Quiet as possible ITX build

mikeyosm

Hi people

I am looking at putting a new ITX build together to run PLEX (4k support, 2-3 simul streams) and also 2 or 3 VMs (2 gaming VMs) concurrently.

Ideally I want it to be ITX in size so probably looking at a max 32/64GB mem all SSDs/NVMEs and min 8 cores (16 threads).

Was looking at z390 asus strix and i9 plus 64GB double height DIMM - might be overkill though.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Pretty sure that is impossible.  That mini ITX board only has a single PCIE slot- so only one GPU can be setup.  So it will only really be suitable for a single gaming PC.  Did see that double height DIMM- but seems like a real niche item.  I actually got a 256Mb double DIMM like that back in the celeron 300 days- it worked as expected but did cause clearance issues with other things.

22 minutes ago, jordanmw said:

Pretty sure that is impossible.  That mini ITX board only has a single PCIE slot- so only one GPU can be setup.  So it will only really be suitable for a single gaming PC.  Did see that double height DIMM- but seems like a real niche item.  I actually got a 256Mb double DIMM like that back in the celeron 300 days- it worked as expected but did cause clearance issues with other things.

Was thinking of using the Intel gfx onboard for light gaming. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for new AMD refresh and build something from that - might be more cost effective.

40 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

Was thinking of using the Intel gfx onboard for light gaming. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for new AMD refresh and build something from that - might be more cost effective.

Yeah- I was assuming you were talking about an all around gaming machine.  Light gaming should be pretty solid.  I think nuhll has the right idea above- that 1050 is a pretty good candidate if you get a passive version and have decent airflow.