[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

16 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

It restarts due to CA auto-update, so I'll disable the auto-update on it for now.

I think you mean CA Backup? CA Auto-Update only will stop it when there is an update available and my containers will need not much updates because they handle the updates on it's own when they are started/restarted.

You can disable it to stop the container when they are backed up by going into the CA Backup and click on the bottom on 'Show Advanced Settings' and there you can click the little slider icon to don't stop it.

I would recommend this to prevent the world destroy bug or at least to look out for the "WorldName.db.new" so you can always go back to an earlier backup because you should have the backups of a whole day...

Also I've read about that the world destroy bug was fixed but I'm not sure if the only talking of the game itself and haven't fixed it in the dedicated server but that would be a question for the Valheim Discord/Forums/Steam Community Hub.

18 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

Also, it is set to "Preferred".

This should be the right setting.

23 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I think you mean CA Backup? CA Auto-Update only will stop it when there is an update available and my containers will need not much updates because they handle the updates on it's own when they are started/restarted.

You can disable it to stop the container when they are backed up by going into the CA Backup and click on the bottom on 'Show Advanced Settings' and there you can click the little slider icon to don't stop it.

I would recommend this to prevent the world destroy bug or at least to look out for the "WorldName.db.new" so you can always go back to an earlier backup because you should have the backups of a whole day...

Also I've read about that the world destroy bug was fixed but I'm not sure if the only talking of the game itself and haven't fixed it in the dedicated server but that would be a question for the Valheim Discord/Forums/Steam Community Hub.

This should be the right setting.

Yeah, the backups that contain the ".new" file don't work. The ".db" file is old data, from a previous save. It's like at some point it just quits saving to the ".db" file and starts writing to the ".new" file instead, which I've tried to load but is unusable. It's a very odd bug.

3 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

It's like at some point it just quits saving to the ".db" file and starts writing to the ".new" file instead

I think it's after the contianer is restarted but I could maybe wrong about that, this is the first report about that the server doesn't saves the world at some point right without the container being restarted or do I understand this wrong?

You can also bump the number of backups to keep in the template to 48 or even 72...

5 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

It's a very odd bug.

Yes I know if you read back a few pages it's all about that bug, that's why I implemented the backup function to the Container.

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I think it's after the contianer is restarted but I could maybe wrong about that, this is the first report about that the server doesn't saves the world at some point right without the container being restarted or do I understand this wrong?

You can also bump the number of backups to keep in the template to 48 or even 72...

Actually no, it's before the restart. The restart was at 6:00AM, but the backup from 5:00AM also has the ".new" file in it. Also, there seems to be a gap in backups from 9:50PM to 5:00AM. Funnily enough, 9:50PM is the last usable backup of the world.

EDIT: We were playing from around 7:00PM to 2:30AM no problem too. It's the changes from 9:50PM (last usable backup) to 2:30AM that were lost.

Edited by kristian221
5 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

Actually no, it's before the restart. The restart was at 6:00AM, but the backup from 5:00AM also has the ".new" file in it. Also, there seems to be a gap in backups from 9:50PM to 5:00AM. Funnily enough, 9:50PM is the last usable backup of the world.

This is really strange and this shouldn't happen...

I will look into this again...

I can't for the life of me get my Valheim server to show up or connect to it in any way. I had it all working perfectly yesterday, playing with friends, hopping in and out of the server without any issues.

Today, I couldn't connect at all so I remade the container etc. changed the container ports and forwarded the new ports on my router. I've done everything I can think of. Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

---Checking if UID: 99 matches user---
usermod: no changes
---Checking if GID: 100 matches user---
usermod: no changes
---Setting umask to 000---
---Checking for optional scripts---
---No optional script found, continuing---
---Starting...---
---Update SteamCMD---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK
---Update Server---
Redirecting stderr to '/serverdata/serverfiles/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[ 0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --
Loading Steam API...OK.

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for user info...OK
Success! App '896660' already up to date.
---Prepare Server---
---Server ready---
---Starting Backup daemon---
---Start Server---
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded local 'steamclient.so' OK.
CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread took 0 milliseconds to initialize
CApplicationManagerPopulateThread took 0 milliseconds to initialize (will have waited on CAppInfoCacheReadFromDiskThread)
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): SteamGameServer013 /
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): SteamUtils009 /
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 892970
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): SteamGameServer013 / GameServer
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): SteamUtils009 / Utils
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): SteamNetworking006 / Networking
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): SteamGameServerStats001 / GameServerStats
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): STEAMHTTP_INTERFACE_VERSION003 / HTTP
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): STEAMINVENTORY_INTERFACE_V003 / Inventory
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): STEAMUGC_INTERFACE_VERSION014 / UGC
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION008 / Apps
[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamNetworkingUtils003 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): SteamNetworkingUtils003 /
RecordSteamInterfaceCreation (PID 60): SteamNetworkingSockets008 /

34 minutes ago, misfit616 said:

I can't for the life of me get my Valheim server to show up or connect to it in any way. I had it all working perfectly yesterday, playing with friends, hopping in and out of the server without any issues.

Your log looks like the server has started up just fine but please also check if you are affected by the world destroy bug, eventually the world got corrupted and you have to restore a Backup from the Backup folder that lives in your valheim directory.

Have you deleted the folder 'valheim' that lives in your 'appdata' directory?

54 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

This seems very strange to me since some backups are not complete and some you can't even open...

Can you please make sure that your Cache drive isn't full at any given time?

Please also check if you got on some array disk a folder named appdata with old backups in it.

41 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Your log looks like the server has started up just fine but please also check if you are affected by the world destroy bug, eventually the world got corrupted and you have to restore a Backup from the Backup folder that lives in your valheim directory.

Have you deleted the folder 'valheim' that lives in your 'appdata' directory?

I have totally deleted all the folders created by the container and started from scratch. I do have the world files from my starting world I can transfer over though so I'm not worried about that.

I just can't get the server to show up in the in-game list or by adding the IP address to the Steam servers list

2 minutes ago, misfit616 said:

I just can't get the server to show up in the in-game list or by adding the IP address to the Steam servers list

What have you entered exactly you know that you have to enter the IPOFUNRAID:2457 and not the default game port 2456 port since the serverport +1 is the query port and it will redirect you to the game port.

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

What have you entered exactly you know that you have to enter the IPOFUNRAID:2457 and not the default game port 2456 port since the serverport +1 is the query port and it will redirect you to the game port.

So I changed the container ports to 2600-2602, then changed the game port to 2600. If I go to the steam server list and add IPOFUNRAID:2601 I get nothing.

Ports are forwarded correctly in my router settings also.

Edited by misfit616
14 minutes ago, misfit616 said:

Just changed them.

Changing doesn't work, please read the description of the Variable itself, it tells you that if you need other ports you have to delete the entry and create a new Port with the corresponding ports UDP.

See it in this way, you changed the GAME_PORT variable from 2456 to 2600 so the game now runs from port 2600 to 2602 and you chanted the value in the existing port forwarding from 2456-2458 to 2600-2602 for the host but you left it at 2456-2458 for the container port, that simply can't work.

18 minutes ago, misfit616 said:

But the same thing was happening with the default settings too.

Can't imagine that it doesn't work with the standard settings since I created a server about 3 hours ago and I can reach it just fine from the Steam Server Browser and connect to it...

Please be sure to also read the second recommended post on the top of this thread.

10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Changing doesn't work, please read the description of the Variable itself, it tells you that if you need other ports you have to delete the entry and create a new Port with the corresponding ports UDP.

See it in this way, you changed the GAME_PORT variable from 2456 to 2600 so the game now runs from port 2600 to 2602 and you chanted the value in the existing port forwarding from 2456-2458 to 2600-2602 for the host but you left it at 2456-2458 for the container port, that simply can't work.

Can't imagine that it doesn't work with the standard settings since I created a server about 3 hours ago and I can reach it just fine from the Steam Server Browser and connect to it...

Please be sure to also read the second recommended post on the top of this thread.

Ahhh ok, thanks for that mate. Changed it back to defaults and I can no see the server in the steam server list with UNRAIDIP:2457. This would only be accessible from within my network now?

The next problem I have is bringing my "single player" world over to the dedicated server. I copy over the files but it won't load into my world. I have the naming correct in the container.  

1 minute ago, misfit616 said:

I have the naming correct in the container. 

I would recommend to rename the world (file name) and not the name in the template, this makes things easier... ;)

I think this was also mentioned in the second recommended post at the top.

This would only be accessible from within my network now?

Exactly to be visible from outside you have to forward the ports 2456-2458 UDP in your Router/Firewall, then it would be accessible with YOURPUBLICIP:2457

8 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I would recommend to rename the world (file name) and not the name in the template, this makes things easier... ;)

I think this was also mentioned in the second recommended post at the top.

Exactly to be visible from outside you have to forward the ports 2456-2458 UDP in your Router/Firewall, then it would be accessible with YOURPUBLICIP:2457

Thanks mate, I've managed to get my world to load now. Still having problems with getting the server visible from outside the network though. I have the three correct ports forwarded on the router. Not sure what else to try now. It was working fine last night with the same config. 

Thanks again for this, I did follow the pinned post yesterday when I first set up the container and it went so smoothly, today has been a bit of a nightmare. 😞

• Like 1
Just now, misfit616 said:

I have the three correct ports forwarded on the router. Not sure what else to try now. It was working fine last night with the same config. 

Are you connecting from outside or trying from inside your network? If your router/firewall doesn't support NAT reflection this won't work, you actually have to connect from outside.

Are you sure that you forwarded only UDP and not TCP or both TCP/UDP?

Thanks again for this, I did follow the pinned post yesterday when I first set up the container and it went so smoothly, today has been a bit of a nightmare. 😞

This is Valheim... :D

This is a nightmare, at least to support... :D

As said many times on the last 25 pages or so, this game is in early alpha state and such things can and will happen...

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Are you connecting from outside or trying from inside your network? If your router/firewall doesn't support NAT reflection this won't work, you actually have to connect from outside.

Are you sure that you forwarded only UDP and not TCP or both TCP/UDP?

This is Valheim... :D

This is a nightmare, at least to support... :D

As said many times on the last 25 pages or so, this game is in early alpha state and such things can and will happen...

OK, I'm trying from within my network. So that's my problem. 

Just used my phones hotspot and I can now find the server in the Steam Sever list!!

Thank you again, so much!

I just tried to get a friend to connect to the server using EXTERNALIP:2457 in the steam server list but it shows server not responding and he is unable to connect. It won't show in the in-game list for either of us. 

Edited by misfit616
25 minutes ago, misfit616 said:

I just tried to get a friend to connect to the server using EXTERNALIP:2457 in the steam server list but it shows server not responding and he is unable to connect. It won't show in the in-game list for either of us. 

He has to click the Refresh button for at least one time and then it should work, if not he should try it a few times.

Sometimes the Server shows up and then vanishes after 1 second or so, but if you are quick enough you can double click it and connect to it (sorry this is a poor answer but this should work).

26 minutes ago, misfit616 said:

It won't show in the in-game list for either of us. 

This can take some time and also the ingame list is very buggy (see the last comment above).

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

He has to click the Refresh button for at least one time and then it should work, if not he should try it a few times.

Sometimes the Server shows up and then vanishes after 1 second or so, but if you are quick enough you can double click it and connect to it (sorry this is a poor answer but this should work).

This can take some time and also the ingame list is very buggy (see the last comment above).

Thanks mate, I've given up for today and I'm going to bed 😂

Hopefully I wake up to some success tomorrow! 

Thanks again so much for your help!

• Like 1