Random hard crashes.

spraet

Hey all

My Unraid server has been randomly crashing a few times a day recently. I pretty much just have it for a Plex server which I host for me and my friends. 3 or 4 days ago there was a power outage at my house and after that it started to become more frequent but it had happened a few times before that. 

I looked at the logs after I put the server into troubleshooting mode but I didn't seem to find anything wrong there but I'm not an advanced user so thought I'd seek some help. The server just hard crashes out of nowhere. I thought that it was due to the CPU being pinned or something because all of my friends we're watching but that's not the case. 

I don't think it's software related, I posted on reddit and a few people helped me out but with looking at the logs but I don't know how dependable that is. I thought it was either the power supply or the RAM that was failing on me. I did a memtest for about 6 hours and saw no errors. I read that you should at least have it running for 24 but didn't have the time at that moment. 

When the server crashed all the logs say is that the server is switching to runlevel: 0 and then it crashes. 

Does anyone know what to do or can help me figure it out? All help is greatly appreciated :)

tower-diagnostics-20190417-1845 (1).zip

FCPsyslog_tail.txt

Check to make sure that all of the fans are running---  particularly, the CPU fan.  Clean out the case, the cooling fins, and the air intakes.  (All modern MB's will shutdown the system if the CPU overheats!)  If all looks good there, I would suspect that Power Supply has issues.   Easiest way to test is to replace it.  You may have one that you could use, or borrow one from a friend, or purchase one from a vender with a liberal return policy. 

So I cleaned out the case and cleaned the the thermal paste off the CPU and cooling fan. Tried to clean everything as good as I could. Screwed everything back and system is running now. Not going to start my plex server quite yet though. Gonna let the system run for about 24 hours and then start the services back up. 

If the crashed continue it simply has to be the power supply and I found the same power supply for about 15 bucks on ebay so will probably just replace it if it keeps happening. Thanks so much for the advice :)

Archived