Chrome OS

vooo

I would really love to hear from anyone who has successfully gotten ChromeOS to work! I am trying to get Fydeos to work but cant get past the boot screen. I guess I am making a mistake of some kind but do not have a lot of techinical knowledge on the matter. If you have had success please let me know!

• 5 weeks later...

I doubt you'll hear much about actual ChromeOS.  As far as I know Google doesn't provide any self-install type options (such as an ISO).

That being said, ChromeOS is Google's customized version of the open source ChromiumOS (just like the Chrome browser is Google's customized version of the the Chromium browser).

And just like how there are other customized versions of the Chromium browser (such as Brave, among others) there are other customized versions of ChromiumOS.  This website has a nice comparison of the most common ones:
https://www.electromaker.io/blog/article/flint-os-vs-chromium-os-vs-cloudready-which-chrome-os-is-best

To summarize it - as of Jan. 2019:
- ChromiumOS - 'the original', open source, not necessarily the most polished or feature packed, 

- FydeOS (formerly FlintOS) - many variants (such as for RaspberryPi), supports Android apps, etc.

- CloudReady (also formerly FlintOS) - more enterprise focused, supports CloudReady Linux apps, etc.

So you might want to do some searching for ChromiumOS, FydeOS, or CloudReady and consider trying one or more of those as VMs on your Unraid box.  If you, come on back and share your own experiences and thoughts!  🙂

Thanks for the link @sharpfork.  I had read through that as well and decided it sounded like a lot more work than it probably needed to be - at least here 2 years later.  🙂

What I've tried so far is:
- download the CloudReady image from https://www.neverware.com/freedownload
- unzip the cloudready-free-74.4.57-32-bit.bin (or cloudready-free-74.4.58-64-bit.bin) file into my ISOs folder

- Create a VM with:
 + Logical CPUs: 2

+ Initial & Max Memoru: 2G [min. spec. for CloudReady]
 + Machine: Q35-2.1

+ BIOS: OVMF
 + USB Controller: 3.0 (qemu XHCI) [boots faster than USB 2]

+ OS Install ISO: path to cloudready-free-74.4.58-64-bit.bin
 + OS Install CDRom Bus: USB

+ Primary vDisk Location: Auto [created as 16G drive - again min. spec. for CloudReady]

+ Primary vDisk Bus: SATA

+ Graphics Card: VNC

+ VNC Video Driver: Cirrus [If you left the default of QXL (best) I didn't see any of the boot screens mentioned below]

+ VNC Password: <blank>

+ VNC Keyboard: English-United States (en-us)

+ Sound Card: None

+ Network MAC: <whatever defaulted>

+ Network Bridget: br0

+ USB Devices <none>

+ Other PIC Devices: <none>

With those settings, I am able boot the VM and see:

- the "TianoCore" logo screen for about 3 seconds

- a blank screen for about 8 seconds

- the CloudReady boot logo for about 1 second

- the animated "Your system is repairing itself. Please wait." page for about 3 seconds

- the whole process start over

Eventually I have to force-stop the VM.

Per the Neverware support pages, this sort of boot loop is usually indicative of unsupported hardware of some sort so I've decided there may be something about the specific hardware my Unraid is running on that CloudReady doesn't like.

I might be wrong, but I haven't made time to play around with anything else (like the 27 partition process in the link you provided).

Edited by JonMikelV
52 minutes ago, ICDeadPpl said:

I don't know if this helps, but I'm linking to an article about running Chrome OS from a USB drive.
https://www.fossmint.com/run-google-chromium-os-from-usb/
The interesting part is a link to Chromium OS builds:
https://chromium.arnoldthebat.co.uk/
Maybe those images will work better?

I took a look out of curiosity, but those images are nearly two years old, so I decided I wasn't that curious.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

I've setup FydeOS on Unraid, it's working well.

The key to make it boot maybe a graphic card attached to the VM.

I got this clue while trying it on a real pc and see these boot options

'Image A with intel grapchics card'

'Image A with non-intel graphics card'

Here is my setup.
BIOS: SeaBios

Machine: I440fx-3.1

Storage1 : FydeOS_PC_v8.1-stable.img , MODE: USB

Storage2: qcow 128G SATA 

graphics: intel graphcis passthrough

Network: PCIe ethernet passthrough

Other: PCIe USB hub passthrough

Start, no chance to choose anything, will see bios init and saying 'Kernel is booting'

May wait 30s for graphic logo show up

Then everything is working

You may try the system now, and install the system to disk.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update for those of you who are still trying to install ChromeOS/PrimeOS. After a lot of trial and error, I was able to successfully install PrimeOS on Unraid 6.8.3.

I used the ChromeOS template, using Machine type Q35-4.2, OVMF Bios and SATA for all storage. Also, the only version I was able to install was PrimeOS Classic v0.4.5. NOTE: I wasn't able to get the the Mainline and Standard ISOs to work, only the Classic version.

Also,  to install PrimeOS, I had to use the Advanced->AutoUpdate option in Grub once the VM boots from the ISO.

Once you install PrimeOS, in order to get PrimeOS to use Ethernet instead of Wifi, go to Settings->PrimeOS Settings and enable "Show connection type WiFi to apps"

Enjoy!

• Like 2
On 4/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, Lenir Santiago said:

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update for those of you who are still trying to install ChromeOS/PrimeOS. After a lot of trial and error, I was able to successfully install PrimeOS on Unraid 6.8.3.

I used the ChromeOS template, using Machine type Q35-4.2, OVMF Bios and SATA for all storage. Also, the only version I was able to install was PrimeOS Classic v0.4.5. NOTE: I wasn't able to get the the Mainline and Standard ISOs to work, only the Classic version.

Also,  to install PrimeOS, I had to use the Advanced->AutoUpdate option in Grub once the VM boots from the ISO.

Once you install PrimeOS, in order to get PrimeOS to use Ethernet instead of Wifi, go to Settings->PrimeOS Settings and enable "Show connection type WiFi to apps"

Enjoy!

I did this, but everytime I restart the VM, it's like I've never ran it.  I have to reregister and download all of my apps again.  Do you experience this as well?

On 4/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, Lenir Santiago said:

I was able to successfully install PrimeOS on Unraid

Thanks for sharing! I may give PrimeOS a try one of these days, but a while ago I gave in and picked up a cheap Chromebook at a holiday sale to play with.

Figured it was cheaper than all the time I was spending fighting with the VM.  :-)

Edited by JonMikelV
  • 1 month later...
On 4/15/2020 at 7:47 PM, patm95 said:

I did this, but everytime I restart the VM, it's like I've never ran it.  I have to reregister and download all of my apps again.  Do you experience this as well?

When I did the initial install, it seemed to me that it still just booted live. I had to go under the advanced options in grub and choose the install to disk (something named like that - don't remember exactly) option under there for it to stick. I've done this with the Mainline version and it's working fine. I'm unable to figure out how to change the VNC resolution though so if anyone figures that out, I'd love to know.

• 1 year later...

Hi

Someone has been able to install ChromeOS in a VM I can't get past the chrome logo and continue with the configuration, I have the chrome .img, and I'm trying to run it on a sata disk, can someone help me with the correct configuration, thank you very much and greetings

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...