[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

I just figured it out!  It turns out that at least in my case, it was Valheim+ doing it.  i had it turned on on the server side when the clients didn't have it installed.  For some reason the last version didn't care about that, but the new one very much does.  I installed the mod and it worked without a hitch.  I'm assuming setting that variable to False on the server side would also fix it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, WAY2INTENTS said:

My Valheim container has started up and I am able to reach it just fine if I connect to the local IP 192.168.x.x:2456. In my Unraid Docker setup, I see port mappings from 172.17.x.x:2456 < - > 192.168.x.x:2456. However, when I (and my friends) try to connect using the 172 IP it doesn't work. If I connect via the IP address I see when I go to whatismyip that also works. What is the reason behind the docker port not working?

This is a docker network IP used for bridging, and a private IP.  It is not expected to be used for connectivity.  Your friends should be connecting using your external public IP. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BBLV said:

Same issue here...

Have you solved your issue? Have you installed ValheimPlus?

1 hour ago, BBLV said:

And is there a console command that returns the current installed game version?

Nope, that's something I would post on the Valheim Discord/Forums/Steam Community Hub that they implement this so that it shows up when the server starts.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ich777 said:

Have you solved your issue? Have you installed ValheimPlus?

Nope, that's something I would post on the Valheim Discord/Forums/Steam Community Hub that they implement this so that it shows up when the server starts.

No ValheimPlus, but I waited a little longer after restarting the container and remote users were able to connect with the latest Valheim client version.

• Like 1

Hi guys, does anyone know how to route the valheim gameserver docker through a vpn container?

I am stuck to mobile broadband, so I can't foward my ports. But I heard it should be possible if the gameserver is routed through a vpn that supports port fowarding.

My binhex-delugevpn is running fine with Private Internet Access, thx to Spaceinvader One ☺️

But if i try to route the valheim docker through it, it doesn't connect.

I added the valheim ports 2456-2458 to the delugevpn docker as described in Spaceinvader One's video "How to route any docker container through a VPN container":

grafik.png.b1efb44aea6ac220f9be6fa9fa1e9e73.png

I also set the valheim network to "none" and added "--net=container:binhex-delugevpn" to the extra parameters.

Is it even possible to route a gameserver through delugevpn?

If not how can I make the valheim server work with vpn? Do i need to set up a virtual vpn router?

Any help would be much appreciated 😟

6 hours ago, xflo4444 said:

Is it even possible to route a gameserver through delugevpn?

That is indeed a good question. I think you can or at least have routed the traffic through correctly but please keep in mind that I don't think that is possible to connect to the Container since you have to open the ports on the public IP address from your VPN so that someone actually can connect through it.

Error in Valhaim server log at startup?

[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamNetworkingUtils003 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.

Full log:

---Checking if UID: 99 matches user---
usermod: no changes
---Checking if GID: 100 matches user---
usermod: no changes
---Setting umask to 000---
---Checking for optional scripts---
---No optional script found, continuing---
---Starting...---
---Update SteamCMD---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK
---Update Server---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Success! App '896660' already up to date.
---Prepare Server---
Success! App '896660' already up to date.
---Prepare Server---
---ValheimPlus enabled!---
---ValheimPlus Version Check---
---ValheimPlus v0.9 up-to-date---
---Server ready---
---Starting Backup daemon---
---Start Server---
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded local 'steamclient.so' OK.
CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 1 milliseconds to initialize
CApplicationManagerPopulateThread took 0 milliseconds to initialize (will have waited on CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread)
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamGameServer013 /
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamUtils009 /
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 892970
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamGameServer013 / GameServer
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamUtils009 / Utils
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamNetworking006 / Networking
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamGameServerStats001 / GameServerStats
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): STEAMHTTP_INTERFACE_VERSION003 / HTTP
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): STEAMINVENTORY_INTERFACE_V003 / Inventory
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): STEAMUGC_INTERFACE_VERSION014 / UGC
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION008 / Apps
[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamNetworkingUtils003 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamNetworkingUtils003 /
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamNetworkingSockets008 /
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded local 'steamclient.so' OK.
CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 1 milliseconds to initialize
CApplicationManagerPopulateThread took 0 milliseconds to initialize (will have waited on CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread)
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamGameServer013 /
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamUtils009 /
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 892970
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamGameServer013 / GameServer
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamUtils009 / Utils
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamNetworking006 / Networking
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamGameServerStats001 / GameServerStats
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): STEAMHTTP_INTERFACE_VERSION003 / HTTP
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): STEAMINVENTORY_INTERFACE_V003 / Inventory
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): STEAMUGC_INTERFACE_VERSION014 / UGC
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION008 / Apps
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamNetworkingUtils003 /
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 69): SteamNetworkingSockets008 /

Edited by ChillZwix
2 hours ago, ich777 said:

That is indeed a good question. I think you can or at least have routed the traffic through correctly but please keep in mind that I don't think that is possible to connect to the Container since you have to open the ports on the public IP address from your VPN so that someone actually can connect through it.

I guess i have to open the ports as you said. Are those the ports of the pia vpn?

The ports of my binhex delugevpn all seem to be closed. Of course the bittorrent services still works, but it's not perfect...

As far as i understand you need some scripts to open pia ports if you are not using their official apps.

Maybe this is possible with a virtual VPN router like spaceinvader one has shown in one of his videos?

3 hours ago, xflo4444 said:

I guess i have to open the ports as you said.

Sorry wasn't clear enough in my previous answer.

You should be able to connect to the server via the Steam Server Browser with 'YOURINTERNALIPOFDELUGEVPN:2457' if you also created a port entry for the ports UDP 2456-2458 in your delugevpn template.

3 hours ago, xflo4444 said:

As far as i understand you need some scripts to open pia ports if you are not using their official apps.

Sorry I really can't help with that and I'm also not sure if this is possible via a VPN because you have to physically open the ports for the IP address that you are connected through and then can connect with the 'VPNPUBLICIP:2457' with the Steam Server Browser.

Really don't know much about PIA and if this is possible through there services.

Have you shared other services through the VPN that are accessible from the internet?

@ich777 any idea of how I can allow SSH (or similar) access to a game server docker? For the Valheim docker I would like to be able to allow our Discord bot to modify permittedlist.txt so that we can automate the SteamID whitelisting process (so I don't need to be there to manually add them).

Any ideas? I'm assuming it is not as simple as opening a TCP port on the docker itself?

11 minutes ago, ich777 said:

What is similar?

Should be possible but you have to write a user.sh script that will execute at the startup of the container.

I don't know much about Discord bots and how they work...

Just any other way to provide remote access to the docker container. Just a a user.sh script that has what kind of command to allow access?

3 minutes ago, Skrumpy said:

Just any other way to provide remote access to the docker container.

You have many ways to connect to the container over SSH through your Unraid server:

1. Connect to your server via SSH
  2. docker exec -ti Valheim /bin/bash
  3. su $USER

With this commands you are in the "user" shell of the container.

4 minutes ago, Skrumpy said:

Just a a user.sh script that has what kind of command to allow access?

A user.sh script is actually a strong tool, this runs as root on every start of the container and you can basically install everything inside the container to create a connection what you want.

For example a SSH daemon, TELNET, or whatever you can imagine, you even can write a script that waits for inputs but as said I don't know how such a Discord bot works and what kind of input our output it needs...

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, ich777 said:

You have many ways to connect to the container over SSH through your Unraid server:

1. Connect to your server via SSH
  2. docker exec -ti Valheim /bin/bash
  3. su $USER

With this commands you are in the "user" shell of the container.

A user.sh script is actually a strong tool, this runs as root on every start of the container and you can basically install everything inside the container to create a connection what you want.

For example a SSH daemon, TELNET, or whatever you can imagine, you even can write a script that waits for inputs but as said I don't know how such a Discord bot works and what kind of input our output it needs...

I think we got it setup, appreciate the help!

• Like 1

Hey @ich777 , seems like the Squad game server docker is having some issues, Tried removing the docker and re-adding it now the docker log just shows it stuck in a loop (logging in to steam, checking for updates, loading steam api....). Wish I had more information for you, but I'm not really sure what is going on. Also tried removing steamCMD and letting it re-install but that had no effect.

42 minutes ago, Skrumpy said:

I think we got it setup, appreciate the help!

May I ask what you did?

29 minutes ago, DirkDiggler531 said:

Tried removing the docker and re-adding it now the docker log just shows it stuck in a loop (logging in to steam, checking for updates, loading steam api....).

What have you done or better speaking what have you removed?

The container and also the directory that is created in your appdata folder for Squad?

I now pulled a fresh copy from the CA App an the server starts fine.

Here are the last lines from the log (sorry, the log is rather long but these are the last lines): Squad.log

The server is running and I can query it just fine from the Steam Server Browser:

grafik.thumb.png.0a3af5fb0cc0b84cdf2546a3c9d9e9d9.png

EDIT: If you have entered Steam Creditials in the template then please remove them, they are only needed if the marked as required with the red *

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TheExplorographer said:

Any chance of putting together a Docker for Valheim Plus?

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/4

Or instructions on how to implement it into your current Valheim docker? 

This is already integrated if you pull the template from the CA App again.

EDIT: But keep in mind that you also have to have ValheimPlus on each client with the exact same settings, otherwise you can't connect.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

I'm getting this weird bug where my Valheim world is generating a "WorldName.db.new" file

Are you restarting the Container frequently?

8 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

We are losing our progress every couple days to this bug.

Have you enabled to move your appdata directory off of the cache to the Array?

3 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

It restarts every day, and I'm not sure honestly.

I don't recommend that because  the world destroyer bug is still out there as far as I know.

Are you restarting it with a script?

3 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

Where would I check that?

Go to your share settings and click on the appdata share and look what the setting 'Use Cache Drive' says.

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I don't recommend that because  the world destroyer bug is still out there as far as I know.

Are you restarting it with a script?

Go to your share settings and click on the appdata share and look what the setting 'Use Cache Drive' says.

It restarts due to CA auto-update, so I'll disable the auto-update on it for now. Also, it is set to "Preferred".