[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

5 hours ago, ich777 said:

This is really strange, can you try to setup a test instance for minecraft and see if it works? Don't forget to give it another name, set different ports and also the server directory has to be different.

I'm having a similar issue.
It loops through the bootup.

I tried removing all the files and let it download it all again, I tried a couple of different runtime, even though I don't exactly what they're for.
I've added some log in a text file.

I'm not sure how to proceed from this point.

minecraft_log.txt

1 hour ago, Nanobug said:

I'm not sure how to proceed from this point.

This is a completely different error, seems like the container can't access the file 'Oriath.jar'.

8 hours ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

A new server.properties isn't made when the container is restarted/turned back on. 

I tried it now on a completely new instance from Minecraft and it works just fine: minecraft.log

I'm too big of a noob when it comes to *nix to know how to even start troubleshooting this - my friends were complaining that they experienced some extreme chug at a particular time this past week in Valheim. The server does a ton of work (plex, extraction, copying, etc) but I don't know that anything was happening at that specific time (and I have no idea how to check). Is there a way to increase this docker's priority to prevent future chugs?

Edit: you know what, I'm almost certain it was the auto backup function. I've disabled it to see what happens (as I already have a cronjob running nightly).

Edited by nesede
10 minutes ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

Just to be clear, does that involve creating an entirely new Minecraft container, with different ports, directory, etc?

Just for testing, you don't have to delete the old one.

Just be sure to give it another name, serverpath and ports.

15 minutes ago, nesede said:

Edit: you know what, I'm almost certain it was the auto backup function. I've disabled it to see what happens (as I already have a cronjob running nightly).

I don't think so because it will only use one core.

Please keep in mind that Valheim is in early beta and there are some bugs in it for example if lots of people playing on it there can be much lag desynchronisations and so on...

These are all known bugs and the developers try to fix them ASAP.

• Thanks 1
Just now, ich777 said:

I don't think so because it will only use one core.

Please keep in mind that Valheim is in early beta and there are some bugs in it for example if lots of people playing on it there can be much lag desynchronisations and so on...

These are all known bugs and the developers try to fix them ASAP.

Will report back, my unraid is running a measly 3200G so perhaps even one core would make it stutter a bit if it's also doing nzbget actions, not sure. My server is very small in terms of population, 1-2 max players at a time but they have explored quite a bit so maybe that matters too. Backups are about 50MB now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

This is a completely different error, seems like the container can't access the file 'Oriath.jar'.

I tried it now on a completely new instance from Minecraft and it works just fine: minecraft.log

I can't tell you what went wrong. I removed all the files in the appdata folder, let it set it up, renamed the server.jar to Oriath.jar and it works now.

I did the same thing before I posted here.

I can't seem to figure out how to install the mods/plugins for it. 
Do you know how?

Edited by Nanobug
  • Like 1
Just now, Nanobug said:

I can't seem to figure out how to install the mods/plugins for it. 

Normally the server executable creates the necessary folders for it in the main directory, for example in the main directory for Spigot/Bukkit is a folder named 'plugins':

grafik.png.defac396317ae7d1da3d2f51ea103cb7.png

2 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

Oriath.jar

I even don't know what that is... :D

A quick google search brought me to a massive forum... :/

10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Normally the server executable creates the necessary folders for it in the main directory, for example in the main directory for Spigot/Bukkit is a folder named 'plugins':

grafik.png.defac396317ae7d1da3d2f51ea103cb7.png

I even don't know what that is... :D

A quick google search brought me to a massive forum... :/

They just wanted the world to be called Oriath.

It's a modpack called Enigmatica 6.
The link is here:
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/enigmatica6

The instructions says to run the installation script, I'm just not sure that works in a docker like that.
Can you help?

48 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Just for testing, you don't have to delete the old one.

Just be sure to give it another name, serverpath and ports.

Alright, so after making a new container with its own port and name (and after fiddling with the EULA and .jar file so they get detected), the new server seems to work. Feel free to read the logs for yourself:

---Checking if UID: 99 matches user---
usermod: no changes
---Checking if GID: 100 matches user---
---Setting umask to 000---
---Checking for optional scripts---
---No optional script found, continuing---
---Starting...---
---Checking for 'runtime' folder---
---'runtime' folder found---
---Checking if Runtime is installed---
---Runtime found---
---Checking for Minecraft Server executable ---
---Minecraft v1.16.5 is Up-To-Date!---
---Preparing Server---
---Checking for 'server.properties'---
---'server.properties' found...
---Checking for old logs---
---Starting Server---
---Waiting for logs, please stand by...---
[13:52:16] [Worker-Main-10/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 83%
[13:52:16] [Worker-Main-13/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 83%
[13:52:17] [Worker-Main-10/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 83%
[13:52:17] [Worker-Main-13/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 83%
[13:52:18] [Worker-Main-11/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 84%
[13:52:18] [Worker-Main-10/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 88%
[13:52:19] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 93%
[13:52:19] [Worker-Main-10/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 97%
[13:52:19] [Server thread/INFO]: Time elapsed: 9702 ms
[13:52:19] [Server thread/INFO]: Done (9.781s)! For help, type "help"

I can't actually join the Minecraft server and confirm this per se, since the private IP of my server is already being used for the original, nonfuctional container, but the actual logs indicate that the test container works.

At this point, what should be the course of action? Should I change the world file in the test container to the world file in the original container, and go from there? Or should I do something else?

33 minutes ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

Alright, so after making a new container with its own port and name (and after fiddling with the EULA and .jar file so they get detected), the new server seems to work. Feel free to read the logs for yourself:

---Checking if UID: 99 matches user---
---Checking if GID: 100 matches user---
---Setting umask to 000---
---Checking for optional scripts---
---No optional script found, continuing---
---Starting...---
---Checking for 'runtime' folder---
---'runtime' folder found---
---Checking if Runtime is installed---
---Runtime found---
---Checking for Minecraft Server executable ---
---Minecraft v1.16.5 is Up-To-Date!---
---Preparing Server---
---Checking for 'server.properties'---
---'server.properties' found...
---Checking for old logs---
---Starting Server---
---Waiting for logs, please stand by...---
[13:52:16] [Worker-Main-10/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 83%
[13:52:16] [Worker-Main-13/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 83%
[13:52:17] [Worker-Main-10/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 83%
[13:52:17] [Worker-Main-13/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 83%
[13:52:18] [Worker-Main-11/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 84%
[13:52:18] [Worker-Main-10/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 88%
[13:52:19] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 93%
[13:52:19] [Worker-Main-10/INFO]: Preparing spawn area: 97%
[13:52:19] [Server thread/INFO]: Time elapsed: 9702 ms
[13:52:19] [Server thread/INFO]: Done (9.781s)! For help, type "help"

I can't actually join the Minecraft server and confirm this per se, since the private IP of my server is already being used for the original, nonfuctional container, but the actual logs indicate that the test container works.

At this point, what should be the course of action? Should I change the world file in the test container to the world file in the original container, and go from there? Or should I do something else?

Can you join it with the LAN IP?

1 hour ago, Nanobug said:

Can you join it with the LAN IP?

@ich777

I tried accessing it with both the public IP and private IP only available to device on my LAN, to no avail.

But at this point, there's another issue. I edited the server.properties of the test container to give it access to the different port, and now the test container is having the identical issue.

So it seems like editing server.properties in any way makes the container unable to detect it. That also makes the possible solution of migrating the world file to a new container unfeasible, since the moment I decide to change any server settings, the container won't work.

EDIT: I would also like to add that the original problem cropped up after I had backed up the dockers on the server, which was itself after updating the OS to 6.9.1, along with updating all the dockers. Could the updated version of the Minecraft docker be causing an issue?

Edited by AlphaOmegaKappa
3 hours ago, nesede said:

Hah really? I am only looking into this because my players told me it's a new thing haha. Must be some new update to the game then that borked something.

There you go: Click

3 hours ago, Nanobug said:

It's a modpack called Enigmatica 6.

I usually don't support mods for the games itself since this would easily eat up all me spare time... :D

3 hours ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

From what I see the container should just work fine, I think you can't join because you only changed the host port and not the container port or am I wrong?

3 hours ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

At this point, what should be the course of action?

Try the following:

1. Stop the first non working container
  2. Save the world folder from your old server to your desktop (including nether,...)
  3. Delete the whole container from the first non working container from your appdata directory
  4. Start the non working container and let it create the world and everything
  5. Restart it once and it should work fine
  6. Then stop the container and copy over the world folder(s) that you saved in the 2nd step to the minecraft directory
  7. Edit the server.properties so that it matches the world name
  8. Start the container and (hopefully) it will load the world from step 2

1 hour ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

But at this point, there's another issue. I edited the server.properties of the test container to give it access to the different port, and now the test container is having the identical issue.

You are using a MAC I think? Which editor do you use to edit the files (some mess up the format, note that this is not visible to the user).

1 hour ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

Could the updated version of the Minecraft docker be causing an issue?

No, because nothing changed...

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, ich777 said:

You are using a MAC I think? Which editor do you use to edit the files (some mess up the format, note that this is not visible to the user).

TextEdit on Mac, which is the default.

23 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Try the following:

1. Stop the first non working container
  2. Save the world folder from your old server to your desktop (including nether,...)
  3. Delete the whole container from the first non working container from your appdata directory
  4. Start the non working container and let it create the world and everything
  5. Restart it once and it should work fine
  6. Then stop the container and copy over the world folder(s) that you saved in the 2nd step to the minecraft directory
  7. Edit the server.properties so that it matches the world name
  8. Start the container and (hopefully) it will load the world from step 2

I'm trying that now. Just to be safe, I'm downloading the entire contents of the first container (so I don't have to rewrite ops privileges, etc.), but I'll only be inserting the actual world, per your recommendation.

1 minute ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

TextEdit on Mac, which is the default.

This is from octoprint.org:

grafik.png.c384cac958a65955f2825a738862af22.png

1 minute ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

I'm trying that now. Just to be safe, I'm downloading the entire contents of the first container (so I don't have to rewrite ops privileges, etc.), but I'll only be inserting the actual world, per your recommendation.

For now yes, you don't have to copy over the 'runtime' folder.

2 hours ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

@ich777 A brief question: when I delete the nonfunctional container, should I also delete the image?

If you click on Yes but it will throw an error that it can't delete the image bacause it's already in use by another container if you got a second instance of the comtainer installed.

But in your case I would click on no.

• Thanks 1

@ich777 An update: I followed your instructions as described, and it worked! The server can be accessed and played on. I even managed to successfully edit server.properties using Atom. The only issue is that the player inventories seem to have been rolled back to when I first launched the server about three months ago. I'm addressing that now.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

Ah, no worries :)
I'll look into spinning up a VM for it then. Thank you anyway :)

I'm not completely sure how that works for that "mod" but it should be possible in the container, but as said, haven't got much time these days... :P

3 minutes ago, AlphaOmegaKappa said:

The only issue is that the player inventories seem to have been rolled back to when I first launched the server about three months ago. I'm addressing that now.

The inventory should be somewhere in the worlds folder I think...

But glad to hear that it works again.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

The inventory should be somewhere in the worlds folder I think...

But glad to hear that it works again.

After a series of file movements that I doubt did anything, the inventories have been recovered. The server is now exactly where it was the moment before it went down.

Thank you immensely for your help. You saved my bacon. xD

• Like 1