[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

1 hour ago, nmills3 said:

Hi, i'm trying to get the ark survival evolved server to work but all i can get is "unable to query server info for invite", the server shows up in steam but whenever i connect i just get the previous message. i'm using all default settings except the steam port is 27016 instead of 27015 and the RCON port is 27021. i did also try with the steam port as 27015 as a testing step but that didn't seem to fix it

If you need to change any of the port mappings they need to be deleted and recreated not just changed. I would recommend deleting that container and starting with a fresh new install. I would advise that you also forward the UDP ports in from your router as well (7777&7778 by default).

• Thanks 1

Maybe I am stupid but I can't seem to access the Valheim docker over the internet. Ports 2456, 2457, 2458 UDP have been forwarded in my router. I think I know how to port forward because my other dockers have no issues (deluge, plex, etc) and https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ confirms this. The Valheim server is only accessible over LAN.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Cyd said:

If you need to change any of the port mappings they need to be deleted and recreated not just changed. I would recommend deleting that container and starting with a fresh new install. I would advise that you also forward the UDP ports in from your router as well (7777&7778 by default).

i've already tried that too. the container get's deleted every time i make a change by unraid anyway and port forwarding shouldn't matter because currently i'm just trying to get it to work on my local network

44 minutes ago, nmills3 said:

i've already tried that too. the container get's deleted every time i make a change by unraid anyway and port forwarding shouldn't matter because currently i'm just trying to get it to work on my local network

You need to make sure that you tell Ark what ports you are using eg. `?Port=7785?QueryPort=27064` and it's not just that you need to remove and re-add them, the port inside the container needs to be the same port exposed externally.  This is because ARK reports it's ports back to steam and you can't change the container port without adding a new port mapping.  So from a fresh setup, you should remove the query port and add a 27016<>27016 mapping.

Screenshot 2021-02-11 184807.png

In addition, there is no command line argument for the second UDP port (following 7777), it's always the first UDP port +1.  So when you tell Ark ?Port=7785 you are also saying UDP2 port is 7786.  Then ?QueryPort=27064 is obvious what it does.  If you want RCON (do you need this?), then there is more you have to do such as adding ?RCONPort=27075?RCONEnabled=True?ServerAdminPassword=<yourpass> to the commandline.

Edited by growlith

@Cyd Thanks for the help with -automanagedmods the other day.

For anyone running a modded Ark server/cluster, I have created a companion container to run alongside and automate the whole checking if mods update and triggering resets.

It scans a given mounted /mods folder and queries Steam API to see if a mod has updated.  If one has, it broadcasts warnings in the servers and then restarts them.  If you have a cluster, it will restart the primary (server setup with -automanagedmods) server and stop all of the others.  Once that server has updated your mods and is running, it will start back up the other ones that were running (leaving stopped ones untouched).

Feel free to use it. integrate the concept, or modify it however you want.
https://github.com/jalbertcory/ArkDockerModUpdater

• Thanks 1

@growlith That is a good idea. I also created a companion that container that runs a lite http server to host the dynamic config files. It also monitors the ./Config directories and resets the permissions on the config files so they remain editable from the shares. And extracts backups of the ./Saved directories (on a 10 day rotation). 

I think maybe we should combine the functions and publish it.

1 hour ago, Cyd said:

I think maybe we should combine the functions and publish it.

Sounds good to me!  Feel free to use anything that I have written, although it's not great python code.  I think the useful parts are figuring out what Steam API endpoint to use to check against as well as how to manage other containers from a container.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bobfromacc0unting said:

Hi. It appears my valheim dedicated server updated overnight and the world has reset. Is this common? How do i fix this/stop it from happening again?

check your valheim appdata folder:

appdata/valheim/.config/unity3d/IronGate/Valheim/worlds

The database file is worldname.db

There should be a backup called worldname.db.old - you can copy this to worldname.db (with the docker stopped), but you will lose any progress since this backup (check the date stamp on the .old file)

If you don't have appdata filesystem snapshots, I recommend taking regular backups - this example script was shared a page or two back:

Edited by ConnectivIT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, nesede said:

Maybe I am stupid but I can't seem to access the Valheim docker over the internet. Ports 2456, 2457, 2458 UDP have been forwarded in my router. I think I know how to port forward because my other dockers have no issues (deluge, plex, etc) and https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ confirms this. The Valheim server is only accessible over LAN.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I am also having the same problem trying to port forward through my Unifi Dream Machine Pro.  Plex forwards fine, but testing the Valheim UDP ports fails on that site fails as well.

4 minutes ago, cardo said:

I am also having the same problem trying to port forward through my Unifi Dream Machine Pro.  Plex forwards fine, but testing the Valheim UDP ports fails on that site fails as well.

I read some stuff about my ISP's modem (Bell homehub 3000 in Canada) being trash/unreliable at port forwarding so I put the SFP module into an EdgeRouter X SFP but the issue remains unfortunately.

7 hours ago, nesede said:

The Valheim server is only accessible over LAN.

Are you sure that your ISP isn't blocking ports in the first place? Had that here on my thread a few times that some ISP block ports in the first place and forwarding of the ports on your router/modem will work but will fail because the ISP blocks them.

1 hour ago, cardo said:

Valheim UDP ports fails on that site fails as well.

Please keep in mind and as I said a post below, this site can only see/detect services/ports where it receives an answer.

In the case of Valheim it can't receive an answer because they have specific code/protocols that answers only game clients.

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

Are you sure that your ISP isn't blocking ports in the first place? Had that here on my thread a few times that some ISP block ports in the first place and forwarding of the ports on your router/modem will work but will fail because the ISP blocks them.

Please keep in mind and as I said a post below, this site can only see/detect services/ports where it receives an answer.

In the case of Valheim it can't receive an answer because they have specific code/protocols that answers only game clients.

That makes sense now.  I was able to use Steam to directly connect to my server's public IP even when connected from my gaming VM via VPN.  My server is just not showing up in the community browser in Valheim which I suppose at this point could just be early access growing pains.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1
Just now, cardo said:

My server is just not showing up in the community browser in Valheim which I suppose at this point could just be early access growing pains.

Yes, this can take up to 30 minutes I think from reports that I've read here.

If you can reach it from the Steam Server browser it should be all good and show up in the in game server list if you select 'Community'.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I wish there was a way to check whether my ISP blocks this port or not. I only used the site to confirm that my open ports are actually open.

When using my external IP in steam's server browser it still doesn't see the server. I've even tried changing the default port to something in the 60000s (which is where some of my other functional ports are) and still no luck. I made sure to delete "UDP - Game Port Range" and re-create it as per the instructions. So not really sure what to do at this point.

2 minutes ago, nesede said:

When using my external IP in steam's server browser it still doesn't see the server.

Do you try this from your local network or from an external source, please keep in mind if you try it from your local network and your router modem isn't capable or not properly configured for NAT reflection it can't work...

4 minutes ago, nesede said:

I wish there was a way to check whether my ISP blocks this port or not.

What you can do is that you get in touch with your ISP if they block ports and if they are willing to turn it off.

4 minutes ago, nesede said:

I only used the site to confirm that my open ports are actually open.

As said above Valheim uses a proprietary code/protocol so that it only answers game clients and the site can only detect ports where it gets a proper response with a protocol that it can understand.

• Like 1

Do you try this from your local network or from an external source, please keep in mind if you try it from your local network and your router modem isn't capable or not properly configured for NAT reflection it can't work...

From my local network but NAT reflection is turned on.

What you can do is that you get in touch with your ISP if they block ports and if they are willing to turn it off.

Haha I wish, Bell Canada is complete garbage and utterly useless.

As said above Valheim uses a proprietary code/protocol so that it only answers game clients and the site can only detect ports where it gets a proper response with a protocol that it can understand.

No I hear you, and I appreciate your help. Might be SOL for now unfortunately.

10 hours ago, growlith said:

You need to make sure that you tell Ark what ports you are using eg. `?Port=7785?QueryPort=27064` and it's not just that you need to remove and re-add them, the port inside the container needs to be the same port exposed externally.  This is because ARK reports it's ports back to steam and you can't change the container port without adding a new port mapping.  So from a fresh setup, you should remove the query port and add a 27016<>27016 mapping.

Screenshot 2021-02-11 184807.png

In addition, there is no command line argument for the second UDP port (following 7777), it's always the first UDP port +1.  So when you tell Ark ?Port=7785 you are also saying UDP2 port is 7786.  Then ?QueryPort=27064 is obvious what it does.  If you want RCON (do you need this?), then there is more you have to do such as adding ?RCONPort=27075?RCONEnabled=True?ServerAdminPassword=<yourpass> to the commandline.

image.thumb.png.ff771b987bc845ad1a70b0e2910d2488.png

this what i've just set the settings as but now steam can't even query the server info to find it. my unraid server is running on 192.168.1.208 and i'm querying 192.168.1.208:27016 on my pc but i'm not getting anything in the steam server browser

Edit: So apparantly if I just query the IP 192.168.1.208 in the steam server browser then the server shows up but i still get the same error when joining the server about being unable to query for an invite

Edited by nmills3

Ok, so i can join my ark server through the in game server browser menu and it works fine but when using the steam server browser to connect i get the error. is there a known fix for this or am i just stuck with it this way?

Edit: Fixed it. "netsh winsock reset" made it start working via the steam menu

Edited by nmills3
17 hours ago, bobfromacc0unting said:

Hi. It appears my valheim dedicated server updated overnight and the world has reset. Is this common? How do i fix this/stop it from happening again?

Same here.  Here are my findings for what happened in my situation:

- Get online this morning (after shutdown, backup, update, restart) and I can't connect to the server

- Server says online in Steam but Valheim pretty quickly gives a "disconnect" message with no prompt for password

- Look for .old file on disk and it seems similarly sized and does the same thing (~16MB)

- Download AppData backup from last night and apply database file (~16MB) and the server does the same thing

- Apply AppData backup .db.old file (~48MB) and the server works!

The only thing I can think is that the main world file got corrupted somehow and made the server refuse to start/let people join.

Is there any way to get Valheim server logs in this container? I'd like to look around to see if I can see anything getting wonky.

To clarify my findings, these are the sizes of my worlds in my AppData backups that lead me to believe my main save got currupted (perhaps as part of server shutdown):

world.db - 17.4MB

world.db.old - 46.6MB

Edited by darknavi

Hello,

I am trying to work through an issue on a new server, is there anyone that can help?

This is the container: https://hub.docker.com/r/ich777/steamcmd/

(docker pull ich777/steamcmd:chivalrymw)

Error I am receiving: /opt/scripts/start-server.sh: line 67: 60 Aborted ${SERVER_DIR}/Binaries/Linux/UDKGameServer-Linux ${MAP}?adminpassword=${ADMIN_PWD}?steamsockets${GAME_PARAMS} ${GAME_PARAMS_EXTRA}

I have confirmed the game files are being downloaded and I have not changed any parameters in the files. The server is crashing and restarting after hitting that error.

C3EB44D8662ACC55CFBD62CBC077664C8C575760

02388D90531796DC0A0C57C970A83B2CBA46EED1

A231751BA637D20A255DFB894598F92163B0EBA7

02388D90531796DC0A0C57C970A83B2CBA46EED1

I think this is the exact loop I am seeing in the log:

---Starting...---
---Update SteamCMD---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK
---Update Server---
---Validating installation---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK
Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 0.00 (44619 / 1274927728)
Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 13.18 (167973439 / 1274927728)
Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 27.94 (356228110 / 1274927728)
Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 45.67 (582293169 / 1274927728)
Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 66.82 (851926002 / 1274927728)
Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 86.45 (1102135243 / 1274927728)
Success! App '220070' fully installed.
---Prepare Server---
---Server ready---
---Start Server---
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.

CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 2 milliseconds to initialize
CApplicationManagerPopulateThread took 1 milliseconds to initialize (will have waited on CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread)
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 62): SteamGameServer012 / GameServer
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 62): SteamUtils007 / Utils
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 62): STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION006 / Apps
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 62): STEAMHTTP_INTERFACE_VERSION002 / HTTP
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 62): SteamNetworking005 / Networking
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 62): SteamGameServerStats001 / GameServerStats
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 219640
/opt/scripts/start-server.sh: line 67: 62 Aborted ${SERVER_DIR}/Binaries/Linux/UDKGameServer-Linux ${MAP}?adminpassword=${ADMIN_PWD}?steamsockets${GAME_PARAMS} ${GAME_PARAMS_EXTRA}
---Checking if UID: 99 matches user---
usermod: no changes
---Checking if GID: 100 matches user---
usermod: no changes
---Setting umask to 000---
---Checking for optional scripts---
---No optional script found, continuing---
---Starting...---

Thanks!

Edited by Nesquik
2 hours ago, darknavi said:

Is there any way to get Valheim server logs in this container?

The logs are displayed in the log from the container itself.

Please try to force a update of the container itself.

2 hours ago, Nesquik said:

Error I am receiving: /opt/scripts/start-server.sh: line 67: 60 Aborted

Please try to physically point to the path on the disk not the user path: /mnt/cache/docker/chyvalrymw

(if your share 'docker' is located on the cache drive, please also make sure to set it to 'prefer' or 'only' at the use cache setting in the share section)

17 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please try to physically point to the path on the disk not the user path: /mnt/cache/docker/chyvalrymw

(if your share 'docker' is located on the cache drive, please also make sure to set it to 'prefer' or 'only' at the use cache setting in the share section)

Hey ich777 -- Interesting. We changed that path to the disk and it seems to be working now :). Wonder why we get the error even though the two paths are essentially equivalent. Thank you for this.

Edited by lysdexik
  • Like 1