge will work. But unraid doesn't care about your port assignment in the ui (well in fact docker doesn't either). Why? Because all port are open when using Br0. The port won't be reflect on the Gui just like in host mode, reason is the docker can use whatever it wants and you don't have to worry about port assignment. It will show them if they are cooked in the docker template file (which you don't see in unraid) and ich77 already stated he doesn't declare them in the template. 

But let's say you have Conan exiles and ark server. Both are steam game, which mean both have query port 27015. How would you forward this port to both container? Cannot be done. This mean you need to change the port of one of the 2 game. This mean changing configuration in the server settings outside unraid and for that, you need to check each respective game. This is one of the good reason to not include port in the template. 

Same goes for the game port. Often, game port are the same for many steam games. 7777 and 7778 TCP and udp are the one most common port. This mean you also need to change the listen port. You need to change that in your game server, either by extra games param for games like ark or through change in server config file. Then, you forward those ports to the corresponding server. 

BTW, opening each port to a docker network vs your unraid ip doesn't make any security. Why? Because in the end, the packet goes to your unraid server nic anyway since the Br0 is a virtual nic. Opening each port on custom bridge network vs using Br0 is not less secure. You still are forwarding that port in direction of your server nic. 

5 hours ago, ich777 said:

I HAVE GOOD NEWS!!!! I just tried something, I though maybe something on my docker is screwing something. I pressed stop all, then started only ark.... and steamcmd started!!! So one of my 60 dockers is doing something weird to steamcmd on certain docker. Starting the investigation now. At least now, I have somewhere to point my arrow!

edit: wow, I don't understand anything! I started one by one each container, restarting my ark server each time. Upon starting each container back, all my game server are still working even after a reboot. It's a weird big mystery!

Edited by Nodiaque
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Nodiaque said:

You don't need Br0 to do what you want. But yes, using bridge will work. But unraid doesn't care about your port assignment in the ui (well in fact docker doesn't either). Why? Because all port are open when using Br0. The port won't be reflect on the Gui just like in host mode, reason is the docker can use whatever it wants and you don't have to worry about port assignment. It will show them if they are cooked in the docker template file (which you don't see in unraid) and ich77 already stated he doesn't declare them in the template. 

But let's say you have Conan exiles and ark server. Both are steam game, which mean both have query port 27015. How would you forward this port to both container? Cannot be done. This mean you need to change the port of one of the 2 game. This mean changing configuration in the server settings outside unraid and for that, you need to check each respective game. This is one of the good reason to not include port in the template. 

Same goes for the game port. Often, game port are the same for many steam games. 7777 and 7778 TCP and udp are the one most common port. This mean you also need to change the listen port. You need to change that in your game server, either by extra games param for games like ark or through change in server config file. Then, you forward those ports to the corresponding server. 

BTW, opening each port to a docker network vs your unraid ip doesn't make any security. Why? Because in the end, the packet goes to your unraid server nic anyway since the Br0 is a virtual nic. Opening each port on custom bridge network vs using Br0 is not less secure. You still are forwarding that port in direction of your server nic. 

okay so if its opening all ports to that IP on br0, why can't I find it on my local network or get it to connect to the server in the server browser? I have nothing else fighting to use those ports, and my LAN firewall should let local things talk to eachother, so why doesn't it?

7 hours ago, SadgePanda said:

1 hour ago, SugoiShades said:

okay so if its opening all ports to that IP on br0, why can't I find it on my local network or get it to connect to the server in the server browser?

That's a thing I can't answer...

I've now pulled a fresh copy from the CA App and have no issue that the server is showing up in the Steam Server Browser:

screenshot1.thumb.png.ed799a9dcb9f964a44d8d28b6fb47336.png

screenshot2.png.dbefdce943dee6b950a5bbaef78fdfa9.png

Have both of you just yet tried to run a complete vanilla version from the container without changing anything in the template and/or config files?

I've attached also the log from the first start up from the container itself: ark.log