Moving Data From Server to Server - Best Options?

Hi Guys,

I would like to keep an extra backup of my Plex media folders backed up to a Qnap. It is just sitting there doing nothing.  I have to get them over there, so I was going to FTP them. As far as keeping the media in sync between the servers, what’s the best option?  I don’t want to have to keep moving the entire folders all the time because they are fairly large. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

I think in this instance, depending on how your QNAP device works - the way I'd approach it is - see if you can't get your QNAP to share (via NFS/cifs/however) to your unRAID server.

Then you can use rsync to periodically 'synchronize' your directories. I don't do this but I believe you can add a 'network share' in the unRaid GUI. You could definitely do this a few different ways - including rsync via ssh but it's often easier if the storage is presented locally.

rsync command would be something like:

rsync -avz /mnt/user/Movies /mnt/wherever/you/mount/the/network/share/Movies

You can test it via --dry-run as in:

rsync -avz --dry-run /mnt/user/Movies /mnt/wherever/you/mount/the/network/share/Movies

19 hours ago, Delarius said:

I think in this instance, depending on how your QNAP device works - the way I'd approach it is - see if you can't get your QNAP to share (via NFS/cifs/however) to your unRAID server.

Then you can use rsync to periodically 'synchronize' your directories. I don't do this but I believe you can add a 'network share' in the unRaid GUI. You could definitely do this a few different ways - including rsync via ssh but it's often easier if the storage is presented locally.

rsync command would be something like:

rsync -avz /mnt/user/Movies /mnt/wherever/you/mount/the/network/share/Movies

You can test it via --dry-run as in:

rsync -avz --dry-run /mnt/user/Movies /mnt/wherever/you/mount/the/network/share/Movies

Hi Delarius,

Thanks for the input much appreciated.  I might try one of those ideas The way I have done it right now. I'm in the process of copying the folders over to the Qnap that I want to sync with unraid on a regular basis. I'm using the Krusader docker and FileZilla. It looks like I can easily run a sync with Krusader whenever I want.  Don't know if it will do it automatically or how well it will sync. I just started using it so I'm not real familiar with it yet. Looks like a good app. Ideally it would be good at some point if the process was automated. Not a big deal to start something manually every 3 0r 4 days. Better then what I had. The Qnap can now get a little use. LOL. Thanks again!