Upgrade parity drive question

Patb

I'm just starting with Unraid and am wondering if the following process can be followed to upgrade the parity drive (i.e. swap the parity disk with a larger disk).?

Based on the searches I've done I see that the basic steps are to power down, remove parity disk, install new disk and power back up and let parity rebuild. 

The question I have is can I make use of the second parity to maintain a safe(r) state? 

i.e.: power down, install new disk and set it as parity 2 and let it rebuild. Once done power down and remove parity 1 and reassign that to grow the array.

Essentially my question comes down to: once I go to 2 parity disks can I go back to single parity?

Obviously this would only be in a single parity environment.

Thanks

i have a similar question to this i am trying to upgrade my parity drive from 8 tb to 10 tb and i do the steps i stop the array unassign the the 10 and assign the 10tb the parity rebuilds and when i try to add a 10 tb to the raid it says i cant remove a drive and also add one

and also everytime i stop the array or reboot the parity needs to be rebuilt

8 hours ago, zonik said:

the raid it says i cant remove a drive and also add one

That would suggest you have another invalid/emulated disk besides parity, or you're trying to add a new disk a the same time, the error can be unhelpful and not describe the correct issue, please post the diagnostics: Tools -> Diagnostics

8 minutes ago, zonik said:

samwise-diagnostics-20190424-0826.zip 147.52 kB · 0 downloads

this is hopefully helpful because i cant really understand it

There's a problem with the flash drive, filesystem is read-only:

Apr 23 19:37:01 Samwise emhttpd: error: put_disk_settings, 3431: Read-only file system (30): fopen: /boot/config/disk.cfg

Check filesystem of the flash drive on another PC/laptop.

10 minutes ago, zonik said:

i dont remember changing it to read only

You wouldn't, either there's filesystem corruption or a problem with the flash drive itself.

10 minutes ago, zonik said:

how would i cahnge it back to writeable

12 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Check filesystem of the flash drive on another PC/laptop

If that doesn't fix it it's likely a failing flash drive, try re-formatting it.

I just upgraded my parity drive from 6tb to 10tb unsing a different path.

I added the 10tb drive to the array, assigned it to parity 2 and let parity build on the new drive.

I then stopped the array and took the old 6tb drive and re-assigned it as a data drive.

After restarting the array I now have no Parity 1 but have a Parity 2.

I then stopped the array and tried to assign the drive in Parity 2 to Parity 1 but got an "Invalid Device Assignment" message.

What did I do wrong?  This is the first time that I have upgraded storage and added an additional drive to my array so this is unfamiliar territory for me.  

Starting to think I should have removed the 6tb drive, added the 10tb drive as parity 1 and started the parity build.

Edited by a12vman

Parity1 uses a different algorithm to parity2 so moving the drive will involve rebuilding parity.   You could always leave the drive assigned as parity2 and leave parity1 Unassigned - Unraid will not say you cannot do this.

if you want to move the drive to parity1  then the procedure is:

• stop the array
  • unassign parity2
  • startbthe Array with no parity assigned (this is required to make Unraid ‘forget’ that the drive is currently assigned as pairty2).
  • stop the array
  • assign the drive as parity1
  • start the array to build the new parity in the parity1 Slot.