Review: MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+in 10gbe switch

Either I'm a glutton for punishment or just cheap, but I've purchased another Mikrotik switch, the 4 10gbe port (+1 1gig port) little guy.

1666054365_ScreenShot2019-04-24at7_22_09PM.png.5e74486bfc7e87d8a8eecc4d82144c56.png

For a refresher, my previous. less than stellar mikrotik experience is detailed here:

You don't have to read this reasoning of why I bought this:

OK, so the reason I bought this little switch is because my main, old, Cisco/linksys 24 port switch died a pathetic death. I was using the mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM 24 port switch by my servers to bridge 2 10gbe connections between them (one for the main server, the other for a video editing vm on another.) And yes, I know I could do direct cabling (which I've done), but then the other devices on the network trying to access the server would be bottlenecked by a single gigabit connection.  When my house switch died, I decided to move the CSS326-24G-2S+RM 24 gig/2 10gbe switch into it's place. I thought about getting Mikrotik's new 8 ports sfp+ switch, but really I didn't need that many ports in that configuration by my servers. So I ended up with the smaller 4 port 10gbe switch which made more sense.

Actual review/experience:

There isn't a lot of info about this switch out there aside a couple videos, including one review with a guy drinking beer, one with guy with a dry erase board, and some cell phone video of someone else rambling. So I felt like I was winging it a bit but understood what it should be capable of doing.

I had the same issues with just getting into the switch as I described in the other review. Rather, I figured I'd have the same issues, so it was basically straightforward this time by following the steps I eventually figured out. Again, the documentation is lacking with the switch and even the website link they give you to get the full documentation doesn't work.

The switch comes with dual boot software: RouterOs and SwitchOs, the former being the more powerful/configurable. After changing the IP to a static one on my network and rebooting, everything else was pretty straight forward: plug in the main server, plug in the video editing vm, add a gigabit cable for network access and done. Completely different experience than last time.

Important to note: it only comes with 1 power adapter, but they promote the hell out of "dual power inputs for redundancy!" which makes you think you're getting two. You're not. I didn't. So, a bit disappointed about the Latvians having a better grasp on English and implied advertising tactics than me.

I talked about the thinness of the metal chassis for the last switch. This one also has a metal chassis, and while it doesn't feel thin, it does feel "less expensive." What I mean is, that I have a Netgear Prosafe GS105 5 port gigabit switch, which feels more rugged, durable, and also weighs more (go figure) than the mikrotik switch. It's not that the mikrotik switch feels cheap, I just thought it would feel, "more." Don't get me wrong, the fit/finish is more than acceptable, as everything seems to be aligned how it should be.

I ran some speed tests and found that RouterOS was ever so slightly faster than SwitchOs by maybe 5%... who knows. I don't use or plan to use all the functionality with Router Os (also, I'm glad there is a safe mode), but I may in the future so I'll just let it run. On SMB file share from the ssd cache on the server to the ssd in the video editing vm I was getting 3-400MB/s throughput each way. iPerf3 also showed some nice numbers once I pushed up the thread count (as I had to do with the previous switch to get it's max bandwidth.)

55448714_ScreenShot2019-04-24at6_11_52PM.png.36de69c194b6b762e9774a91fbe3f772.png

This is with no network tuning, right out the box, main server running a mellanox connectx2 into the switch via dac, then out via dac to a solarflare card.

Additionally, monitoring the flow in the web gui of the switch showed peaks up to 9.7, but really, anything over 9gbps is just fine with me, and would be fine with you too. 

1273749320_ScreenShot2019-04-24at6_10_46PM.thumb.png.faccc1c29f5ec7eb52c965cab0ff5024.png

SO, I've had this switch for about 4 hours at this point. It seems to do the job nicely. In the next few months, I'll get two sfp+ rj45 10gbe transceivers and make a 10gbe trunk to the main house switch (I put in cat6a about a year ago.)  The remaining sfp+ port will be connected to my server that hosts the video ending vm because.... why not, it's there.

If my experience changes with this switch, I'll update accordingly. Also, if mikrotik is reading this, and you want to send me a 24 port sfp+ switch with all rj45 10gbe transceivers (or 3 of those 8 port sfp+ switches with transceivers), I'll make it my main house switch and review it for you!

-------

March 28, 2020 update

So I've been using this constantly for about 11 months. I've dropped it, I've pushed it, I've switched back and forth between the operating systems. It just does what it needs to do. It runs very warm, always has. But it hasn't slowed down. Earlier today I made the decision based on it's location to add a heatsink to the top to help dissipate cooling a little more (ordered one off amazon.) Wasn't my idea as I saw it somewhere else. Does it need it, probably not, but it won't hurt especially since the device has a single heatsink inside that sort of touches the chassis, and then using that to help dissipate heat.

I currently use all 4 of the sfp+ ports: 1 to my main server via, 1 to my backup server via dac, 1 to my workstation vm via dac, and one using an rj45 transceiver from fs.com running over cat6a to the 24-gigabit/2-sfp+ switch server as a trunk. That transceiver runs really hot, hotter than the chassis of the switch. But both are always within spec. Regardless, I order a mixed mini-heat sink kit as well for 7 bucks and will add one or two to that transceiver just for fun.

Still no world from mikrotik on review sample  24 port sfp+ switch filled with rj45 10gbe transceivers..... but at the rate they are moving products, I doubt it will ever come at this point..

Edited by 1812
  • Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I am debating whether to get CRS305-1G-4S+IN or CRS309-1G-8S+IN.  CRS305-1G-4S+IN will meet my current requirements of 4 nodes but CRS309-1G-8S+IN will allow me to expand if needed.

Anyway, did you configure VLAN switching on CRS305-1G-4S+IN or all connected nodes are on the same subnet?  Currently, my main PC is on VLAN 20 and my two ESXI(s) and Unraid is on VLAN 1.  I am just wondering if CRS305-1G-4S+IN is capable to perform inter-vlan routing without going through my main router.

2 minutes ago, beyonddc said:

I am debating whether to get CRS305-1G-4S+IN or CRS309-1G-8S+IN.  CRS305-1G-4S+IN will meet my current requirements of 4 nodes but CRS309-1G-8S+IN will allow me to expand if needed.

Anyway, did you configure VLAN switching on CRS305-1G-4S+IN or all connected nodes are on the same subnet?  Currently, my main PC is on VLAN 20 and my two ESXI(s) and Unraid is on VLAN 1.  I am just wondering if CRS305-1G-4S+IN is capable to perform inter-vlan routing without going through my main router.

You can route between VLANs if you run RouterOS but it will not be anywhere near wire speed.

5 hours ago, uldise said:

have you some link on this?

amazon has a few 

https://www.amazon.com/Heatsink-Cooling-Stepper-Regulators-Raspberry/dp/B07V9XDJNF/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=heat+sink+kit&qid=1585487921&s=electronics&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082RWXFR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the flat area on my 10gbe rj45 transceiver is 15mmx13mm on top and 15mmx12mm on the side so I looked for kits that wold have something to fit there.. Shortly after posting that update, I rethought about which kit I bought, cancelled the 7 dollar one and went for the 16 dollar 100 piece kit because.... well, "sheltering in place" is going to become "put heat sinks on everything to fight boredom."

1 hour ago, uldise said:

interesting, where do you plan to fit them?

I'll just stick them on the top and on the side (x marked in the pic below). they are operating within spec range, though towards the top end. Worst case I'm just making them more "Mad Max" themed in appearance. Best case I might get some longevity that I would have otherwise lost. If I have space in the switch I may add some to the sfp+ ports as well, as shown in the second picture denoted by a circle.

too much? maybe, but also trying to keep myself busy and I don't see how it could hurt.

766823636_ScreenShot2020-03-29at12_26_24PM.png.d1f839f172888af5d924609c82ae85bd.png 50417549_ScreenShot2020-03-29at12_31_16PM.png.925de3cfbf6f7b8e7969c40a7188158c.png

22 minutes ago, 1812 said:

too much? maybe, but also trying to keep myself busy and I don't see how it could hurt.

i'm asking cos i'm using Active DACs with Mellanox PCIe card in my server - i changed 1M to 2M Active DAC recently, and right after a few minutes of work, port started flapping.. i resolved it by adding one more fan inside a case to low directly to PCIe zone. i'm wondering, maybe additional heat-sinks on ports would help a bit more..  

28 minutes ago, uldise said:

i'm asking cos i'm using Active DACs with Mellanox PCIe card in my server - i changed 1M to 2M Active DAC recently, and right after a few minutes of work, port started flapping.. i resolved it by adding one more fan inside a case to low directly to PCIe zone. i'm wondering, maybe additional heat-sinks on ports would help a bit more..  

its a 10 dollar try it and find out! If it stopped after the fan, then heat would appear to be an issue.

• 1 month later...

Hi @1812

Great to read your review!

I have been struggling all day with the CRS305-1G-4S+IN but have some new cables and transceivers coming tomorrow but can I ask if the configuration I would like is possible please?

I have my Desktop in my Office and two unraid servers in the garage I have had 10gbe using 2 nic's and a fibre cable for about a year but have now added a second server in the garage hence the purchase of the CRS305-1G-4S+IN

I would like to connect all 3 machines together using the CRS305-1G-4S+IN but with the ethernet port I would like to add that to my standard 1gbit switch which serves the rest of the house so in effect I would no longer need the 1gbit LAN connection from my desktop to the garage.

Would that benefit me at all or should I keep the switch in swos mode and just use a different ip range for 10gbe?

Any advice/pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

21 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

Would that benefit me at all or should I keep the switch in swos mode and just use a different ip range for 10gbe?

is there a reason you want a different ip range? if there is no real reason than "just because" I'd just leave it all in the same network. I use to get fancy but simplicity is where I ended up these days.

for a time I used the onboard gigabit for lan access for the rest of my network to my server and it worked well. Not collisions or other issues changing from 1gbe to 10gbe. (I've since purchased another mikrotik switch for my house and now run a 10gbe trunk line from this switch to that one.) whether or not the new pathway from your computer - 10gbe - CRS305 - 1gbe- gigabit switch will impact you negatively, it all depends on what the bandwidth going to the servers from the rest of the house is on the 1gbe line connecting them to it. If there is no traffic then you should see no slowdown.

I run mine in swos. there seem to be no improvements in performance vs routeros from my early playing around it with it. and  I'm not using vlans/layer3. it's a simpler interface that just works for me.

4 minutes ago, 1812 said:

I run mine in swos. there seem to be no improvements in performance vs routeros from my early playing around it with it. and  I'm not using vlans/layer3. it's a simpler interface that just works for me.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply!

some of the problems I had today was getting the static IP to stick in SWOS mode I factory reset many times and was generally having a nightmare with it.  I updated it to 2.11 after about 5 attempts it took but ended up going back to routeros as it wouldn't play nice! 

So in theory if I can get it to work I should be able to put swos back on in bridge mode and disconnect the lan port from my desktop, I found that if I had my Dekstop Lan and gigabit lan both in the 192.168.0.* range I was getting strange errors, perhaps that is normal?  I tried bridging them both together (Windows 10) but that would not play either!

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone,

Had temrerature issues with  CRS305-1G-4S+IN and Mikrotik S+RJ10 transciever, so I also decided to add copper heatsinks as you were talking here.

IMG_20200711_162342.thumb.jpg.2498e6a0ffa16c352874fef07e90d86a.jpgIMG_20200711_162332.thumb.jpg.0ca81515513df5fb7779b1c7f6505b8f.jpg

IMG_20200711_164828.thumb.jpg.15e83417276faa2534bb3c1ace771117.jpgIMG_20200711_172350.thumb.jpg.85f8569fb5c316dcdb1440dfe0da2b8b.jpg

With such heatsinks temperature of S+RJ10 transciever droped from 85C to 80C only.

So I have ended adding 5V USB-powered silent fan at the top of the switch and temperature is now 63C.

IMG_20200715_214327.thumb.jpg.a971b7341203baed8e7c1eac973e3631.jpg

If not using optic fiber, fan is only good solution for 10G speeds with  CRS305-1G-4S+IN.

Edited by syrup
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys, I stumbled across this thread in my process of figuring out why I'm only getting 3.6 - 4.5Gbits/sec speeds off my RJ45 transceiver from Mac Pro (Myricom dual SFP) through the CRS305 to my Synology NAS. I didn't turn on Jumbo Frame, and have fiber between my CRS305 to my Mac Pro cheesegrater, but RJ45 from the CRS305 to the Synology NAS. The RJ45 transceiver definitely felt uncomfortably hot to the touch.

Could the sub-10GBe speeds be due to the heat? Or is it a ROS vs SwOS and MTU-Jumbo Frame setup problem?

I dont think it is so hot that speed may degrade x2, this is not CPU and it does not throttle itself.  What temtepature RJ45 transceiver shows you in CRS305 or you are using non-Mikrotik S+RJ10 and do no see it?

I recomend you to enable jumbo frames and all CPU offloading engines in network cards and network devices and make test once again by multithreaded iperf3 utility to see real network speed.

Install iperf3 at NAS and run something like this from you Mac:

iperf3 -c <NAS IP> -R -P 10

I tested the same way my QNAP NAS.

Also - do NAS drives may give you 10GB speed? You are sata SSD raid or nvme only?

Edited by syrup
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Adding to the dual power input discussion: Mind you, in order for the failover to work properly, you have to configure your PSE (Power Sourcing Equipment) to Force-out (or always on) if you are using MikroTik as the PSE.  The default for most MikroTik PSE devices is "Auto".  So if your barrel connector looses power, your PD (Powered Device) will reboot when switching over to POE-IN, BUT if your PSE is set to Forced-out, then transition will happen without the PD rebooting.

Qiet72

• 2 years later...

My hottest port is at 85° so I wanted to try a fan.

These fit over the grill nicely but they slowly got louder and louder. 

Dual 40mm USB Fan

I tried adding a pot and ran them as slow as I could but they still had a whine. 

USB Fan Governor

I got this Noctua fan and so far I can not hear it and so far all the ports are 20-40° with the pot on the lowest setting.

Noctua NF-A8 5V PWM

image.thumb.png.da557801fe99a288058c3caf0e4b91ed.png

Edited by Tanquen