[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

Hi there :)

I am trying to setup a Garry's Mod Server, but unfortunately it keeps crashing with a segmentation fault even on default settings.

Here is a snippet of the logs

---Start Server---
    Auto detecting CPU
    Using default binary: ./srcds_linux
    Server will auto-restart if there is a crash.
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4000
    [S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded 'steamclient.so' OK.
    CApplicationManagerPopulateThread took 0 milliseconds to initialize (will have waited on CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread)
    CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 3 milliseconds to initialize
    [S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamUser020 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
    tcmalloc: large alloc 4288397312 bytes == (nil) @
    Could not find steamerrorreporter binary. Any minidumps will be uploaded in-processCWorkThreadPool::~CWorkThreadPool: work complete queue not empty, 2 items discarded.
    Segmentation fault

Any idea on what is causing this or how to analyse this further?

Best Regards

On 12/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, nikaiwolf said:

i was able to get my ark servers up and running for a cluster using @Cyd xml files from October 9th post. Our original Island map saves work but when loading into any of the other maps cross ark player data and inventory didnt work. this is my first cluster setup and i used saves from before setting up the cluster. the only settings i changed from the xml files are server name and passwords.

so i would like some help with player cross ark inventory etc. 

also still figuring out the dynamic config. what settings go there?

the dynamic config is for a small number of options that can be changed without restarting the server.

?customdynamicconfigurl="<link>"a direct link to config file e.g.: http://arkdedicated.com/dynamicconfig.ini ;
currently only the following options are supported to be adjusted dynamically: TamingSpeedMultiplier, HarvestAmountMultiplier, XPMultiplier, MatingIntervalMultiplier, BabyMatureSpeedMultiplier, EggHatchSpeedMultiplier, BabyFoodConsumptionSpeedMultiplier, CropGrowthSpeedMultiplier, MatingSpeedMultiplier, BabyCuddleIntervalMultiplier, BabyImprintAmountMultiplier, CustomRecipeEffectivenessMultiplier, TributeItemExpirationSeconds, TributeDinoExpirationSeconds, EnableFullDump, GUseServerNetSpeedCheck, bUseAlarmNotifications, HexagonRewardMultiplier and NPCReplacements.
Introduced in patch 307.2

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Obscuritas said:

Hey there, maybe one of you guys can help me. When ever I try to start my server with the param "-automanagedmods" it will crash with an "LowLevelFatalError [File:F:\build\Live320\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Linux\LinuxPlatformProcess.cpp] [Line: 652]", but without it the server starts just fine without any mods. Is there a fix or solution for this problem?

Bild_2020-12-26_015841.png.4bd024d51b342de922848bbce67ccd42.png

when you Pm'd me i assumed that you read through my earlier posts about ARK... the automodmanager that wild card crammed in has all of its paths hardcoded into the game engine. Your choices are to install "YACOsteamCMD" (Yet Another Copy Of SteamCMD) or create some additional volume mappings for your container so that the game engine can find the SteamCMD folder and to the location of the workshop files, or to copy the workshop files from your client PC game folder to the server game folder.

Adding these volume mapping should fix up the automodmanager:

/serverdata/serverfiles/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/SteamCMD/Linux <> /mnt/user/appdata/steamcmd
/serverdata/Steam/steamapps <> /mnt/cache/appdata/steamcmd/steamapps
/serverdata/serverfiles/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/SteamCMD/Linux/steamapps <> /mnt/cache/appdata/steamcmd/steamapps

• Like 1
On 12/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, nikaiwolf said:

i was able to get my ark servers up and running for a cluster using @Cyd xml files from October 9th post. Our original Island map saves work but when loading into any of the other maps cross ark player data and inventory didnt work. this is my first cluster setup and i used saves from before setting up the cluster. the only settings i changed from the xml files are server name and passwords.

so i would like some help with player cross ark inventory etc. 

also still figuring out the dynamic config. what settings go there?

@nikaiwolf You will need to add a volume mapping to all of the servers that you want clustered that they can all read/write data to.

add this mapping to all of your containers:

/serverdata/serverfiles/clusterfiles <> /mnt/cache/appdata/ark-se/clusterfiles

When you look in /mnt/cache/appdata/ark-se/clusterfiles you should see a folder with the name of your cluster.

• Like 1
On 12/24/2020 at 10:56 PM, KillahPwnz said:

Is this something you can change on your end? I can't find this start script in appdata.

Redis starts now with the recommended parameter, hope that fixes the error, please update the container (force-update on the Docker page with advanced view turned on) and report back.

On 12/25/2020 at 5:21 PM, stevep94 said:

Does anyone know if there has been any progress with Empyrion getting a dedicated Linux server?

No, actually the developers doesn't released a Linux version of the dedicated server yet.

I know that it is possible to run it through WINE but that's not my preferred way of doing it since it can add much overhead and also lead to other problems...

I recommend to post on the official Empyrion forums if there is any progress...

21 hours ago, dacomand said:

I am trying to setup a Garry's Mod Server, but unfortunately it keeps crashing with a segmentation fault even on default settings.

Have you installed a Cache drive in your server? If not can you send me a screenshot of you docker template page?

Keep in mind that if you have no cache drive installed that you have to specify the exact path of the gamefiles for example '/mnt/disk2/appdata/garrysmod' and not with the 'user' prefix since this game needs to know the physical location where the files are (also please keep in mind that it has to be on one disk and should not be spreaded over multiple array disks).

• Thanks 2
54 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Have you installed a Cache drive in your server? If not can you send me a screenshot of you docker template page?

Keep in mind that if you have no cache drive installed that you have to specify the exact path of the gamefiles for example '/mnt/disk2/appdata/garrysmod' and not with the 'user' prefix since this game needs to know the physical location where the files are (also please keep in mind that it has to be on one disk and should not be spreaded over multiple array disks).

No, I do not have a Cache drive installed, just 3 Array- and 1 Parity-Disk.

In the meantime I tampered with the template a little - yet had no luck so far.

I created 2 shares, dedicated to disk 2 (see below) and mounted these into the container

Both shares (Steamcmd and GModTest) are setup identically

shares.thumb.PNG.2fb77391426d9df500cc6231bb646c70.PNG

This is the current (still not working) template configuration.

template.thumb.PNG.1a31cf12d13a94882a28e87c0d289480.PNG

6 minutes ago, dacomand said:

No, I do not have a Cache drive installed, just 3 Array- and 1 Parity-Disk.

In the meantime I tampered with the template a little - yet had no luck so far.

I created 2 shares, dedicated to disk 2 (see below) and mounted these into the container

Both shares (Steamcmd and GModTest) are setup identically

This is the current (still not working) template configuration.

I now also downloaded and installed the container and it starts just fine and I can query it from the Steam Server Browser, attached the log here: garry.log

Can you try the following:

1. Delete the container entirely
  2. Open up a command prompt from Unraid itself and type in: 'rm -rf /mnt/user/GModTest/' (without quotes)
  3. Also 'rm -rf /mnt/user/Steamcmd/' (without quotes) - I recommend leaving SteamCMD in the appdata directory...
  4. Download it again from the CA App

What filesystem is your Array formated with? Can you eventually try to setup a Unassigned Devices disk (if you got a Disk somewhere lying around) - the path would then be something like '/mnt/disks/DISKNAME/garrysmod'

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ich777 said:

I now also downloaded and installed the container and it starts just fine and I can query it from the Steam Server Browser, attached the log here: garry.log

Can you try the following:

1. Delete the container entirely
  2. Open up a command prompt from Unraid itself and type in: 'rm -rf /mnt/user/GModTest/' (without quotes)
  3. Also 'rm -rf /mnt/user/Steamcmd/' (without quotes) - I recommend leaving SteamCMD in the appdata directory...
  4. Download it again from the CA App

What filesystem is your Array formated with? Can you eventually try to setup a Unassigned Devices disk (if you got a Disk somewhere lying around) - the path would then be something like '/mnt/disks/DISKNAME/garrysmod'

First of all, thanks for your help -- much appreciated:)

I did a clean install, yet nothing changed - still the seg fault crash.log

The only change I did to the template from CA was to the ServerFiles to '/mnt/disk2/garrysmodTest' (leaving ServerFiles with default settings segFaults too)

grafik.thumb.png.37cebb0b2f45f14566c0715107bf417c.png

All disks are formatted to xfs

I don't have a spare disk atm. I can try to hook up an USB stick in the next days, if needed

EDIT: @ich777 mounting an USB stick as an unassigned Device for the ServerFiles did infact work. But im still puzzled on why it is not working using an Arraydisk -- any thoughts on this? I think using an USB stick is an sub-optimal solution. Do you have any ideas on how to utilize the array?

Edited by dacomand
4 hours ago, ich777 said:

No, actually the developers doesn't released a Linux version of the dedicated server yet.

I know that it is possible to run it through WINE but that's not my preferred way of doing it since it can add much overhead and also lead to other problems...

I recommend to post on the official Empyrion forums if there is any progress...

Will do - thanks for the reply!

I'm probably way off base here knowing literally nothing about these things but would it be possible to host a co-op server using a virtual machine?

It's just I've successfully hosted a dedicated server for me and a few mates on my own PC - obviously this isn't ideal because it requires my PC to be on and logged into Steam but I wondered how VM's work in terms of having one running W10 with another instance of Steam running with the server on? (apologies ahead of time if this is a stupid thought!)

2 hours ago, stevep94 said:

would it be possible to host a co-op server using a virtual machine?

Yes this is totally possible.

Sadly enough some game developers doesn't create dedicated servers for their games...

EDIT: There are many guids how to create a dedicated server for Empyriom out there just search for something like: 'empyrion dedicated windows server'

16 hours ago, ich777 said:

Yes this is totally possible.

Sadly enough some game developers doesn't create dedicated servers for their games...

EDIT: There are many guids how to create a dedicated server for Empyriom out there just search for something like: 'empyrion dedicated windows server'

Thanks again - I think I'm going to do some research into VM's to see what can be done.

While I was looking at the various VM's available on Unraid I noticed one called "SteamOS" - do you have any experience of this and could it in theory be used to host an Empyrion (or any other Steam based for that matter) dedicated server?

Edited by stevep94
18 minutes ago, stevep94 said:

I think I'm going to do some research into VM's to see what can be done.

Just set up a Windows 10 VM and create the server inside the VM.

19 minutes ago, stevep94 said:

"SteamOS"

SteamOS is a desktop replacement and meant only for playing games on your computer and is based on Linux, think of it like a Windows 10 but only for games.

20 minutes ago, stevep94 said:

host an Empyrion (or any other Steam based for that matter) dedicated server?

If you need to host dedicated servers for games that are only available on Windows I wold recommend, like said above, setting up a Windows 10 VM and install the dedicated server there, if there are Linux versions of the dedicated server available for Linux I would recommend to host it through the containers that are available in the CA App.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Just set up a Windows 10 VM and create the server inside the VM.

Thanks (again!)

Knowing nothing about VM's am I right in assuming that I need a fully-fledged serial key even for a virtual version of W10? (every time I see a cheapo W10 licence on Hot UK Deals the thread gets flooded with "don't bother, you can use W10 without a key" comments!)

Also, do I need a dedicated graphics card to run a W10 VM? (my Microserver doesnt have one)

Edited by stevep94
1 hour ago, stevep94 said:

Knowing nothing about VM's am I right in assuming that I need a fully-fledged serial key even for a virtual version of W10? (every time I see a cheapo W10 licence on Hot UK Deals the thread gets flooded with "don't bother, you can use W10 without a key" comments!)

I would strongly recommend to license the VM, but keep in mind that you are not allowed to run every edition of Windows10 in a VM (but that's completely up to you).

1 hour ago, stevep94 said:

Also, do I need a dedicated graphics card to run a W10 VM?

No, please look in the VM subforums or on Youtube, I recommend searching a tutorial from @SpaceInvaderOne on Youtube how to setup a VM (without discrete graphics, he also has a video on how to setup a VM with a discrete graphics card).

• Like 1
On 12/27/2020 at 5:43 AM, ich777 said:

Redis starts now with the recommended parameter, hope that fixes the error, please update the container (force-update on the Docker page with advanced view turned on) and report back.

Hey, I'm still getting the same errors after the container's been down for ~20 mins for backup.  

Catalysm noticed this in the start script:

"the appendonly file is stored in /var/lib/redis and not in ${DATA_DIR}. Could be the reason why the data isnt persisted still"

1 hour ago, KillahPwnz said:

Hey, I'm still getting the same errors after the container's been down for ~20 mins for backup. 

One side question, why are you stopping the container for the backup, this isn't necessary and can be changed in the CA Backup at the bottom when you turn on Advanced view.

1 hour ago, KillahPwnz said:

Catalysm

Can you please link me to the content?

This should not be a problem since my container is not updated like theirs...

I'm now thinking about depricating the container since it gives me too much trouble.

I've wrote @Spectral Force a PM about that and will wait until he responds.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

One side question, why are you stopping the container for the backup, this isn't necessary and can be changed in the CA Backup at the bottom when you turn on Advanced view.

Can you please link me to the content?

This should not be a problem since my container is not updated like theirs...

I'm now thinking about depricating the container since it gives me too much trouble.

I've wrote @Spectral Force a PM about that and will wait until he responds.

Sorry for the trouble. I will disable the restart of the container at backups which should fix it. 

2 minutes ago, GyroDragona said:

Have you considered making this docker since I responded to this question?

It’s a distance based voice chat for Among Us. All the info for it is in the link I first provided about it.

Sorry completely forget about that, got not much spare time ATM.

I will look into at as soon as possible. :)

Really old school here. I have played Halo PC since the 1st day it came out. Have had multiple dedicated servers using windows installed in it's own dell r210vii server . Now I am playing around with UnRaid. How would I get a dedicated server running in UnRaid? Total UnRaid newb here but willing to learn.

6 minutes ago, GOODWINML said:

Really old school here. I have played Halo PC since the 1st day it came out. Have had multiple dedicated servers using windows installed in it's own dell r210vii server . Now I am playing around with UnRaid. How would I get a dedicated server running in UnRaid? Total UnRaid newb here but willing to learn.

Are we talking about a Halo dedicated server or dedicated servers in general for games?

If you are talking about Halo I don't have a server for this game but I could look into it but I'm not 100% sure if there is a Linux Dedicated Server out for this game.

If you are talking about dedicated servers in general go to the CA App and search for my Repository or click on 'Game Servers' on the left side.

If you got a request for a dedicated server feel free to ask here and I will look into it.

I have 3 spare dell r210 servers, 2 HP gl360 and 1 dell 2650 I believe.  1 R210 is running Halo PC Dedicated server. I have about 5 different games servers inside that dedicated. I have win 10 running. Would like to run a Dedicated server inside of UnRaid if possible and get rid of windows. I believe there is a linux version of a halo PC dedicated. I would like to figure of what to do with them. webserver, torrent server, ???