[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

33 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Are you sure that these are from the Container?

Yes, the container has its own IP via macvlan, so its easy to distinguish this vs other Unraid traffic.

34 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you verify that your ISP is filtering out all unecessary traffic (and yes this can be internal IP's also).

For example my ISP isn't filtering the traffic correctly for SIP and VoIP.

Can you elaborate?  I use a Palo Alto virtual firewall, and it does all my filtering and and traffic logging.

@ich777 Thank you for all your effort and for the backup function! I really enjoy this game :)

Unfortunately, I encountered another problem. The docker worked so far pretty well with 2 players. Today, another friend joined the game and as soon as we all went to the same area we had huge lags an sometimes weren't able to open doors and storage chests. I restarted the server and we joined again but the laags were kind of unbearable. In the end one friend left and with just two players it worked again. (only some minor lags)

I'm kind of uncertain if I have to change something or if this are some other bugs in the current state. I even dedicated 10 VCPU cores (Threadripper) to the docker to test whether it would run better but it had no effect on it. I have a 100Mb upstream so I don't expect any bandwidth problems. Any idea?

It seems to be a problem that other people encounter as well. How is you experience with multiplayer (especially 2+)?

13 minutes ago, hammsandwich said:

Can you elaborate?

No, I really don't know about networking stuff that much, but what I can tell you is that this is possible since I got requests from internal IP ranges on my external interface.

13 minutes ago, hammsandwich said:

Yes, the container has its own IP via macvlan, so its easy to distinguish this vs other Unraid traffic.

Then I really can't help, you have to ask the developers of the game what this traffic is because as said above the container only downloads SteamCMD, then the Valheim Server and then it starts the Valheim Server.

Here is the source code if you don't trust me. ;)

(like everything I make publicly available you can find it in my Github)

Please ask the developers on this, I really can't help here... :/

Just now, Symon said:

I'm kind of uncertain if I have to change something or if this are some other bugs in the current state.

These are questions that should be asked on the Discord, Steam Community Hub or Valheim Support since there is nothing I can do about that because this is completely game related.

One thing I noticed is the high utilisation of the CPU even when no one is connected to the server, I've seen games like ARK that don't need that much power if they are in idle state.

Please keep in mind that this game is still in early alpha and performance issues and everything are very likely to happen... :/

On 2/12/2021 at 11:02 AM, bobfromacc0unting said:

Hi. It appears my valheim dedicated server updated overnight and the world has reset. Is this common? How do i fix this/stop it from happening again?

Hi @ich777

I've been doing a simple "docker restart Valheim" on a schedule to ensure that updates get installed.

I'm getting consistent world corruption when this happens. The "kill -2" command previously advised was obtained from the Valheim Discord server support.  I'm also seeing this as an option:

pkill --signal SIGINT "valheim"

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lbkjkd/dedicated_server_restart_gracefully/

Not sure if this might have less chance of causing the world-corruption bug to occur?

Edited by ConnectivIT
41 minutes ago, ConnectivIT said:

Not sure if this might have less chance of causing the world-corruption bug to occur?

No because the command 'pkill --signal SIGINT "valheim"', 'pkill -2 valheim', 'pkill -SIGINT valheim' and various other combinations are all the same: Click

The main problem is that there is a bug in the game (I think there are many bugs in the game...) that this can happen completely random.

Have you already installed the Docker updated that I've pushed? I have integrated now a automated backup script into the container: Click

What you can also try is to change your restart command to:

docker restart -t 30 Valheim

EDIT: as said multiple times above this is a game in early alpha state and such problems are very common to happen.

• Like 1

Hello,

First of all:

ich777, thank you so much for your game server containers, I really appreciate it, and I know my friends do too.

Two questions:

1. Does your containers only run on unRAID?

- I'm planning on changing my setup down the line, and I would really love to keep your containers.

2. For Valheim, is it possible to use the whitelist?

- I can't find it in any of the files.

24 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

Does your containers only run on unRAID?

No, they should work on other systems too, they are OOB optimized for Unraid in terms of UID and GID but they are Docker Containers and I also run a few of my Containers on a Odroid N2+.

26 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

For Valheim, is it possible to use the whitelist?

I don't know if there is a whitelist, I only know the banlist, I answered a question about that here:

18 minutes ago, ich777 said:

No, they should work on other systems too, they are OOB optimized for Unraid in terms of UID and GID but they are Docker Containers and I also run a few of my Containers on a Odroid N2+.

I don't know if there is a whitelist, I only know the banlist, I answered a question about that here:

Awesome!

There should be a adminlist, bannedlist and permittedlist (whitelist).

I just can't seem to find those lists anywhere.

Do you know where they are?

42 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

There should be a adminlist, bannedlist and permittedlist (whitelist).

Oh now I see it it's the permittedlist, should read my own thread... :D

Please look at the linked post above, click on the little grafik.png.03dbcd197a1b37e80240eeb4be9759c0.png and you will see what I mean, there is also the path to the files ;)

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Oh now I see it it's the permittedlist, should read my own thread... :D

Please look at the linked post above, click on the little grafik.png.03dbcd197a1b37e80240eeb4be9759c0.png and you will see what I mean, there is also the path to the files ;)

I'm an idiot.... I missed the dot for hidden files.

Thank you :)

Is there a way to support you a bit?

• Like 1

This has propably told in million places but I just cannot find any proper information on how I should shutdown the server before updating it?

i have auto updater plugin in unraid which keeps my docker images up to date, but I am concerned if that just shuts the container and messes up with the server files. I was about to write script for keeping valheim server up-to-date that shuts the game server and then the container check for update and then booting all up again.

6 minutes ago, Dennis Cocktoast said:

This has propably told in million places but I just cannot find any proper information on how I should shutdown the server before updating it?

Click on the Container icon on your Docker page and then Stop.

If you are talking about Valheim, the world destroy bug can happen at random times, this game is in early alpha state and such things are very common to happen.

7 minutes ago, Dennis Cocktoast said:

i have auto updater plugin in unraid which keeps my docker images up to date, but I am concerned if that just shuts the container and messes up with the server files

You can turn off that the autoupdate shuts down the Container, go into the Plugin itself by clicking on the 'CA Backup / Restore Appdata' on your Plugins page and click at the bottom at 'Show Advanced Settings' and choose 'Don't Stop' at the Containers that should not stop when it is backing up the appdata folder.

9 minutes ago, Dennis Cocktoast said:

I was about to write script for keeping valheim server up-to-date that shuts the game server and then the container check for update and then booting all up again.

You can do that with the User Scripts Plugin from the CA App.

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Actually yes, look in the CA App and you will find it when you click the "i" on a gameserver Container... :)

Alright.
I'll donate some money for you at my next payment, you deserve it :)

- Another question:
How do you make the server use the whitelist? Is it just on by default?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, ich777 said:

These are questions that should be asked on the Discord, Steam Community Hub or Valheim Support since there is nothing I can do about that because this is completely game related.

Yeah you are right .. it seems to be a common problem with the current network implementation of the game:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/892970/discussions/0/4939856028569039376/

Well let's see how long it takes till they can fix this or provide a better solution for dedicated server.

To sum up the problem: If one player has a bad upload connection to the server, the game will get desynced and there will be huge lags for everyone. It seems to get worse close to buildings.

13 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

How do you make the server use the whitelist? Is it just on by default?

That's a question you have to ask on the Valheim forums/Discord/Steam Community Hub...

3 minutes ago, Symon said:

Well let's see how long it takes till they can fix this or provide a better solution for dedicated server.

I think this will take some time since this game is in early alpha state and has many bugs, the last 5 sites in this thread are mostly dedicated to Valheim support because of the bugs in the game.

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

That's a question you have to ask on the Valheim forums/Discord/Steam Community Hub...

I think this will take some time since this game is in early alpha state and has many bugs, the last 5 sites in this thread are mostly dedicated to Valheim support because of the bugs in the game.

No worries.
Thank you for your work again :)

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

They're quick at answering in the Valheim Discord.

The whitelist is parsed by default, so if you fill something in it, and reboot it, it's going to use the whitelist.

I assume it's the same with the admin and banned list as well.

I'm not much of a Discord guy and don't want to be... (also much work here to do with my Containers) :D

On 2/14/2021 at 12:38 AM, ich777 said:

To enable this function you have to force an update of the container (ATTENTION: PLEASE KEEP IN MIND IF YOU FORCE AN UPDATE THE CONTAINER IS EVENTUALLY NOT STOPPED THE WAY IT SHOULD STOP, I WOULD RECOMMEND TO STOP IT IN THE FIRST PLACE AND THEN FORCE THE UPDATE ON THE DOCKER PAGE).

Hey ich, 

I stopped the container, forced an update but I'm not seeing any of the backup settings listed in the container. Do I have to remove and re-add through CA?

2 minutes ago, Vega14 said:

I stopped the container, forced an update but I'm not seeing any of the backup settings listed in the container. Do I have to remove and re-add through CA?

Exactly, by default it will create a folder in your valheim directory named 'Backup' and it will keep the last 24 backups that are created every 62 minutes, if that's enough you don't have to redownload it from the CA App.

Hallo habe das Problem das ich bei counterstrike source keine Server.cfg finde und es über die console per exec Server.cfg nicht starten kann... genauso ging das doch auch über die startparameter des docker ? Bitte helft mir ... bekomme keine Server.cfg geladen ... weder über console noch über startparamter... was kann ich machen ?