Attached Storage explination

I can see many questions along these lines already asked, however I couldn't really find anything about NAS either counting or not counting as attached storage?

If a removable USB is counted is a NAS then also counted?

I only have a R320 and want to use the 4 bays it has, it also has a DVD drive, a couple of usb ports and the of course my NAS. I just want to know if I can buy the basic licence or will I HAVE to buy a higher tier???

If you are talking about a separate NAS on your network, and NOT the Unraid server, then NO your NAS does not count, as it is not part of the Unraid setup.  An attached NAS over the LAN would not be part of the Unraid Array, NOR an unassigned drive in the Unraid installation (internal or external).  The NAS would be a separate device on the network, and would not count toward, or against any drive allowances in your Unraid system.

You CAN however map any other network drives via the unassigned drives plug-in, to be used with unraid as a drive resource OUTSIDE of the protected array.  These mapping still DO NOT count toward or against your drive allowances, but they will consume additional resources on your Unraid server, including additional RAM needs.

If you are talking about installing Unraid ON your NAS, then each drive in the NAS WOULD be counted in the drive allowances for the server since they would then be part of the Unraid installation.  Each drive could be either configured as part of the array, or outside of the array as needed.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to ask anything else, and please provide a little more detail on how you are planning to use your unraid and your NAS in releation to each other if I was unable to answer your question properly.

Also please look at this;

https://unraid.net/pricing

and 

the older page

https://lime-technology.com/wp/pricing/

which also has this;

What are “attached storage devices”?

They refer to the total number of storage devices physically attached to the server before you start the array.  This number is in addition to your USB flash device used to boot unRAID (e.g. 4 HDDs + 2 SSDs + unRAID boot device = 6 attached devices).  Non-storage devices such as GPUs do not count against this limit.

• Upvote 1