[Support] ich777 - Gameserver Dockers

Hi All.

First of thank you for this great docker.. I need a little help with my Valheim server. 

I installed the docker with the base config and only changed the setting for making the server Public (but with a password)

While the server is up and running and I can connect to it via my internal IP address I don't seem to be able to resolve the server using my WAN ip + port, I run PFsense as my router and have set-up port forwarding for the 3 ports in range and made sure it set as UDP only.

Any advice on what might be wrong?

Also I have been reading about Valheim + & BepInEx, i see the options in the docker template but am I being silly thinking all I need to do is set those to true? or do I have to download additional files from the github pages and install them on my server?

Thanks in advance

1 minute ago, enigma27 said:

Hi All.

First of thank you for this great docker.. I need a little help with my Valheim server. 

I installed the docker with the base config and only changed the setting for making the server Public (but with a password)

While the server is up and running and I can connect to it via my internal IP address I don't seem to be able to resolve the server using my WAN ip + port, I run PFsense as my router and have set-up port forwarding for the 3 ports in range and made sure it set as UDP only.

Any advice on what might be wrong?

Also I have been reading about Valheim + & BepInEx, i see the options in the docker template but am I being silly thinking all I need to do is set those to true? or do I have to download additional files from the github pages and install them on my server?

Thanks in advance

Did you wait 15-30 minutes?
Sometimes it takes time for it to update on the community servers.

Also, try connecting through your WAN IP, even though it's dynamic, it should use the same one for some time, at least enough for you to test it through the WAN IP.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, enigma27 said:

There should be nothing to change since it's already configured for public connections and with a default password.

Also I have been reading about Valheim + & BepInEx, i see the options in the docker template but am I being silly thinking all I need to do is set those to true?

Only set it to 'true' and the container will download the files needed for BepInEx, no additional files needed.

Please read the second recommended post on the top of this thread and try it through the Steam Server Browser.

Also please make sure that you turned on NAT reflection in pfSense.

Like @Nanobug said it takes sometimes a little bit to show up in the in game server list.

1 minute ago, Nanobug said:

Did you wait 15-30 minutes?
Sometimes it takes time for it to update on the community servers.

Also, try connecting through your WAN IP, even though it's dynamic, it should use the same one for some time, at least enough for you to test it through the WAN IP.

Thanks.

Server has been up all night and still cant ping it on the steam server browser like I can with my internal IP

I just loaded up the game and tried to connect with my WANIP+ 2456,2457,2458 and it wouldn't let me connect but internal IP+port still works fine.

The port forward i set-up on the router is pretty basic and just forwards each port from WAN to the ip of my unraid server

Also, if you're using a subdomain to connect to it with, it takes 1-24 hours for the DNS to update. So it might not find anything at first.
Usually it works within a couple of hours.

4 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Only set it to 'true' and the container will download the files needed for BepInEx, no additional files needed.

BepInEx is Valheim Plus?

Thanks.

Server has been up all night and still cant ping it on the steam server browser like I can with my internal IP

I just loaded up the game and tried to connect with my WANIP+ 2456,2457,2458 and it wouldn't let me connect but internal IP+port still works fine.

The port forward i set-up on the router is pretty basic and just forwards each port from WAN to the ip of my unraid server

That's odd.

I'd just go over my settings again, maybe start over with the game server if that' doesn't work.
I usually get it working the first time, then delete it at do it again, just to make sure I got it right.

26 minutes ago, enigma27 said:

Can you try it also from an external source? Eventually NAT reflection or something isn't working from your internal network.

26 minutes ago, enigma27 said:

Are you also sure that your ISP doesn't block certain ports?

26 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

BepInEx is Valheim Plus?

Yes/No, Valheim Plus is a "Modpack" that uses BepInEx as a modloader.

BepInEx is a tool that allows you to load other mods too (integrated it because ValheimPlus often does interfere with other mods).

14 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

That's odd.

I'd just go over my settings again, maybe start over with the game server if that' doesn't work.
I usually get it working the first time, then delete it at do it again, just to make sure I got it right.

Thanks. I had the same idea so thought I would start a fresh

I pulled down the container again.. only things I have changed are Server Name, world name and the default password.

I also set Valheim plus to true

Started the container and shows no error in the logs, I was careful and changed the server name from the name I used last night and straight away with my internal IP address I can see the server with the new name up and running.

Tried with WANIP and again cant connect and shows no server running using either of the 3 ports.

is port forwarding on my router required for both incoming connections and being able to get the sever to show up in the server browser?

8 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Can you try it also from an external source? Eventually NAT reflection or something isn't working from your internal network.

Are you also sure that your ISP doesn't block certain ports?

Yes/No, Valheim Plus is a "Modpack" that uses BepInEx as a modloader.

BepInEx is a tool that allows you to load other mods too (integrated it because ValheimPlus often does interfere with other mods).

as far as I know my ISP does not block ports, I have a 1gig fibre connection where the IP vary rarely changes but i moitor the IP in PFsesne

I also tried on my sons PC which is routed through a different ISP (I have two lines into my house) and he cant ping the external ip either

Here is my port forward settings in case I have done something silly

I created a rule for each port and the IP in the screenshot is the IP of my unraid server

Capture.PNG

Edited by enigma27
4 minutes ago, enigma27 said:

is port forwarding on my router required for both incoming connections and being able to get the sever to show up in the server browser?

I don't know about PFsense, usually outgoing connections are allowed by default, and you need to allow incoming connections through forwarding.

I don't know about PFsense, usually outgoing connections are allowed by default, and you need to allow incoming connections through forwarding.

Thanks thats what I thought.

I have port forwarding set-up for Plex and that has no issues with people remote connecting to my server

2 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

I think I set mine for both UDP and TCP in the protocol (I'm using Ubiquiti though).
According to this, you need both TCP and UDP.

that link you posted seems to show a lot more ports than just the 3 standard ones in the docker template.

which ports did you forward if you dont mind me asking

According to this, you need both TCP and UDP.

This is wrong and an automatically created site.

Actually it would do nothing if you forward TCP because the container only has the forwardings for UDP in it.

PLEASE DON'T OPEN PORTS THAT YOU DON'T NEED/USE SINCE THIS IS A SECURITY RISK!

I have port forwarding set-up for Plex and that has no issues with people remote connecting to my server

Plex works a little different.

2 minutes ago, enigma27 said:

hat link you posted seems to show a lot more ports than just the 3 standard ones in the docker template.

Don't open those ports!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS A COMPLETE SECURITY RISK!!!!!!

You can connect to your local IP or am I wrong?

If you can't connect to your external IP something is wrong with the port forwarding.

Have you already tried to connect from an external source?

1 minute ago, ich777 said:

You can connect to your local IP or am I wrong?

If you can't connect to your external IP something is wrong with the port forwarding.

Have you already tried to connect from an external source?

Yes I can connect using local IP

No I can connect using my external IP

Yes i tried connecting using a PC that is connected to a different ISP and it cannot see the sever using the external IP

Does the screenshot i posted with the port forward settings look correct?

which ports did you forward if you dont mind me asking

2456-2457, or whatever ports I've assigned them too. I run a couple of Valheim servers, so I'm the 2060's port range as well.

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

PLEASE DON'T OPEN PORTS THAT YOU DON'T NEED/USE SINCE THIS IS A SECURITY RISK!

Correct.

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Still correct.

• Like 1

Yes I can connect using local IP

No I can connect using my external IP

Yes i tried connecting using a PC that is connected to a different ISP and it cannot see the sever using the external IP

Does the screenshot i posted with the port forward settings look correct?

I don't use pfSense anymore but from what I remember you also can set a port range at "Destination Port" at "From" type in '2456' and at "To" '2458' this will open all three ports at once.

And "Redirect target port" has to be the frist port of the "Destination Port" and pfSense will automatically forward the other ports in the range.

I'm not 100% sure if NAT reflection is correctly setup like in your screenshot.

ok im stumped.

tried mucking around with the port forwarding and cant get it to work.

I have multiple port forwards on this router and only this one seems to not work.

Side not I set Valheim plus to true and can see files in the appdata folder. tried changing some of the options in the valheimplus.cfg file and restarted the server but none of the options seem to have taken... is there something that needs to be done activate it on the server?

15 minutes ago, enigma27 said:

I have multiple port forwards on this router and only this one seems to not work.

If you can connect through your local IP then it's a problem with the forwarding itself.

Have you made sure that your ISP doesn't block UDP port forwarding or have you other UDP port forwarding that are currently working?

With which IP:PORT do you try to connect to the server in the steam server browser?

Side not I set Valheim plus to true and can see files in the appdata folder.

A log output would be helpfull if the container actually downloaded the files, if the download fails the container stops and tells you in the log to disable it and restart it without the true option.

tried changing some of the options in the valheimplus.cfg file and restarted the server but none of the options seem to have taken...

You also have to have the same configurations on the client as on the host if you use Valheim Plus.

is there something that needs to be done activate it on the server?

No, if you set ValheimPlus or BepInEx to true all the necessary things are done by the container and I can confirm that they are working. ;)

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

If you can connect through your local IP then it's a problem with the forwarding itself.

Have you made sure that your ISP doesn't block UDP port forwarding or have you other UDP port forwarding that are currently working?

With which IP:PORT do you try to connect to the server in the steam server browser?

A log output would be helpfull if the container actually downloaded the files, if the download fails the container stops and tells you in the log to disable it and restart it without the true option.

You also have to have the same configurations on the client as on the host if you use Valheim Plus.

No, if you set ValheimPlus or BepInEx to true all the necessary things are done by the container and I can confirm that they are working. ;)

Thanks.

I tried to connect via both internal and external ip's and only internal works

Sorry didn't realise client had to have same files for the Valheim plus.