[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

So I've been hosting a Valheim server for some friends on my Windows computer for a few days and it's been going well.

I saw that there is now a docker container though and would like to switch to this. I just setup the container and I can join the game with my "localip:2457" but I cannot join with my external IP:2457". When trying to add "externalip:2457" to my Steam's favorite servers, it just says <not responding>. 

I have verified that the correct ports are forwarded on my Unifi router as well.

Anyone else running into this issue?

Just now, jeremytodd1 said:

I have verified that the correct ports are forwarded on my Unifi router as well.

Are you sure that you have forwarded the right ports and with the right protocol (UDP)?

Please also try to connect with a computer that is outside of your local LAN since if NAT reflection is configured wrong you can't join from your local network with your external IP.

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Are you sure that you have forwarded the right ports and with the right protocol (UDP)?

Please also try to connect with a computer that is outside of your local LAN since if NAT reflection is configured wrong you can't join from your local network with your external IP.

Here is an image of what my Unifi's Port Forwarding page looks like:

servervalheim.png

I'm also testing with my external IP by having a friend try to join. He is also seeing the not responding thing.

Edited by jeremytodd1
On 2/8/2021 at 4:37 PM, ich777 said:

I try this now on my own, can you please try to use a share that has no space in it, yours is named 'Game Server' can you try to make a folder named 'GameServers' and also make sure that the folder 'GameServers' is set to includ only disk2 in your 'Shares'?

EDIT: Server runs just fine and I see it in the Steam Server browser, attached a screenshot from the log and the Steam Server browser (please try to remove the '+map MAPNAME' from your GAME_PARAMS just for testing purposes):

grafik.thumb.png.b9b6fea1c32539d373303c7289bbe605.png

grafik.thumb.png.555246e6858a7426b526edf22d2d59e3.png

Its still doing it sorry for the late response😬

Screenshot 2021-02-13 202354.png

16 minutes ago, jeremytodd1 said:

servervalheim.png

I'm also testing with my external IP by having a friend try to join. He is also seeing the not responding thing.

I too am trying to run this in a Docker and have my server set to public but it is not showing up in the Steam Server list.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.  Ports are all set correctly.  I ran a RUST server for a while with no problems.

12 minutes ago, TheExplorographer said:

I too am trying to run this in a Docker and have my server set to public but it is not showing up in the Steam Server list.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.  Ports are all set correctly.  I ran a RUST server for a while with no problems.

Are you sure its set to UDP and not TCP?  I dont have unifi but in my opnsense you can pick what type of port.  Is there an advanced setting?

I have my Valheim server up and running; friends say it works fine.  However is there a way to see if its being logged into and used?  The logs only show the server is active but nothing about who or what is connected to it.  I personally dont have the game and they asked me to host since I have a server already setup but would like to see its stats of how much cpu and whos connecting.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, Boo3 said:

Its still doing it sorry for the late response😬

I would recommend to try to start over again and delete the folder that is created for TF2 and the container, tried it again and everything is working perfectly fine: tf2.log and I can connct to it and play on it.

I think in your case it can't access all the files.

Please try to start over and delete everything related to the TeamFortress container.

EDIT: these are my settings:

grafik.thumb.png.65ff8dd2b28a65e30cc17903ba9ae728.png

34 minutes ago, jeremytodd1 said:

I don't see the protocl here is it UDP?

Sorry I'm not too familar with Unifi.

16 minutes ago, TheExplorographer said:

I too am trying to run this in a Docker and have my server set to public but it is not showing up in the Steam Server list.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.  Ports are all set correctly.

Please check if you forwarded all ports UDP. This is I think mostly a forwarding issue... Please keep in mind that if you leave the ports at the default you have to enter YOURIP:2457 and not 2456 in the Steam Server browser and click refresh.

Just for proof I see a few Dockers in the list that wasn't renamed completely, so the container runs just fine:

grafik.png.218c48133aef8eff8a825fd449e2ec63.png

On 2/11/2021 at 2:14 AM, ich777 said:

Did the whole world reset or only the last things you built/changed?

Yes, the whole world reset.   This was the first time restarting after running for 2-3 days.   I've tried replicating after the recent update, and can't get the world to clear out.    Looks like this isn't an issue anymore.   Also, I do have this set to a cached drive.

Thanks for all your help!

So this whole thing with dedicated servers in Valheim is kind of buggy in the community list in the game right now.

Yesterday, I set up the docker and everything worked fine. The docker showed up in the community list and my friend (X) an I were both able to connect.

Yesterday evening another friend (Y) wanted to join but wasn't able to seed the server in the community list. For me the server was still visible. So I tried to restart the docker. After the restart, even I couldn't see the server on the list anymore.

I tried to reinstall the docker, change the ports but wasn't able to get it to show up on the in game list since then.

Now here is the strange thing > my friend (X) who saw the docker at the beginning, can still see it in the list and connect from there :)

But I also don't trust this list .. the amount of servers always stands around 5000. I think the list is incomplete and runs in some kind of timeout while loading.

Another issue I could imagine is that the docker can't register properly as it is on some kind of blocked list since the first restart. As it is signed in anonymously I could only imagine that my IP gets blocked from listing again. I might try to change my public IP to verify this Idea.

I know about the workaround but wasn't able to check this with the public IP as friend (X) still connects trough the community list and friend (Y) hasn't tried since. I'm able to connect trough my local IP. 

Log from server start seems to be okay to me:

---Checking if UID: 99 matches user---
usermod: no changes
---Checking if GID: 100 matches user---
usermod: no changes
---Setting umask to 000---
---Checking for optional scripts---
---No optional script found, continuing---
---Starting...---
---Update SteamCMD---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK
---Update Server---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK
Success! App '896660' already up to date.
---Prepare Server---
---Server ready---
---Start Server---
CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 1 milliseconds to initialize
CApplicationManagerPopulateThread took 0 milliseconds to initialize (will have waited on CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread)
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 58): SteamGameServer012 / GameServer
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 58): SteamUtils009 / Utils
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 892970
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 58): SteamGameServer012 / GameServer
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 58): SteamUtils009 / Utils
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 58): SteamNetworking005 / Networking
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 58): SteamGameServerStats001 / GameServerStats
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 58): STEAMHTTP_INTERFACE_VERSION002 / HTTP
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 58): STEAMINVENTORY_INTERFACE_V002 / Inventory
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 58): STEAMUGC_INTERFACE_VERSION010 / UGC
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 58): STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION008 / Apps

3 minutes ago, Symon said:

So this whole thing with dedicated servers in Valheim is kind of buggy in the community list in the game right now.

Please see one post above your's there are many more bugs, this game is in alpha state I think and the developers have a lot of work to do.

4 minutes ago, Symon said:

Another issue I could imagine is that the docker can't register properly as it is on some kind of blocked list since the first restart.

I don't think so when you are saying that one friend is able to find the game in the list.

The container is not different to a root server or a dedicated machine, also why shouldn't it be able to register if you friend can see it.

5 minutes ago, Symon said:

the amount of servers always stands around 5000.

I think 5000 is the hard limit that the developers set and then it doesn't refreshes anymore.

See two posts above yours.

6 minutes ago, Symon said:

I might try to change my public IP to verify this Idea.

Why would you do this. This is a game specific problem.

7 minutes ago, Symon said:

Log from server start seems to be okay to me

Yes this is a perfectly fine start of the server.

Keep in mind this game is in alpha state and when I initialy created the container the server list in game doesn't even worked...

Hey all valheim server is runnign beautifully.  Saw this text on the server guide from the dev:

"Administrating the Server and setting permissions You can edit three separate text-files to set 1) who has admin privileges, 2) who is banned from your server, and 3) who is permitted on your server. These three files, located in the default save path, are called ‘adminlist.txt’, bannedlist.txt’, and permittedlist.txt’. Add Steam IDs (one per line) to set desired roles."

I can't find those files in the app data on unraid.  Am I looking int he wrong spot?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jeremytodd1 said:

Yep. They are set to UDP.

Is it possible that your ISP blocks some ports so that a port forwarding isn't possible?

Also have you tried to connect over the server browser from a external client?

YOURPUBLICIP:2467

Sorry I really can't help here since I've tried it now on my own and I can connect trough the Steam Server browser.

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Is it possible that your ISP blocks some ports so that a port forwarding isn't possible?

Also have you tried to connect over the server browser from a external client?

YOURPUBLICIP:2467

Sorry I really can't help here since I've tried it now on my own and I can connect trough the Steam Server browser.

II have Google Fiber and they do not block ports. 

So yeah, I'm at a bit of a loss on what it could be. =\

3 minutes ago, zmanfarlee said:

There you go:

grafik.png.2f9af09add0ee82578fd8920e0420cb8.png

3 minutes ago, TheBrian said:

Has anyone had issues with the Valheim container constantly looping through the startup process and never starting properly?

First of all I edited your post and saved the log to a file.

Are you running the default settings, what have you changed? How long is the password, keep in mind that it has to be at least 5 characters long.

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

There you go:

grafik.png.2f9af09add0ee82578fd8920e0420cb8.png

First of all I edited your post and saved the log to a file.

Are you running the default settings, what have you changed? How long is the password, keep in mind that it has to be at least 5 characters long.

Dude getting unraid was one of my best decisions.  Whenever I have had an issue I got help.  You guys are amazing.

• Like 1