Mount ext4 to copy data

BDPM

My OS drive is starting to go out. 80gig probably 10+ yrs old. I'm using OMV right now, but I've been wanting to try Unraid. 

Is there a way to mount ext4 drive, copy data to unraid array, then unmount ext4? Internal is preferred, but I can put it in a USB enclosure. 

Or am I stuck with rsync, sftp, etc from outside unraid?

I'm sure i could dig to find the answer, but I'm kinda in a pinch. 80gig is failing pretty good in the last 3 days, and tomorrow is my only day off until next Friday

Thanks in advance for any input.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:23 PM, Squid said:

You can use the unassigned devices plugin

Transition from OMV to Unraid going perfect so far!  Thank you. 

Quick question regarding drives/parity.

I have a few 6tb drives available. Two are online now,  and a third is a parity drive that is currently writing parity. I plan to add 4th 6tb drive in as parity. 

Currently only minimal data is on the drives. Unifi, and Nextcloud containers are running.

With regard to time, which do you think would be faster? Copy ~5tb worth of data over, then add 2nd parity drive, or create 2nd parity first?

Thanks in advance for any input.

BDPM

Since you already have parity1 in process, adding parity2 isn't going to change the transfer speed significantly unless your CPU is too old for the more advanced calculations involved with parity2.

Copying while parity is building will be extremely slow no matter what, so just don't copy while parity is being built. Before or after, very little difference.

Why do you feel you need 2 parity disks with only a handful of data drives? That space would be much better used as offline backup. Parity is there for increased availability, it doesn't replace the need for backup. It can only account for drive failure, there are MANY more ways to lose data that don't involve disks failing. Until you get more than 10 or so data drives, I personally wouldn't bother with 2 parity disks.

25 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Since you already have parity1 in process, adding parity2 isn't going to change the transfer speed significantly unless your CPU is too old for the more advanced calculations involved with parity2.

Copying while parity is building will be extremely slow no matter what, so just don't copy while parity is being built. Before or after, very little difference.

Why do you feel you need 2 parity disks with only a handful of data drives? That space would be much better used as offline backup. Parity is there for increased availability, it doesn't replace the need for backup. It can only account for drive failure, there are MANY more ways to lose data that don't involve disks failing. Until you get more than 10 or so data drives, I personally wouldn't bother with 2 parity disks.

I dunno why I feel the need for 2 parity. I'm new to Unraid. Lol I've only ever run mdadm raid10 and zfs raidz10.  Both of which require 4 drives. 2 data, 2 parity. And the ~10tb of available space has never seen more than maybe 7tb. Talk to me... I'm open to change. 

I do have external backup of super critical my wife will kill me if I lose it data.  Offsite at a buddy's house. I rsync to his place and he to mine via VPN. 

Music, TV, Movies, VM's, Dockers, etc is what I have on data drives, can be replaced easy enough, just take forever. So I run raid array, now Unraid. :)

I'm open to any suggestions and input.

Thanks 

BDPM

51 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Should be similar, as write speed with single or dual parity is the same, assuming a minimally decent CPU, something better than a 10 year old Atom CPU, also if you haven't yet, check out turbo write, at least for the initial load.

Thanks. I'll check out turbo write.

Not brand spanking new processor, but not 10yrs. I have AMD's version of core I7. Forget what it was called.