[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

I have a problem updating my ARK server to the latest version it will stay on 3.10.68. I tried using true for the validation section of the server. I will see the validation but the server afterwards will not get the new version.

Here is my sartup log with the validation set to true:

---Checking if UID: 99 matches user---
---Checking if GID: 100 matches user---
---Setting umask to 000---
---Checking for optional scripts---
---No optional script found, continuing---
---Starting...---
---Update SteamCMD---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...Warning: failed to init SDL thread priority manager: SDL not found

OK.
Logging in user '****' to Steam Public ...
Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK
---Update Server---
---Validating installation---
Loading Steam API...Warning: failed to init SDL thread priority manager: SDL not found

OK.
Logging in user '******' to Steam Public ...
Logged in OK
Update state (0x0) : Timed out waiting for update to start, bailing.
Error! App '376030' state is 0x204 after update job.

---Prepare Server---
---Server ready---
---Start Server---
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 346110

This is my docker settings page:

797349285_Aantekening2020-05-22195450.thumb.png.cf375ad1695be476bd6b0456822ac8a2.png

I also tested with steamuser and pass with the steamguard disabled. Also tested without the user and pass being present but been getting that dreadfull Error! App '376030' state is 0x204 after update job. error which could mean dns issue. disks space issues or chache issues.

Cleared the cache and it was downloaded again from steam point of view. Disk space issue I don't know how to solve or if there are any. Currenlty the game is sitting on disk1 which is at 11% capacity. 

Dns seems to be working fine.

Would be nice to get some pointers on this.

And off course keep up the good work.

Regards,

Mali.

4 hours ago, Malbolgia said:

I have a problem updating my ARK server to the latest version it will stay on 3.10.68. I tried using true for the validation section of the server. I will see the validation but the server afterwards will not get the new version.

Here is my sartup log with the validation set to true:

---Checking if UID: 99 matches user---
---Checking if GID: 100 matches user---
---Setting umask to 000---
---Checking for optional scripts---
---No optional script found, continuing---
---Starting...---
---Update SteamCMD---

OK.
Logging in user '****' to Steam Public ...
Logged in OK
---Update Server---
---Validating installation---

OK.
Logging in user '******' to Steam Public ...
Logged in OK
Update state (0x0) : Timed out waiting for update to start, bailing.
Error! App '376030' state is 0x204 after update job.

---Prepare Server---
---Server ready---
---Start Server---
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 346110

This is my docker settings page:

I also tested with steamuser and pass with the steamguard disabled. Also tested without the user and pass being present but been getting that dreadfull Error! App '376030' state is 0x204 after update job. error which could mean dns issue. disks space issues or chache issues.

Cleared the cache and it was downloaded again from steam point of view. Disk space issue I don't know how to solve or if there are any. Currenlty the game is sitting on disk1 which is at 11% capacity. 

Dns seems to be working fine.

Would be nice to get some pointers on this.

And off course keep up the good work.

Regards,

Mali.

In the last time i get a lot of reports that the ark container doesn't properly update.

Have you installed pihole somewhere in you network?

Also i also think Steam itself struggles a little bit with updates.

Look at thestats how many players are online...

I think they changed the way updadates are handeled.

For ark you don't have to insert a username and password.

6 hours ago, SpaceFanatic said:

Is there any way to add an auto update option to the Terraria server docker? With the new patch the released recently they have been doing small bug fixes and it would be great to be able to upgrade to the new versions automatically.

If you have installed the latest version of the container it will always check if there is a new version if you set it to version 1.4.0.2 or higher on every start/restart of the container (the log should also say that).

Edited by ich777
On 5/22/2020 at 5:02 PM, Natcoso9955 said:

The database is incomplete and as such the command gets dropped by csmm. can you do me a favour, upload you 7dtd.sql file located in data_dir/Database.

So after reloading the docker numerous times and cloning the sql file, i then imported them manually and exported them manually, i have most of the tables.

I think manually running the nodejs app.js command with a larger timeout helped, but its not perfect.
If im right, im going to suggest that you increase the timeout in your start-server.sh file.

Confirming now.

Edited by Natcoso9955
11 hours ago, ich777 said:

In the last time i get a lot of reports that the ark container doesn't properly update.

Have you installed pihole somewhere in you network?

Also i also think Steam itself struggles a little bit with updates.

Look at thestats how many players are online...

I think they changed the way updadates are handeled.

For ark you don't have to insert a username and password.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I am not using pihole in het network. I used to host a csgo server and steam idd can be difficult at times.

I tested with and without a user just for testing.

Can I get a shell within the docker to do the update manually ? with steamcmd command?

Has the docker when it comes down to limits of disk space it can use?

Regards,

Mali.

4 hours ago, Natcoso9955 said:

So after reloading the docker numerous times and cloning the sql file, i then imported them manually and exported them manually, i have most of the tables.

I think manually running the nodejs app.js command with a larger timeout helped, but its not perfect.
If im right, im going to suggest that you increase the timeout in your start-server.sh file.

Confirming now.

I can confirm that unless your timeout 60 nodejs .../app.js command completes in the given time the database doesnt end up with all the tables.
If you are missing even 1 entry you cannot sign in, and csmm timesout and that is what was causing my 502 error. (Not the proxy)

@ich777 I'd suggest modifying you start-server.sh file to have a longer timeout, or update the container so it can be set as a variable.

6 hours ago, Natcoso9955 said:

I can confirm that unless your timeout 60 nodejs .../app.js command completes in the given time the database doesnt end up with all the tables.
If you are missing even 1 entry you cannot sign in, and csmm timesout and that is what was causing my 502 error. (Not the proxy)

@ich777 I'd suggest modifying you start-server.sh file to have a longer timeout, or update the container so it can be set as a variable.

I pulled the container from the CA App because I simply haven't enough time at the moment to look into this.

I will release it again if I got time for this. :)

9 hours ago, Malbolgia said:

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I am not using pihole in het network. I used to host a csgo server and steam idd can be difficult at times.

I tested with and without a user just for testing.

Can I get a shell within the docker to do the update manually ? with steamcmd command?

Has the docker when it comes down to limits of disk space it can use?

Regards,

Mali.

In my containers if the username and password isn't marked as required you don't need it. ;)

Yes, click on it and select console then you have access to the console.

Type in 'bash' then 'su steam' and then you can update the container.

The path to steamcmd is /serverdata/steamcmd; to the serferfolder itself /serverdata/serverfiles this should be all you need, you also can use this command if you are inside the shell of the container: '${STEAMCMD_DIR}/steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir ${SERVER_DIR} +app_update ${GAME_ID} +quit' (without quotes) it will fill in the required paths automatically, simply paste it there. ;)

If you are done with everything type two times 'exit' (first time to logout the steam user and the second time to exit the container shell).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

I pulled the container from the CA App because I simply haven't enough time at the moment to look into this.

I mean you literally just need to replace one bit of code to be a variable and add the variable to docker template. done.
Oh and include a note that if people have issues, check the prod.log and if it says missing table, increase timeout, delete 7dtd.sql file and restart container.

I hope you do end up making the change, this is so useful for remote management. (then again it may only be me having this issue but i dont know why, my system is super over spec'd)

10 minutes ago, Natcoso9955 said:

I mean you literally just need to replace one bit of code to be a variable and add the variable to docker template. done.
Oh and include a note that if people have issues, check the prod.log and if it says missing table, increase timeout, delete 7dtd.sql file and restart container.

I hope you do end up making the change, this is so useful for remote management. (then again it may only be me having this issue but i dont know why, my system is super over spec'd)

It's not that easy.

What do people do that doesnt have that variable in their template? The container simply wont start.

It's not that easy and i want to test things if they work properly (lately i've done a quick change to the terraria container because the devs of the game change some things. Because I am simply not have the time atm and i didn't test it and didn't thought of other things, i had to change it three times and now it does work properly again).

I hope you understand that.

You always can try the official container. ;)

Edited by ich777
1 hour ago, Abigel said:

Hi,

is there a letsencrypt sample config for the Terraria-TShock Server?

I can not connect to the server, it shows only "server found" but nothing happend

?

For reverse proxy? You don't need to reverse proxy any of my game servers.

52 minutes ago, Abigel said:

I know that I don't need it but i have a proxy and want to use it instead to start other portforwarding than 443

Other question: How can I use server commands to show for example the connected players?

I don't even think thats possible, the game needs it's own port and you simply can't share it with the https port (think the other way around, you also can't share the http port 80 with the https port 443...).

One thing to think about is also if you encrypt the data through https when you proxy it through lets encrypt it's possible that the game client don't know how to handle https traffic... A game server is simply not a website/server.

To connect to the console please read the discription of the container there is the answer. ;)

I think you also can issue this commands from the ingame console when you are the admin/server OP.

Edited by ich777
  • Thanks 1
On 5/23/2020 at 8:12 PM, ich777 said:

In my containers if the username and password isn't marked as required you don't need it. ;)

Yes, click on it and select console then you have access to the console.

Type in 'bash' then 'su steam' and then you can update the container.

The path to steamcmd is /serverdata/steamcmd; to the serferfolder itself /serverdata/serverfiles this should be all you need, you also can use this command if you are inside the shell of the container: '${STEAMCMD_DIR}/steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir ${SERVER_DIR} +app_update ${GAME_ID} +quit' (without quotes) it will fill in the required paths automatically, simply paste it there. ;)

If you are done with everything type two times 'exit' (first time to logout the steam user and the second time to exit the container shell).

Will test it as soon as the players are off the server. Thx again.

Update: I tried the update within the docker but it does not get to the latest version if you run it. Could be that the files are in use of course and the download during running the server is not the ideal situation. So I copied my items from the saved arks location to my local pc and removed the folders within the Shootergame folder and run the docker again with validate true option.

All the files got downloaded again but was starting with the old version again 310.68 which got me confused again. I don't think this is the docker issue but the issue on steam like you stated so I am contacting the arksurvive team.

Will do an isntall on a windows system just to see if that is working and also will test on a virtual machine with linux on it. Will update the post if I checked it if anybody also has an issue.

Update again: And found a post https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/532482-linux-server-the-new-update-is-not-available/&tab=comments#comment-2886406 this seems to be normal at the moment. :(

Edited by Malbolgia
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, ich777 said:

I don't even think thats possible, the game needs it's own port and you simply can't share it with the https port (think the other way around, you also can't share the http port 80 with the https port 443...).

One thing to think about is also if you encrypt the data through https when you proxy it through lets encrypt it's possible that the game client don't know how to handle https traffic... A game server is simply not a website/server.

To connect to the console please read the discription of the container there is the answer. ;)

I think you also can issue this commands from the ingame console when you are the admin/server OP.

Okay thank you

I found the access to the console :)

• Like 1

I can't get CSS's files to mount into the GMOD server. I've tried various methods to fix a glitch where CSS guns will not produce sounds for players on my server. I have tried to fix this numerous ways, but to no avail. I saw that there should not be any capitol characters in the mount.cfg for linux servers. That still didn't do the trick. Any advice?

2 hours ago, squelch said:

I can't get CSS's files to mount into the GMOD server. I've tried various methods to fix a glitch where CSS guns will not produce sounds for players on my server. I have tried to fix this numerous ways, but to no avail. I saw that there should not be any capitol characters in the mount.cfg for linux servers. That still didn't do the trick. Any advice?

What path did you enter?

the absolute path to the main directory in the container is: /serverdata/serverfiles

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

What path did you enter?

the absolute path to the main directory in the container is: /serverdata/serverfiles

/serverdata/serverfiles/cstrike

I've tried various configurations, nothing has seemed to work.

Edited by squelch
On 4/27/2019 at 2:11 AM, ich777 said:

Yes, i will look into it after the weekend.

@Benjamin Picard it's a little complicated...

For linux you must put in your login credentials and you must disable steam guard since there is no way to put in the steam guard code (its possible but if you want this you must trigger the application download and every update from the server console manually).

The other way is to create a dedicated account with steam guard completely disabled (thats what steam recommends) and purchase the game for this account separatly.

I would like to know that if I would like to host a L4D2 server, then I need a separate account with L4D2 in it? What if I just create another brand new account with no L4D2 purchased? or can I just use my original account without disabling the steam guard? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, PzrrL said:

I would like to know that if I would like to host a L4D2 server, then I need a separate account with L4D2 in it? What if I just create another brand new account with no L4D2 purchased? or can I just use my original account without disabling the steam guard? Thanks!

No, only a valid user account that is veryfied with steam, I also have a user account dedicated to the dedicated server (the only thing that you must do with this account is that you buy at least one game i think even when it's 10 cents...).

The second way works also, but you have to let steamguard disabled and that I don't recommend since the updates will fail!

Edited by ich777
Just now, ich777 said:

No, only a valid user account that is veryfied with steam, I also have a user account dedicated to the dedicated server (the only thing that you must do with this account is that you buy at least one game i think even when it's 10 cents...).

That means as long as I have a newly created account with any game bought (not necessarily to be L4D2), I am good to go?

Just now, PzrrL said:

That means as long as I have a newly created account with any game bought (not necessarily to be L4D2), I am good to go?

Oh sorry looked into the template, no you don't have to use a steamaccount (it's not marked as required - I think for Killing Floor you need to provide a valid steam account).

Actually only a few games need a steam account and a few of them the game bought.