Help with VLAN for Docker and VM

Hey all!

So I followed SpaceInvader's video on how to setup a Ubuntu server VM running a VPN (PIA in my case) and I'd like to be able to route traffic from Dockers through the VM. I was able to get a VLAN setup but I'm stuck and have a few questions:

I think I'm supposed to set the Gateway of the VLAN to the IP address of the VM, is that correct? Doesn't the VLAN need to be with a different 3rd number on my network? So normally it's X.X.34.X and the VLAN is for X.X.50.X.  So is the gateway supposed to be X.X.50.1 or X.X.34.VMip?

Do I need to add or change the network bridge in the VM? Will I have the orignal br0 AND br0.50 or do I need to swap out the original brige for the VLAN bridge.

I tried adding it so there was two thinking, Docker to VM and then VM to internet routes but that didn't seem to work, unless I'm missing adding a route somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Do I need to have settings on my router too? I thought setting it up via unRAID this way it did all the routing through unRAID and it doesn't require specific hardware? Something still isn't working. Here's some screenshots of the setup.

But the tunnel doesn't start up in the VM and I can't ping anything.

Route info

unraidiproutes.png

VLAN info

VLAN.PNG

VM bridge

VM.PNG

IP config in VM

VMsettings.PNG

Edited by Asrosema