[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

Just now, ich777 said:

There you go:

grafik.png.2f9af09add0ee82578fd8920e0420cb8.png

First of all I edited your post and saved the log to a file.

Are you running the default settings, what have you changed? How long is the password, keep in mind that it has to be at least 5 characters long.

Thanks for attaching my log as a file.  I'll do that from now on.

I set:

SteamCMD: /mnt/user/appdata/37648-valheim1

ServerFiles: /mnt/user/appdata/37648-valheim1

Server Name: Valheim Home

World Name: MyHome

Server Password: MyPassword (my actual password is 8 chars letters and numbers)

Public Server: 1 

Debug Log Output: true

17 minutes ago, jeremytodd1 said:

So yeah, I'm at a bit of a loss on what it could be. =\

I think something is blocking the traffic but can't tell you what, I have it tested with my server and my laptop connected to my mobile phones internet and it works just flawlessly when I type in my PUBLICIP:2457

10 minutes ago, TheBrian said:

Thanks for attaching my log as a file.  I'll do that from now on.

Yep, just to not bloat the thread here...

10 minutes ago, TheBrian said:

ServerFiles: /mnt/user/appdata/37648-valheim1

Please try to set this to the actual disk not /mnt/user.

If you got a cache drive installed and the directory is on your cache drive then /mnt/cache/appdata/37648-valheim1

(also please make sure that you set the use cache in the share settings to 'Only' or 'Prefer')

Most of the games that I make needs the path to the physical disk /mnt/cache and not the fuse filesystem /mnt/user

I also can imagine that Valheim doesn't like any special characters like "-" in the path but that is only a guess...

6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I think something is blocking the traffic but can't tell you what, I have it tested with my server and my laptop connected to my mobile phones internet and it works just flawlessly when I type in my PUBLICIP:2457

Yep, just to not bloat the thread here...

Please try to set this to the actual disk not /mnt/user.

If you got a cache drive installed and the directory is on your cache drive then /mnt/cache/appdata/37648-valheim1

(also please make sure that you set the use cache in the share settings to 'Only' or 'Prefer')

Most of the games that I make needs the path to the pysical disk /mnt/cache and not the fuse filesystem /mnt/user

I also can imagine that valheime doesn't like any special characters like "-" in the path but that is only a guess...

Thanks for the support.  I wiped my steamcmd and serverfiles directories and started over.

I left the steamcmd var default and pointed the serverfiles to a different directory under /mnt/cache as you suggested.  This time the logs appears to look better but still contains loads of errors. 

(Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

02/13/2021 12:30:25: failed to load MyWorld

but now I see this, which I've never seen before.  

CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 0 milliseconds to initialize
CApplicationManagerPopulateThread took 0 milliseconds to initialize (will have waited on CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread)
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 115): SteamGameServer012 / GameServer
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 115): SteamUtils009 / Utils
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 892970
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 115): SteamGameServer012 / GameServer
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 115): SteamUtils009 / Utils
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 115): SteamNetworking005 / Networking
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 115): SteamGameServerStats001 / GameServerStats
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 115): STEAMHTTP_INTERFACE_VERSION002 / HTTP
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 115): STEAMINVENTORY_INTERFACE_V002 / Inventory
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 115): STEAMUGC_INTERFACE_VERSION010 / UGC
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 115): STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION008 / Apps
02/13/2021 12:30:25: Server ID 90071992547409920

I also see 2457/udp open, but nothing appears in the server list yet.  This may be the 25+ minute delay point.  It would be great to see "Server is running" in the logs.  I'm not familiar with steamcmd, but I suppose there's a way to see if the server is healthy via the container console.

PORT     STATE         SERVICE
2457/udp open|filtered rapido-ip
MAC Address: 02:42:02:02:14:22 (Unknown)

1 minute ago, TheBrian said:

This time the logs appears to look better but still contains loads of errors. 

As said earlier this game is alpha and I think this wouldn't change in the near future...

2 minutes ago, TheBrian said:

but now I see this, which I've never seen before.  

This seems like a perfectly fine startup. ;)

3 minutes ago, TheBrian said:

I also see 2457/udp open, but nothing appears in the server list yet.  This may be the 25+ minute delay point.  It would be great to see "Server is running" in the logs.  I'm not familiar with steamcmd, but I suppose there's a way to see if the server is healthy via the container console.

You can browse it in the Steam Server browser please read the second recommended post, as said earlier this is a alpha...

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

As said earlier this game is alpha and I think this wouldn't change in the near future...

This seems like a perfectly fine startup. ;)

You can browse it in the Steam Server browser please read the second recommended post, as said earlier this is a alpha...

Thanks, I appreciate the help.  I'll take a look at the posts and poke around a bit more.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Whiskey90 said:

Same issue here, I think its an Alpha issue with the software itself.

What issue?

You should always be able to connect to the server from the Steam Server browser (second recommended post in this thread at the top) even if you are connecting from outside if the port forwarding is done correctly.

@TheBrian in case you didn't found it yet:

grafik.png.b6ca24cd5513cf341f5fa4ed3cb9d512.png

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

What issue?

You should always be able to connect to the server from the Steam Server browser (second recommended post in this thread at the top) even if you are connecting from outside if the port forwarding is done correctly.

@TheBrian in case you didn't found it yet:

grafik.png.b6ca24cd5513cf341f5fa4ed3cb9d512.png

I can connect via lan and a friend can join me via the join friend setting on Steam, but the hasn't shown up in the community server browser in ~24 hours of being public. I have forwarded the ports via pfSense using a copy of the same rules/NAT as another successful port forward so I am kind of at a loss.

I am unable to see my valhiem server in the server list. It looks like everything is ok. Here is my log.

---Checking if UID: 99 matches user---
---Checking if GID: 100 matches user---
---Setting umask to 000---
---Checking for optional scripts---
---No optional script found, continuing---
---Starting...---
---Update SteamCMD---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK
---Update Server---
---Validating installation---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK
Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 0.50 (5248226 / 1045076385)
Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 39.37 (411430397 / 1045076385)
Update state (0x5) verifying install, progress: 95.58 (998845629 / 1045076385)
Success! App '896660' fully installed.
---Prepare Server---
---Server ready---
---Start Server---
CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 1 milliseconds to initialize
CApplicationManagerPopulateThread took 0 milliseconds to initialize (will have waited on CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread)
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 66): SteamGameServer012 / GameServer
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 66): SteamUtils009 / Utils
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 892970
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 66): SteamGameServer012 / GameServer
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 66): SteamUtils009 / Utils
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 66): SteamNetworking005 / Networking
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 66): SteamGameServerStats001 / GameServerStats
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 66): STEAMHTTP_INTERFACE_VERSION002 / HTTP
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 66): STEAMINVENTORY_INTERFACE_V002 / Inventory
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 66): STEAMUGC_INTERFACE_VERSION010 / UGC
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 66): STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION008 / Apps

5 hours ago, jeremytodd1 said:

Wait, how does your Port Forwarding section look like that? I posted a screenshot earlier (I think on the previous page) and my Unifi page looks different than that.

the page looks same, but yours is from mobile phone right? mine is from pc. you only need 1 rule, you can set ports "from-to" so you have all needed ports in one rule. and you have to wait until your usg or what ever has provisioned until the port forwarding is working, and also it take some time after the first start of the server. and if you not have changed the ports in the docker, you need to connect to port 2457 and not 2456 (my fault on my first try xD)

• Like 1

Running in to an issue with valheim - when I stop/restart the container, it renames the current {world}.db file to {world}.db.backup and then generates a new db file that is significantly smaller than the existing one. When the server does load with that db, the world is reset back to normal. Any idea what's causing this?

6 hours ago, Whiskey90 said:

but the hasn't shown up in the community server browser in ~24 hours of being public.

Keep in mind that this server is in alpha state and I got many reports about that, I think this is some kind of alpha issue and the game has to get a bit more mature...

6 hours ago, cryosin said:

I am unable to see my valhiem server in the server list.

In the ingame server list or im the Steam Server Browser?

Please read the second recommended post in this thread at the top.

The server startup looks just fine. ;)

5 hours ago, Lotusboy said:

everytime i change file game.ini

What are you changing? Have you got a log output?

2 hours ago, theiam79 said:

Running in to an issue with valheim - when I stop/restart the container, it renames the current {world}.db file to {world}.db.backup and then generates a new db file that is significantly smaller than the existing one. When the server does load with that db, the world is reset back to normal. Any idea what's causing this?

Are you running a world that you have imported?

Has the worldname changed?

Please also keep in mind that this server is in alpha and the developers know this bug, see the third recommended post in this thread at the top.

Okay, I got my server to run but no one can see it in the public server listing. They have to put the info in manually. Which is fine I guess.  I have some questions;  When the server is updated, or the docker is updated, will the server reset?  And will that generate a new seed?  And do we have control over the server map seed? If so, will we lose all server progress?

@ConnectivIT@TheExplorographer, @theiam79, @M2k, @cryosin, @Whiskey90, @jeremytodd1, @TheBrian, @zmanfarlee, @Spectral Force, @Kuwabara89, @bjamm, @hyperhtml, @Symon, @darknavi, @Dragon99, @Hectic, @BSAVAG3, @SolidFyre, @[email protected], @wbzial, @nesede, @bobfromacc0unting, @cardo, @ohdear94, @luckyy, @NotYetRated, @MacGeekPaul, @tinycatsamurai, @Torbjorn, @darkslyde, @n0drod, @RPM-Monkey, @jvperez, @MadeOfCard, @Pl4ytimes, @TechnologyZ & @grufftech

I now implemented a Backup function into the container itself to prevent or at least to somewhat solve the world corruption bug that is present in the gameserver itself.

It is set to create a backup after every 62 minutes after the start/restart of the container you will find the Backups in '.../valheim/Backups' and will keep by default the last 24 backups (this will keep you always a full day of Backups in case something goes wrong).

To enable this function you have to force an update of the container (ATTENTION: PLEASE KEEP IN MIND IF YOU FORCE AN UPDATE THE CONTAINER IS EVENTUALLY NOT STOPPED THE WAY IT SHOULD STOP, I WOULD RECOMMEND TO STOP IT IN THE FIRST PLACE AND THEN FORCE THE UPDATE ON THE DOCKER PAGE).

If you don't want to use this function I've update the template (but you have to pull it again from the CA App or add the variables manually, be default it is always enabled with as said above 62 minutes and keep the last 24 backups.

grafik.thumb.png.14832692c1ad844a319b5bce6b4625a2.png

The variables are:

Key: BACKUP_FILES | Value: true

Key: BACKUP_INTERVAL | Value: 62

Key: BACKUP_TO_KEEP | Value: 24

Please keep in mind that Valheim is an early alpha game and such bugs are likely to happen most of the times...

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, TheExplorographer said:

When the server is updated, or the docker is updated, will the server reset?

The container should be updated not that often since the container pulls the update of the game files, if an update of Valheim is available simply restart it, if it wouldn't pull the update set the variable 'Validate' to 'true' and it should begin to validate the gamefiles on the server start (after it validates the files please set the variable back to empty because if you leave it at 'true' it will always validate the gamefiles that can take longer than a normal startup).

The container is updated that often in the last time because I do my best to do everything about the world corruption bug that I can...

The server shouldn't reset but since there is a BUG in the gameserver itself I can't tell if this will happen to you or not, this is completely random.

26 minutes ago, TheExplorographer said:

And will that generate a new seed?

No you have not controll over the seed because there is no option (at least that I know - if you know it please contact me) to set a seed on the world generation, but you can import a world from your local computer, please see the second recommended post on the top of this thread on how to do that.

If it is newly generated there will be a new seed.

28 minutes ago, TheExplorographer said:

If so, will we lose all server progress?

As said there is currently a bug in the server that the developers of the game are aware of and there is currently no fix for this (I implemented a backup inside the container now to prevent or at least somewhat solve that problem for now): BUG - Click.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ich777 said:

What are you changing? Have you got a log output?

I'm trying to change the server name, number of players, type of server .... normally by editing the GameUserSettings.ini file but everytime i restart the server the file is empty again. I always stop the server when trying to change this

Thanks for all the hard work on these dockers.  I am host a private server and only allow my friends to connect via strict firewall rules (they give me their public IP to whitelist).  I am seeing something pretty odd in my firewall logs.  I am seeing lots of firewall from my server to internal IP addresses that are not on my network.  10.X addresses, 172.17 addresses.  Since these addresses do not exist, all this traffic is getting dropped by the firewall.  This traffic is all high UDP ports, 56000+.  From local clients, I can see traffic passing between client and server on these, and wonder if this is normal.

EDIT: I have the Valheim server running on a specific IP, which I have NAT'ed and opened up externally on my firewall.

Edited by hammsandwich
22 hours ago, ich777 said:

The container isn't made for autodownloading community mods.

You have to do that from the command line and then you can add it.

Thanks! I am a bit new to this. Any chance you could you provide an example of what the command line would look like? Do I just run this once on the console command line or do I need to add this to a start-up file so it is run every time the container is started?

2 hours ago, hammsandwich said:

This traffic is all high UDP ports, 56000+.

I can't tell you if that's normal because I don't know your exact setup...

EDIT: But I think this are very specific ports for SIP: Click

1 hour ago, Nesquik said:

I am a bit new to this.

If you google something like 'install workshop content steam cmd' you should find something like: Click or Click

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Lotusboy said:

I'm trying to change the server name, number of players, type of server .... normally by editing the GameUserSettings.ini file but everytime i restart the server the file is empty again. I always stop the server when trying to change this

This is what a quick google search brought up: Click

Sorry I really can't help how to configure the server but it's not different to a server that is running on a dedicated box.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

I can't tell you if that's normal because I don't know your exact setup...

EDIT: But I think this are very specific ports for SIP: Click

I have the Valheim server running on a specific IP, which I have NAT'ed and opened up externally on my firewall.  It would be strange for SIP to be coming from your server, would it not?  This is Valheim, I do not think there is voice chat enabled in the game.  As soon as I start the container I see it trying to reach out to various IPs: 

These are all internal IPs, and I do not have any of these network ranges on my internal network, so I see these in my firewall logs as drops.  Could be internal IPs of people connecting to my server?  I find this unlikely as I only have 4 external people connecting.  Just some of the ports I am seeing, all UDP:

54678, 54676, 65468, 51777, 51779, 54056, 56492, 56496, 61559, 61557

12 minutes ago, hammsandwich said:

These are all internal IPs, and I do not have any of these network ranges on my internal network, so I see these in my firewall logs as drops.  Could be internal IPs of people connecting to my server?

Are you sure that these are from the Container?

Can you verify that your ISP is filtering out all unecessary traffic (and yes this can be internal IP's also).

For example my ISP isn't filtering the traffic correctly for SIP and VoIP.

EDIT: I get about 100-500 queries from the internet from "internal" IP's.

It would be strange for SIP to be coming from your server, would it not?  This is Valheim, I do not think there is voice chat enabled in the game.  As soon as I start the container I see it trying to reach out to various IPs

You have to ask the developers what these things are, since my container only downloads SteamCMD and afterwards the Valheim Server and then it starts the Valheim Server. ;)