random file corruption

53 minutes ago, Benson said:

Seems network issue

Wire <-> Pfsense <-> Wireless , does those are bridge or route ?

If your AP have 2 LAN port, could you try after change as below

wire <-> (LAN) AP (LAN) <-> Unraid

The PFSense is connected to a switch and then Unraid is connected to the switch.

The AP only has 1 port which is connected to PFSense. 

If it a network issue on wireless side then if I switch second PC to wireless and then try md5 check again it will prove if its network issue with wireless.

1 hour ago, nekromantik said:

I disabled IPV6 on my router and re tested as a hunch and now first PC to Unraid MD5 matches!

thanks for help all

hopefully issue is fixed

Very interesting!  Most keep this in the back of my mind.  Particularly, when there are messages in the syslog complaining about IPV6 issues.  I know that my IPS provider (Spectrum) is currently providing me with an IPV4 address to my Cable Modem.  And I have both of my Unraid server set to IPV4 only (on the Setting >>  Network  tab). 

@nekromantik, what type of address is your IPS provider delivering to your Modem-- IPV4 or IPV6?  If they are only providing you with an IPV4 address, why did you even turn IPV6 in Unraid?  If you are not aware it , you also have both IPV4 and IPV6 turned on in Unraid.  See    Settings   >>>   Network settings: 'Network protocol:'   Have you any other devices on your LAN that require IPV6 addresses?  You manually assigned an IPV4 address (192.168.1.74) to your server.  (I am not being critical of you but, rather, I am trying to understand how your setup came to be the way it was.  I have no doubt we are going to see this issue again and I would like to gain a better understanding of the entire situation as I am sure that must be (and, definitely,  will be in the future) situations where IPV6 addresses will absolutely be required!)

Otherwise, if you had not turned on IPV6 support in Unraid, you might never have had the problem.  I have a sneaking suspicion that turn IPV6 support off on the router is not a good idea.   One of these days, your IPS may require its use.   I understand that all of the current IPV4 addresses will map into IPV6 address space.  

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

Very interesting!  Most keep this in the back of my mind.  Particularly, when there are messages in the syslog complaining about IPV6 issues.  I know that my IPS provider (Spectrum) is currently providing me with an IPV4 address to my Cable Modem.  And I have both of my Unraid server set to IPV4 only (on the Setting >>  Network  tab). 

@nekromantik, what type of address is your IPS provider delivering to your Modem-- IPV4 or IPV6?  If they are only providing you with an IPV4 address, why did you even turn IPV6 in Unraid?  If you are not aware it , you also have both IPV4 and IPV6 turned on in Unraid.  See    Settings   >>>   Network settings: 'Network protocol:'   Have you any other devices on your LAN that require IPV6 addresses?  You manually assigned an IPV4 address (192.168.1.74) to your server.  (I am not being critical of you but, rather, I am trying to understand how your setup came to be the way it was.  I have no doubt we are going to see this issue again and I would like to gain a better understanding of the entire situation as I am sure that must be (and, definitely,  will be in the future) situations where IPV6 addresses will absolutely be required!)

Otherwise, if you had not turned on IPV6 support in Unraid, you might never have had the problem.  I have a sneaking suspicion that turn IPV6 support off on the router is not a good idea.   One of these days, your IPS may require its use.   I understand that all of the current IPV4 addresses will map into IPV6 address space.  

My ISP provides both IPV4 and IPV6. I turned on IPV6 in Unraid to test it out. I dont really have a need for it at the moment. We are very far away from it becoming mainstream. As the issue only happened when using my Windows PC it seems that its not a Unriad issue. My Windows PC was assigned a IPV6 and IPV4 address so did not want to mess with registry to turn it off on the PC.

• 10 months later...
On 4/23/2019 at 7:41 AM, nekromantik said:

hi all

Over the last few days I have started to see movie files that are copied to my unraid share via SMB in Windows become corrupt.

By this I mean during playback I get skipping and pixelation. 

In order to rule out the files I playback the local copy on my PC and it plays fine but then I go to the same file via SMB on unraid and it has skipping and pixelation. 

Any ideas?

I have the same issue. Did you manage to fix this problem?

19 hours ago, trurl said:

Did you try anything suggested after the post you quoted? 

First thing I did was remove the Ethernet cable from my server and plugged my laptop into it, then transferred  a video file from my main PC over my network. (This is the same way I usually transfer video files to my server.)  Unfortunately  the video transfer to my  laptop had  corruption as well, cause of this i think it's my router. I noticed the OP had disabled  IPV6 in his router to try rectify problem, wanted to see if this had fixed the issue.

Edited by Clint
14 hours ago, allanp81 said:

I had this issue before and it turned out to be memory related, even though the memory would always pass a memory test successfully.

Haven't had a chance to test my servers hardware yet, at this stage I think it could be my router.