[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

6 hours ago, ich777 said:

This seems very strange to me since some backups are not complete and some you can't even open...

Can you please make sure that your Cache drive isn't full at any given time?

Please also check if you got on some array disk a folder named appdata with old backups in it.

My cache certainly gets full, though I thought that was normal? It's never caused problems before. I do also have backups from the last time our world experienced this issue, if that's what you wanted.

29 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

I do also have backups from the last time our world experienced this issue, if that's what you wanted.

Actually I really can't do something with the backup files.

To what value have you set 'Minimum free space' for your appdata directory in the Share section?

30 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

My cache certainly gets full, though I thought that was normal?

My Cache never get's full, if the Cache get's full and the 'Minimum free space' isn't set or to a low value this can/will cause problems because it don't know when it has to create or at least copy a file to the Array instead to the Cache because there is too less space available on the Cache.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Actually I really can't do something with the backup files.

To what value have you set 'Minimum free space' for your appdata directory in the Share section?

My Cache never get's full, if the Cache get's full and the 'Minimum free space' isn't set or to a low value this can/will cause problems because it don't know when it has to create or at least copy a file to the Array instead to the Cache because there is too less space available on the Cache.

It's set to 0. My cache is too small to be very useful to me at this point (pretty much outgrown it), so I'm going to work on just removing it for now until I can justify an upgrade.

15 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

It's set to 0.

This is actually very bad...

Here is the help text from Unraid itself.

grafik.thumb.png.b64935ce72b91f5b7fa775cddb1f68a8.png

If you leave this value at 0 and the Valheim container tries to create a backup and your Cache drive and has let's say only 5MB space left and the compressed Backup will be about 50MB like in your case the Backup will fail because there is no left space on the Cache drive.

I would at least set this value to 1GB...

EDIT: Here is a link to the Wiki: Click

There is a Minimum Free Space setting under Settings->Global Share settings and if the free space on the cache falls below this value Unraid will stop trying to write new files to the cache. Since when Unraid first creates a file it does not know the final size it is recommended that the value for this setting should be as large (or larger) as the biggest file you expect to write to the share as you want to stop Unraid selecting the cache for a file that will not fit in the space available. this will stop the write failing with an 'out of space' error when the free space gets exhausted.

22 minutes ago, ich777 said:

This is actually very bad...

Here is the help text from Unraid itself.

grafik.thumb.png.b64935ce72b91f5b7fa775cddb1f68a8.png

If you leave this value at 0 and the Valheim container tries to create a backup and your Cache drive and has let's say only 5MB space left and the compressed Backup will be about 50MB like in your case the Backup will fail because there is no left space on the Cache drive.

I would at least set this value to 1GB...

EDIT: Here is a link to the Wiki: Click

Oh no...so will this matter for the time being since I'm removing the cache drive?

4 minutes ago, kristian221 said:

Oh no...so will this matter for the time being since I'm removing the cache drive?

This is something for another thread I think, but if you have no cache drive in the system or at least remove it then you also have to change the template.

Or am I understanding this wrong?

First off thank you so much for putting this docker together. You made it extremely easy and my fellow vikings thank you. Would it be possible to add a container path designation for where backups are stored in the template? I would love to have the backups, and only the backups, actually go to a share that moves to the array and off the cache drive because I have gone through the pain of losing my cache drive twice in the past. I would have a weekly backup thanks to CA Backup but it would be great to know that my hourly backups are going to the array. 

1 hour ago, MavAce said:

Would it be possible to add a container path designation for where backups are stored in the template?

You can do that on your own by adding another path like this:

grafik.thumb.png.71ecbe1ed8bc4ac16ba6fd15cbbb7958.png

But do this exact steps before you add this path:

1. Stop the container
  2. Remove the existing Backup folder from the Valheim directory (I recommending moving it to your local computer)
  3. Then go in the template and add the path like above (with the directory to the Array share you want to have the backups in).
  4. Start the container

I am working on setting up a Valheim server and am having some issues connecting. I am using Steam's server connection as I understand the in-game server browser is a little buggy. I have my ports forwarded correctly and can see traffic from the docker out of my firewall on startup, and into my firewall on port 2457. This said, I am still unable to connect to the docker. The docker logs look good, the server starts, and backups are taken at the determined interval.

As far as I can tell, the docker is not responding to traffic on port 2457. The only reason I can think would cause this is that I am using a statically assigned IP address in a Custom network (BR0). Is this supported, or do I need to use a Bridge network? If it is supported, do I need to change any config files to make this work? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. 

I'm trying to set up assettocorsa but I can't get into the admin page of Assetto Corsa Server - I tried Docker/adminDocker and may other combos, but nothing works, and there's no field to set the password or login name.  I also can't find any logs anywhere to know what's happening.  Any hints?

Thanks in advance

Edit: found it in config.yml... admin/servermanager

Edited by BoxOfSnoo
Solved
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, adb045 said:

As far as I can tell, the docker is not responding to traffic on port 2457.

Have you forwarded all 3 Ports 2456, 2457, 2458 and checked that you forwarded it UDP and not TCP or TCP/UDP?

Have you changed anything in Template? Please also make sure that the Password is at least 5 characters long.

5 hours ago, adb045 said:

The only reason I can think would cause this is that I am using a statically assigned IP address in a Custom network (BR0).

Don't think that this will cause problems, have you tried to connect from your local network to the Valheim server?

5 hours ago, adb045 said:

Is this supported, or do I need to use a Bridge network? If it is supported, do I need to change any config files to make this work? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Yes this is of course supported because the docker then acts as a more or less real machine with a dedicated IP and you have to change nothing.

Regarding the Valheim docker,

Steam valheim did an update so I restarted the server docker to force download the update but now my server isn't visible to anyone, it shows as not responding in the steam server list.
They noted in their update notes that dedicated servers had to be set to -public 0 which mine already was in the docker set up.
They also noted that now they need to connect through the game whereas previously it's been through the steam server list, but neither the server list nor in game direct IP:Port connection is working.
Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, skwisgaarz said:

Steam valheim did an update so I restarted the server docker to force download the update but now my server isn't visible to anyone

Are you sure that you are not affected by the world destroy bug?

Please try to revert back to a Backup that the container does (Please read the second recommended post in this thread on the top).

7 minutes ago, skwisgaarz said:

They noted in their update notes that dedicated servers had to be set to -public 0 which mine already was in the docker set up.

Have you got a recource to his? Why should a public server be set to 0 instead of 1?

I am having the same issue as skwisgaarz this morning, woke up to find the server unresponsive and a changed connect prompt, hopped out to do an update and the server hasn't responded publicly since. It is not showing up on the in-game browser or to the Steam server browser, and attempts to connect to it by manual IP over LAN fail.

Edit:

Further information. I did the world restore even though I wasn't sure it was the problem (server not showing up, not server refusing to connect or erroring out), it made no difference, server is still not showing up, and directly connecting to LAN IP:2457 does not work.

One thing did change - directly connecting to just LAN IP without any port specified did work. I don't recall if this worked before or not, previously I always specified LAN IP:PORT+1 to connect to and it worked. It's worth noting they overhauled how clients connect to servers for this update per the patch notes. Not sure what kind of impact that would have, but there seems to be something different going on.

Edited by Vendy
Clarity, follow-up.

hey, so i have the same issue as skwisgaarz.

i'm able to run the map fine if i copy it out of the docker and run it locally. 

however, i cannot connect to the game hosted in the docker. 

ok, fixed it, 

from the patch notes:

* Added -public 1/0 flag to dedicated server again, Allows players to host local lan only servers

so changed it to 1 (public)  in the docker settings and it works again. 

seems like if set to 0 you can only join on local LAN. 

nope, thats a lie. it shows up in steam. but still cannot connect to the game 

Edited by omsha

Hi, I had the same problem. 

Changing the 1/0 to 1 made it show up in the server list and I could connect.

However it disconnected. But opening port 2456 (next to the only port I had open before 2457) fixed it for me.

Hope it helps others as well. 

• Like 1

My issue appears to be fixed. It was the public 0 flag that did it. They recommended turning that off for private dedicated servers, yet it would still show up in the game browser if you searched for it. This behavior seems to have been changed/fixed in the new update, I switched public to 1 and restarted the server and it came up and is connectable.

Yes the default should be 1, but before todays patch it didn’t work properly so when is set the docker up i had it at 0.

After todays patch they changed something

"Added -public 1/0 flag to dedicated server again, Allows players to host local lan only servers"

So now you have to set it to 1 because before it didn’t really mattered. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, skwisgaarz said:

I set it to 1 and it showed up bit still couldn't connect, same as someone above, have people had success actually connecting setting it to 1?

I tried now to connect to my server and it works just fine.

Can you give me the log, was it working before? Are you sure that you aren't affected by the world destroy bug?

Everything is working fine on this end after I set public to 1, though I did restore a backup as well so I might have solved two problems without properly testing them individually. I had public set to 0 originally per advice I looked up either on /r/valheim or official guidance, echoing what others have already said here, but it seems the game was ignoring that setting anyway as my server was showing up on the public server list until they fixed it with this patch.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I tried now to connect to my server and it works just fine.

Can you give me the log, was it working before? Are you sure that you aren't affected by the world destroy bug?

Just had a mate connect to test and he got in fine but I still can't for some reason, must be something with my PC sorry. Usually after i connect via steam server list and input the password the game will prompt me for the password again but now it just hovers on connecting and eventually says disconnected. Seems the docker is functioning fine though sorry. Logs attached just in case.

Capturezz.PNG