Silly sg_format question.

Is there any harm in opening the terminal window starting a reformat of and SAS drive using sg_format --format --size=512 -v /dev/XXX and then closing the terminal window? I've been leaving it open, but I worry that if I close it that I might lose the drive due to my stupidity.

I brought home an EMC KTN-STL3 enclosure full of 4Tb drives and 3 200 Gb SSD Cache drives that my office was going to crush. So to ensure everything is completely gone I'm sg_formatting them all so they are seen by UNRAID, and then Preclearing them.

Is there any harm in opening the terminal window starting a reformat of and SAS drive using sg_format --format --size=512 -v /dev/XXX and then closing the terminal window? I've been leaving it open, but I worry that if I close it that I might lose the drive due to my stupidity.

I brought home an EMC KTN-STL3 enclosure full of 4Tb drives and 3 200 Gb SSD Cache drives that my office was going to crush. So to ensure everything is completely gone I'm sg_formatting them all so they are seen by UNRAID, and then Preclearing them.
Not sure about how the web terminal work (I never use it), but a ssh session open to the server will terminate any command running when the window closes, unless you install and use screen (available in the NerdPack plugin)

Sent via telekinesis

• 1 year later...