Odd VM Issue

I noticed this yesterday... I have a Windows 10 VM, headless but I have a GTX 1660 passed through it. Works fine. I RDP into and check the CPU usage, normal. Once I disconnect though, one of my threads jumps to 100 and stays pegged... once I reconnect though it goes back down... I've restarted the VM, tried it again, still does it after I disconnect. What's going on? HTOP from unRaid WebUI console just shows the VM using CPU but that's it.. UnRaid 6.6.7.

EDIT 0--- If I restart the VM And don't remote in, the CPU Usage stays low and "normal" levels.

I'm getting this in the VM Log file - 

"qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:0a:00.1, depends on group 28 which is not owned.

IOMMU group 27:     0a:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1aeb (rev a1)
IOMMU group 28:     0a:00.2 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation

So I edited the VM to not use Audio at all, restarted VM, RDP - logged out/disconnect and now it's stable without pegging any CPU's.

EDIT - Nevermind.. it's still pegging 1 CPU/Thread at 100... wtf

EDIT2 -   ran Guru3D's DisplayDriverUninstaller - removed all Nvidia stuff..restarted, RDP - disconnected..no pegged CPU's..

Edited by presence06

So after putsing with this... After removing the GPU drivers it doesn't peg any CPUs.. if I add the driver either via Windows Device Manager or Nvidia official drivers, remote in and then disconnect it pegs one CPU/thread.. I hooked up a monitor and keyboard and mouse, after I remote in and it pegs, If I log in with a monitor it doesn't peg... Something to do with remotely accessing and how it releases maybe?  It doesn't happen with just the MS Generic drivers though.. I was running Windows 1903 and reverted back to 1809 and now it doesn't do it.. maybe it's something to do with 1903 build.. 

Edited by presence06

How long you let the 1903 run at 100%? maybe it was doin some maintence or something?

I know the latest windows update (i dont know if it was 1903 tho) did take a long time on my i9 9900k.

Also did you disable (what ever the english name for it is) when it "saves" your windows instance and you can revert back to earlier states?

When windows thinks it has time to do something it might take cpu to do what ever it thinks it needs to do...^^

Edited by nuhll

I guess I don't know how long it was running with the CPU at 100, but I just noticed it was doing that..  It would only do it when it was on the lock screen though..   I'll stick with this build for now and maybe setup another VM with Insider Builds and see if I can replicate it.

• 3 months later...

Having the same issue. Upgraded some Windows 10 1809 VMs on a Hyper-V host (Server 2016) to Windows 10 1903 yesterday. When disconnecting an RDP session (no logout, just disconnect), the dwm.exe of the RDP host surges cpu usage until the RDP session gets connected again. Upgrading Graphics drivers (Intel HD Graphics P630) didn't help.

There are quite a few other reports on the same issue:
english:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dwmexe-high-cpu-one-core-on-target-system-after/dbce0938-60c5-4051-81ef-468e51d743ab

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/after-exiting-a-remote-desktop-session-cpu-load/e21e7da0-9a64-4a14-a671-b7cb1b61f66e?auth=1

german:

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/476003

https://www.heise.de/forum/heise-online/News-Kommentare/Juni-Sicherheitsupdates-sabotieren-Ereignisanzeige-in-allen-Windows-Versionen/OT-Sei-1903-20-CPU-Load-von-DWM-exe-nachdem-RDP-Session-beendet-wurde/posting-34690755/show/

italian:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/it-IT/fc9ffe13-47d3-47ac-a1fc-c247d8f4ca8f/utilizzo-cpu-elevata-quando-si-esce-da-rdp?forum=win10itprogeneralIT#61fb43a6-1726-4e35-9ea8-74bc268dbd79

I've tried to report the issue to ms rds dev team ([email protected]). Please reach out to Microsoft as well to report the issue, e.g. via feedback hub.

13 hours ago, jonathanm said:

What does that have to do with a KVM VM hosted on Unraid? This is not a generic tech support forum, it is for users of unraid.

The issue the OP has observed is neither related to Unraid nor Hyper-V. It is just a bug in Windows 10 1903. I've been in contact to the rds dev team at Microsoft. The issue is under investigation. As of now, either stay at Windows 10 1809 or wait for a fix/update to resolve the issue in Windows 10 1903.

Please have a look at the given background info instead of ranting at a newbie.

27 minutes ago, laterv said:

The issue the OP has observed is neither related to Unraid nor Hyper-V. It is just a bug in Windows 10 1903. I've been in contact to the rds dev team at Microsoft. The issue is under investigation. As of now, either stay at Windows 10 1809 or wait for a fix/update to resolve the issue in Windows 10 1903.

I wasn't ranting, I was asking why you were posting on an unraid forum.

Do you use unraid?

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Then there was no need to post here.

Seems a little harsh no? :)

1 hour ago, laterv said:

Since updating my Win10 VM to 1903 I was having some issues but I wasn't associating them with RDP, I usually leave the session open but I would lose connection after some time and then the VM would be practically unresponsive, trying to reconnect RDP took very long and failed, and even when using Unraid VNC it stayed unresponsive, needed to force a shutdown.

After reading this I tried just closing the RDP session and that leaves the VM in the unresponsive state, so I think it's related, I'm trying the workaround linked above and appears to fix it for now, so thanks for posting.

Edited by johnnie.black