Trouble accessing unraid via Windows

Previously, I've been able to access my unraid server in Windows 10 file explorer using the server's name (SleeperService). Now I can't, but I can access via it's IP address.

Earlier I had wanted to set up a way to access the server via Windows file explorer but not have files being copied/moved come to the PC as an intermediary, so I attempted to set up a root share using gridrunner's video here:

but I was wanting to access my unassigned disk. After setting up the SMB Extras and a new user per the video I realized that this probably wouldn't do what I wanted so I undid all the changes (I thought).

I then installed the Dolphin docker and was able to copy/move files on my unassigned disk quicker. That's when I realized I couldn't access the server from the PC using it's name. I have a flash backup from last month so reverted back to earlier files for any that had changed today (mainly a few files in "config"). Still can't access using the server name. When I try to access the UA disk "\\SleeperService\appdisk" Windows Network Diagnostics says "Verify the permission settings on "appdisk". You don't have permission to access the share." The "valid users" and "write list" entries in SMB Extras have been removed as has the user that they referenced.

I'm stuck as to what the issue might be. I know it's a minor thing - I can still access the server - but I would like to get things back to the way they were before.

Thanks,

Jim

Edit: I have also rebooted the server twice and the PC once, FYI.

Edited by JimB66
Added additional info
4 hours ago, JimB66 said:

Earlier I had wanted to set up a way to access the server via Windows file explorer but not have files being copied/moved come to the PC as an intermediary

As long as using Windows 8 or newer you don't have to do anything, for some time now Samba supports Server-Side Copy.

If nothing else works you can add the Unraid server to the Windows hosts file to access it by name.

Another bit of info to add: I just started my Win10 laptop and it can still access the server via File Explorer using \\SLEEPERSERVICE. I was able to drill down into the folders and open a document, so the server side seems OK. I guess something got messed up in the desktop PC.

Also, I added the server to the hosts file on the desktop, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Would still appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

With Win10, you have to be very careful about solutions to any SMB problem.  What works for one person, does not for the next...  There are so many different versions (1809, 1803, etc.) and types (Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education, Etc.) and they are all are a bit different in how security is handled with regard SMB access.  Plus, MS is continually making further changes through their pushed upgrades that often end up installed without the end user even being aware of it.  

This thread contains a lot of WIN10 SMB issues.  If you have such issues, I would recommend starting at the end of the thread and go backwards.  Particularly, if your WIN10 was working and suddenly stopped working. 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

Remember, most of these solutions are trading security for ease of use.  If you are using your 'Work' computer and have an issue, your IT department will likely be most unhappy if you compromise (from their point of view) their security policy on the company's computer. 

Edited by Frank1940

Setting SMB to v1 seems to have fixed the issue. Not really sure what got changed or how (shrug).

And thanks Frank1940, I will look at that thread. Some of my own research did turn up that it's a bit of a mess. I'll see if I can unravel it a bit.

And this was with Win10 Home (1809), on my desktop PC; as mentioned the laptop also with Win10 Home (1809) was fine/unaffected - plus several Android devices. So I focused on the desktop.

Thanks everybody that responded, really appreciate it.

1 hour ago, JimB66 said:

Setting SMB to v1 seems to have fixed the issue. Not really sure what got changed or how (shrug).

MS turned it off in one of there recent upgrades.  I seem to recall that certain versions of WIN10 will automatically turn it back off either after 30 days or 30 days of unuse. (I can't recall which.)