(Solved) Expand parity and data with two new drives

Hi, I'd please like some help confirming the procedure for expanding parity, using the parity copy method.

I am running 6.6.7.

I have 1 x 4TB ultrastar parity, and 1 x 4TB ultrastar data.

I have 4 x 1TB samsung SSD cache.

I added 2 x 12TB seagate, unassigned, busy pre-clearing.

I would like to replace the 4TB parity with a 12TB, then use the old 4TB parity as data, and add the second 12TB as data.

So it will look like; 12TB parity, 4TB + 4TB + 12TB data, 4 x 1TB SSD cache.

The wiki describes a process of removing drives, I do not want to physically remove them.

How would I swap the drive assignment, and copy parity, and add more data?

Edited by ptr727
Solved

1. Do you have backups of anything important?

2. Are all your drives verified as currently healthy?

3. Have you done a parity check with zero errors in the past few days?

If the answer to all three is yes, the quickest and simplest method is to do a new config and assign all the drives exactly as you wish and let parity build to the new 12TB. No need for copying anything anywhere.

Take a backup of your flash by clicking on it in the main GUI and downloading the backup.

Make a note of all your current drive serial number assignment positions.

Set a new config with preserve all checked on the tools tab of the gui.

Make changes by selecting one of the 12TB as parity, which will allow you to assign the current 4TB to a data slot, assign the second 12TB to another data slot.

Start the array and allow parity to be built.

After a successful parity build, do a non correcting check. After that comes back with zero errors, verify that only the old 4TB parity and 12TB data drive show as unformatted, and select the checkbox to allow them to be formatted.

Change any share inclusions and exclusions to use the new drive slots as you see fit.

Don't proceed through the steps until you understand what each step does and what constitutes a proper outcome step by step.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ptr727 said:

Thank you, 1, 2, 3, yes.

Other than testing the 2 new new drives, is there any value in letting pre-clear complete, or can I stop it and start the swap?

Testing is pretty much the only purpose for pre-clear these days. In your particular situation, unraid will be completely overwriting everything on the 12TB drive you assign to parity, and the data drives will be left alone, no need for a clear drive when you are rebuilding parity. So, if you are confident they haven't suffered any shipping and handling damage, go ahead and start the procedure. They will get a relatively thorough test anyway with the parity build and subsequent check that you initiate.