[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

As ValheimPlus is not being updated very often and many servers are just using V+ to allow more players, how about adding something else for that to this docker? Seems like MaxPlayerCount by Azumatt will work as a server only mod for this. (Will require BepInEx obviously)

7 hours ago, weaselwoop said:

Am I trying to enable crossplay incorrectly? If not, any ideas on how to fix this crossplay issue?

No, everything seems right on your side.

The option "-crossplay" uses a proxy server which ultimately enables cross play between different platforms and AFAIK if you enable cross play then you won't be able to access to use the local IP to connect to your server, you have to use the in game server list to connect to it and direct connection won't work <- please also note that you have to forward your ports too for cross play in your firewall to work properly.

6 hours ago, Bjurran said:

As ValheimPlus is not being updated very often and many servers are just using V+ to allow more players, how about adding something else for that to this docker? Seems like MaxPlayerCount by Azumatt will work as a server only mod for this. (Will require BepInEx obviously)

Please keep in mind that modding is always up to the user.

I've already built in ValheimPlus and BepInEx even if this is against my defaults because there was such high demand that I add this to the container.

However you should be able to do this yourself if you enable BepInEx in the Docker template and add the mod manually.

12 hours ago, ich777 said:

No, everything seems right on your side.

The option "-crossplay" uses a proxy server which ultimately enables cross play between different platforms and AFAIK if you enable cross play then you won't be able to access to use the local IP to connect to your server, you have to use the in game server list to connect to it and direct connection won't work <- please also note that you have to forward your ports too for cross play in your firewall to work properly.

Thanks for the info. I've deleted/reinstalled the server and changed it to be public so it would show in the server browser. I've forwarded ports 2456-2458 on my router and have confirmed my Windows Defender Firewall has inbound rules allowing Valheim ports access. 

My server does not show up in the community server browser both with and without crossplay enabled. Without crossplay I can still connect via internal and external IP addresses on Steam.

Any other ideas? Thanks again for the help!

Edit to add: I waited about 30 minutes on the community server browser, refreshing every 10 minutes or so, can't seem to get it to show up in the browser.

Last edit: I believe I found the issue. I have pi hole set up on my unraid server with it's own static IP. When I got that configured I think my router got some wires crossed and it somehow messed up my port forwarding. I deleted and redid the port forwards to my unraid server's IP address and I can now access the server from the game pass version.

Edited by weaselwoop
Solution found
  • Like 1

So there are 2 things I am concerned about before even testing crossplay on my servers.

The first one is the fact that the world name is rarely available for people to see in the game even if they have added the server to their list. It is visible if using https://geekstrom.de/valheim/check/ so it is visible to the public, but not in the game.
(BTW, big shoutout to the person providing that site! I love it!)

If the name was there it should be easier to find it. This is nothing new, it's been like this for many months but as I have my own domain it's usually not an issue but will it affect people if I turn on crossplay?

The 2nd issue is the fact that there is something going on when I'm listed as admin and connecting from the same network. I have to use the internal IP or I will get disconnected after about a minute. That is ok now as I can use the local IP on my network, but as I understand it I will no longer be able to do so if I enable crossplay.
As it's working fine when I connect to the local IP I am assuming that there must be another port that we are not able to portforward as it is?

On 3/13/2023 at 4:12 PM, ich777 said:

Can you please share a screenshot form your template?

Are you also stopping the container first, edit the files and then finally start the container again?

Do you have a cache drive installed? To what is your appdata share set in terms of Use Cache?

So basically ValheimPlus needs to be updated to support Valheim again, correct?

I want to downgrade back to the version of the game what worked with Valheim plus. I changed the GAME_ID field to 896660 -beta 0.213.4 which is the previous version and it didn't downgrade.  

Is there a better direction you can point me?

3 minutes ago, rednick69 said:

Did you set validation to "true"?

Please turn off validation after the game has be downgraded because otherwise this will slow down the start process from the container and is not recommended at all to leave it at enabled.

15 minutes ago, Bjurran said:

crossplay

I really can't help with crossplay since I've only tested if it's working and it's indeed working.

Maybe someone else can help with that or you can at least try if everything is working with crossplay since you always can go back to non crossplay.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Did you set validation to "true"?

Please turn off validation after the game has be downgraded because otherwise this will slow down the start process from the container and is not recommended at all to leave it at enabled.

I have the Validate Installation field blank. According to the log after the Valheim server starts, it states that the game is up to date. It appears to not do anything at all. 

4 hours ago, rednick69 said:

I have the Validate Installation field blank.

If you change the version or better speaking the GAME_ID, you have to set validation to true because the version that you‘ve set it to is older than the current version.

That‘s why you get this message.

Set validation to true, let the container start, wait for it to downgrade (look at the logs), after the download finished stop the container, disable validation and then start the container again.

23 hours ago, rednick69 said:

I want to downgrade back to the version of the game what worked with Valheim plus. I changed the GAME_ID field to 896660 -beta 0.213.4 which is the previous version and it didn't downgrade.  

Try putting in the GAME_ID field 896660 -beta default_old

This should roll it back for you... at least until the next stabe patch is released.

There was also a Valheim Plus alpha release done through their discord last night / this morning depending on where you are.

My challenge at the moment is after rolling the server back to 0.213.4 I can't get it to update to 0.214.2 to test the new plugin version.

7 hours ago, Memanoth said:

I can't get it to update to 0.214.2 to test the new plugin version.

If it really doesn‘t want to upgrade stop the container, backup your saves and Backup folder, remove everything in the Valheim directory, do a force update from the container, set the GAME_ID to whatever you need, start the container, wait for it to finish the download, stop the container, copy your save and Backup folder back to the game directory and start the container again.

Hi everyone,

i just installed the Valheim Server on unraid and according to https://geekstrom.de/valheim/check/ it's up and running. i did port forwarding and everything following the SPX guide. BUT - i cannot join the server on my xbox and neither my friends. i tried it using the local ip and the dyndns adress (which i used as input https://geekstrom.de/valheim/check/ here). but no chance to connect. do i need to configure anything special that xboxes can connect. Don't have a pc to check unfortunately.

On 3/17/2023 at 11:49 AM, ich777 said:

Did you add:

-crossplay

to the GAME_PARAMS in the template?

I am having the same issue. Server works great without -crossplay parameter but doesn't work when -crossplay is added. I was able to confirm that someone else in the Valheim discord had the same issue. Seems like it's unique to this particular docker.

Sounds good. Please let me know what I can share to help the process. I can tell you the following:

- Container works fine for steam users without the '-crossplay' parameter
- Container does not work for anyone, including steam users when the '-crossplay' parameter is added
- I am using the most up to date unRaid version of your docker as of yesterday afternoon

1 hour ago, DIgitalOSH said:

Sounds good. Please let me know what I can share to help the process. I can tell you the following:

No issue over here:

grafik.thumb.png.ea999534004d6b060cae2babfae08964.png

Please try to connect the server is currently running, as you can see this is indeed a Dedicated Server and crossplay is enabled form the icons right next to the server.

The password is: Docker

EDIT: I've created another screenshot here where you can see that I can successful connect with my Steam Account through Playfab (crossplay), sorry I don't have any consoles:

grafik.thumb.png.2e2278b466a67ea38b45c2033c868450.png

2 minutes ago, DIgitalOSH said:

but not my steam deck

I've also tested my Deck and I can find the game just fine and connect to it (please note that I'm in the Preview channel).

3 minutes ago, DIgitalOSH said:

using both the internal IP and the global IP

You have to search by name.

Are you sure that you password is at least 6 characters and you don't have any special characters in it?

I can't help what's wrong in your case, everything is looking fine as far as I can tell.

Just now, ich777 said:

You have to search by name.

Sorry, I meant my own server.
I was able to connect to yours with xbox but not steam deck.
I was not able to connect to MY server with either device, on either local or global IP.
When I remove the -crossplay argument and change nothing else, I can connect with my steam deck, but not my xbox (expected behaviour)

In case you understood what I meant, I will now try doing name lookup for my own server.

I can confirm the password is 6 characters and has no special characters.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Yes exactly, when you play over Playfab I have reports that it's not visible through the local network anymore, but that's not the case for me.

Interesting. That may be possible, however it doesn't show up anywhere. Either with or without the crossplay flag enabled. Feel free
to search for it yourself, name is "AD87 Mordor"

I think the server may be failing to start up when the -crossplay flag is enabled. How can I see the appropriate logs for that, to share?

@Spectral Force
I believe so, as I was able to connect to it via global IP when the -crossplay flag was not present. I have forwarded port 2456. both UDP and TCP.