NVENC Support?

Hey everyone

Does Unraid support NVENC yet (hardware transcoding with NVIDIA GPUs)?

My current setup is:

AMD Ryzen 2700x

NVIDIA Quadro P2000

I'm wanting to run Plex and associated dockers containers at the Unraid level, and also run a Windows VM for work etc. 

What I want to know is can I use the P2000 to do hardware transcoding with Plex and run my Windows VM simultaneously? Or do I need an additional GPU to run Windows. 

Thanks

Edited by antigravity
Just now, BRiT said:

Thats why there are feature requests to allow some VMs to always run, so one VM could have its video output going and functioning as a main desktop even while the unraid array is stopped for maintenance being done. However that becomes complicated really fast.

It is worth pointing out that with current Unraid if the array is stopped then there are no VMs running so one of the GPUs might be free to run the Unraid GUI?

You could be running the GUI from a browser running on a phone or tablet in such a case as an (possibly more convenient) alternative.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

Yes you can!   You can run the Unraid GUI from a browser running in a VM.

But how do I load the VM first without a dedicated GPU?

If I have one GPU running the GUI, it won't let me load a VM using the same GPU. 

So whilst I could view the GUI via a browser in the VM running on the same machine, I could never get to that point in the first place?

44 minutes ago, antigravity said:

If I have one GPU running the GUI, it won't let me load a VM using the same GPU. 

Why not?

However as has been said you always have the chance of running the GUI via a phone or tablet (or by using one of the iOS or Android apps that can manage Unraid).

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Why not?

The Nvidia mod won't allow you to use one GPU for multiple processes. 

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

However as has been said you always have the chance of running the GUI via a phone or tablet (or by using one of the iOS or Android apps that can manage Unraid).

Interesting. I could access the GUI from a mobile device, activate the VM that way?

Would still need two GPU's though - one for Plex Transcoding and one for the VM