[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I would do it this way:

1. Connect to your server via SSH or open the web terminal window.
  2. Type in 'docker exec -ti Left4Dead2 /bin/bash'
  3. Type in '$USER' <- I think this part you forgot to type in and that's also important so that you are the user 'steam' and not 'root'
  4. And then give the command a try '${STEAMCMD_DIR}/steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir ${SERVER_DIR} +workshop_download_item 550 2032670332 +quit'

I think the right app id for L4D2 is: 550 Click

222860 is the dedicated server itself

Thank you very much for the assistance with this! I am very new to all of this and still am struggling.

I've opened the web terminal window and typed in 'docker exec -ti Left4Dead2 /bin/bash' and pushed enter. After doing that, I know see 'root@62f1d9651aaa:'

Where do I need to type in the '$USER'? If I enter '$USER' here, and push enter, I'm prompted with a command error. If I run '${STEAMCMD_DIR}/steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir ${SERVER_DIR} +workshop_download_item 550 2032670332 +quit' it appears to begin downloading and then prompts me a timeout error eventually. 

6 minutes ago, ss1gohan13 said:

Where do I need to type in the '$USER'?

Oh sorry my fault, don't read two different threads at the same time... :D

The right command would be 'su $USER'

7 minutes ago, ss1gohan13 said:

it appears to begin downloading and then prompts me a timeout error eventually. 

Try it with the right user account, because if you don't type in su $USER it could mess up privileges and such... :P

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Oh sorry my fault, don't read two different threads at the same time... :D

The right command would be 'su $USER'

Try it with the right user account, because if you don't type in su $USER it could mess up privileges and such... :P

I made progress! Still getting a timeout error though:

steam@62f1d9651aaa:/$ ${STEAMCMD_DIR}/steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir ${SERVER_DIR} +workshop_download_item 550 2032670332 +quit
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
/tmp/dumps is not owned by us - delete and recreate
Unable to delete /tmp/dumps. Continuing anyway.
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK
Downloading item 2032670332 ...Warning: failed to init SDL thread priority manager: SDL not found

ERROR! Download item 2032670332 failed (Timeout).

2 minutes ago, ss1gohan13 said:

ERROR! Download item 2032670332 failed (Timeout).

Then there is an error with the connection, there I really can't help, have you somewhere installed PiHole or something else?

This has something to do with Steam or your network itself but there I can't really help...

7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Then there is an error with the connection, there I really can't help, have you somewhere installed PiHole or something else?

This has something to do with Steam or your network itself but there I can't really help...

I did just RECENTLY install PiHole. I can try temp disabling it and trying again

3 minutes ago, ss1gohan13 said:

I did just RECENTLY install PiHole. I can try temp disabling it and trying again

Don't know if that's really the problem but at least try it. ;)

One recommendation would be to also try another mod.

Sorry but there my knowlege ends because this is more a network or Steam problem than a problem with the container itself.

But I think you now got how this works ;)

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Sorry but there my knowlege ends because this is more a network or Steam problem than a problem with the container itself.

I sincerely appreciate the assistance!

Can I also side bar a question related to this? If I had this workshop mod already installed on my L4D2 client, could I copy the core files and customize a config file to permit access as well? I know it's not a container question, but the thought came up :P

Thank you again!

8 minutes ago, ss1gohan13 said:

Can I also side bar a question related to this? If I had this workshop mod already installed on my L4D2 client, could I copy the core files and customize a config file to permit access as well?

Puh... :D

Think so, but don't count on that... :P

On 10/16/2020 at 8:06 PM, Morikami said:

Hey there,

first thank u a lot for sharing ur xml files and also ich777 for all the Docker containers. They helped me extremly. Going crazy for 2 days cause i could not get multiple servers running.

But now to my question. How can i change the dynamicconfig.ini? If i want a higher harvesting rate for example. If i want to save it, i cant overwrite the existing one. 

Second how can i add Mods now? do i need to write into every GameUserSettings "ActiveMods=849372965,895711211,1831041877,1891446920,1999447172" or is there an easier option for that?

I do my dynamicconfig.ini editing from an ssh shell as root ... which I know I probably shouldn’t ;). I looked and the permissions on the file are 0770. So you have two choices there, ether use a shell on the host or “chmod o+rw” on the file then you could edit it from the app data share. I will update the docker container to add the permissions on the default file so that it can be edited in the app data share tomorrow.

The way I set it up you will have to make changes to each config. But any mods will only have to be downloaded once. I wanted to be able to have different settings by server. There isn’t any reason you couldn’t put soft links in the 2-10 config directories pointed at the 1 folder... but ark does write to its config file too so you would then end up with a bunch of redundant lines and other garbage all in the one config file.

i am working on automating the update of mods, right now it is a manual process of downloading them and then placing them in the content/mods folder.

1 hour ago, Cyd said:

i am working on automating the update of mods, right now it is a manual process of downloading them and then placing them in the content/mods folder.

Can you do me. a favour and tell me if it would be enough if I make a variable where you could put in the workshop contemt numbers and the container downloads it at the start like the Conan Exiles container does?

On 10/17/2020 at 11:32 AM, ich777 said:

Hey ich777!

I was doing some more research into my SDL issue I was having and some other people were suggesting that SDL needed to be installed. Could this be true? How would I go about updating/installing SDL?

8 hours ago, ss1gohan13 said:

How would I go about updating/installing SDL?

I don't think that would solve the issue, who said that?

This is just a warning that you are seeing in the logs and not relevant for SteamCMD.

But you can try it by opening a console for the container (be sure to be root) and type in:

1. apt-get update
  2. apt-get -y install libsdl2-2.0-0
On 10/18/2020 at 12:18 AM, ich777 said:

Can you do me. a favour and tell me if it would be enough if I make a variable where you could put in the workshop contemt numbers and the container downloads it at the start like the Conan Exiles container does?

I looked at the code block in the conan, I think it would, salted to taste anyway. ark handles mod IDs differently than conan but i think we can get it figured out ;) 

19 minutes ago, Cyd said:

I looked at the code block in the conan, I think it would, salted to taste anyway. ark handles mod IDs differently than conan but i think we can get it figured out ;) 

A little bit more explanation would be helpfull how does ARK handle the workshop ID's differnetly since it's downloaded through SteamCMD?

Hopefully this isn't more confusing.  For Conan Exiles mods, its supposed to be able to just use the mods file name in a text file, each mod on its own line.  I've had issues with this part in the past, idk if they fixed it.  There are 2 other alternatives to this, 1. mapping the exact location in the folder, (ie on windows c:\servers\conan exiles\mods\mod.pak) Example is not accurate path.  2. mapping the full steam workshop link (ie. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=880454836)  IIRC this is being run with WINE, however I've never dealt with WINE, I am assuming that it uses the same setup as windows for pathing?  IMO if the text file works, that would probably be the best option.  With all this being said, I haven't run a CE server in around a year-ish.

• Thanks 1

having an issue spinning up a terraria+tshock server

im getting this error out of the gate.

"Cannot open assembly 'TerrariaServer.exe': No such file or directory." i verified that inside the docker is the following folder "deploy" and that folder has the TerrariaServer.exe file present. 

Are there some setup instructions i missed?

27 minutes ago, campbebj said:

having an issue spinning up a terraria+tshock server

im getting this error out of the gate.

"Cannot open assembly 'TerrariaServer.exe': No such file or directory." i verified that inside the docker is the following folder "deploy" and that folder has the TerrariaServer.exe file present. 

Are there some setup instructions i missed?

Nice, the developers changed again something, I think they are working against me... :D

Have released a fix for this please update the container (force update) and it should start.

Have you tried only the Tshock container or others too?

EDIT: The others work fine... ;)

21 minutes ago, campbebj said:

It looks like im having issues with tmodLoader as well

Regular terraria does work fine.

What is the issue? It loads just fine on my machine.

Can you provide a log? I can't help without a log.

Here are the last few lines from my log:

Terraria-tModloader.log

Please don't ignore the wrong version number at the bottom this is a known issue...

I thought i had updated the thread to add the error. its no longer happening. like as though i let it retry enough times it started to work?

the errors were problems unzipping things... unsure why those happened and then went away. same sort of thing was happening with the tShock. but the errors transformed from unzip issues to the assemply not found issue mentioned above.

4 hours ago, campbebj said:

I thought i had updated the thread to add the error. its no longer happening. like as though i let it retry enough times it started to work?

the errors were problems unzipping things... unsure why those happened and then went away. same sort of thing was happening with the tShock. but the errors transformed from unzip issues to the assemply not found issue mentioned above.

So everything is working now?

no. sorry to be confusing.

terraria:

-worked right away

tModLoader:

-gave a bunch of zip errors for 5ish minutes and then started working

tshock:

-gave a bunch of zip errors AND a terrariaServer.exe error for 5ish minutes and then ONLY the zip errors disseapeared leaving the terrariaServer.exe error.

EDIT:

and now this morning its all working fine. what the hell......

Edited by campbebj
9 minutes ago, campbebj said:

tModLoader:

-gave a bunch of zip errors for 5ish minutes and then started working

Can you try this again and if it occours again send me the log from the container?

10 minutes ago, campbebj said:

tshock:

-gave a bunch of zip errors AND a terrariaServer.exe error for 5ish minutes and then ONLY the zip errors disseapeared leaving the terrariaServer.exe error.

So it doesn't work?

Can you send me the log?

Why I'm asking for the log is because I don't get that error and all three startet up just fine.

@ich777 After much heartache I have gotten the ARK servers automod system to work... It makes a call out to SteamCMD (in a different hard coded directory, of course...) to fetch mods from the work shop, then does some post processing to create a metadata .mod file.  

A soft link can be made from /serverdata/serverfiles/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/SteamCMD/Linux/steamapps -> /serverdata/Steam/steamapps probably at the end of the "---Prepare Server---" code block. 

---sudo code---

if [ ! -f ${SERVER_DIR}/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/SteamCMD/Linux/ ]; then
        echo "---SteamCMD automanagedmods link not found, creating---"

/serverdata/serverfiles/SteamCMDInstall.sh
        ln -s /serverdata/serverfiles/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/SteamCMD/Linux/steamapps -> /serverdata/Steam/steamapps
fi

Then GameModIds could then be passed into the container as a variable and need to be used in two places. First they need to be enumerated one per line in 

/serverdata/serverfiles/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/Game.ini in a block for the fetch/installer function to find, 

I am not thrilled that they chose to put them here rather than in there own file as there are other settings that get placed in this file. But It is not written to by ShooterGameServer as far as I know... 

[ModInstaller]
ModIDS=2229978458
ModIDS=1083349027
ModIDS=1211297684

And second they need to be presented to the ShooterGameServer itself ether on the command line as a part of the GAME_PARAMS string

(ie ...?GameModIds=2229978458,1083349027,1211297684?...)

or in the /serverdata/serverfiles/ShooterGame/Saved/Config/LinuxServer/GameUserSettings.ini in the [ServerSettings] block as 

[ServerSettings]
ActiveMods=2229978458,1083349027,1211297684

I think I would prefer adding them to the command line arguments rather than in the file, as ShooterGameServer writes to this file and there is no guarantee that they will remain in the same place in the file to check for there presence. 

I have also figured out a better solution to the CustomDynamicConfig url problem. Could you add a DynamicConfig URL ($CDCURL) var to the XML that if populated would append -UseDynamicConfig to the end of GAME_PARAMS_EXTRA and ?CustomDynamicConfigUrl="$CDCURL" (needs to be passed in with the double quotes) to the end of GAME_PARAMS

Both of those arguments need to be the last in the respective strings.

If you are feeling really generous the server clustering things could be passed in as variables and paths too.

-clusterid=MyClusterName and -ClusterDirOverride=/serverdata/serverfiles/clusterfiles can be passed in with GAME_PARAMS_EXTRA string

and then the containers just need a common shared path var so they can pass player files back and forth my XML looks like this:

<Config Name="ClusterFiles" Target="/serverdata/serverfiles/clusterfiles" Default="" Mode="rw" Description="Container Path: /serverdata/serverfiles/clusterfiles" Type="Path" Display="always" Required="false" Mask="false">/mnt/cache/appdata/arkclusterfiles</Config>

I think the GAME_ID variable could be removed from the XML and hard coded as the container is already customized enough that it is unlikely to be useable for any other game at this point and it would be one less thing for people to mess up.

• Like 1