[SOLVED] My 10TB WD White Label Hard Drives not Recognized.

Hey guys,

I'm having a really weird problem. I recently purchased 2x 10 TB WD Hard Drives. They were on sale as part of the 10 TB EasyStore external drives, which I shucked and used in my server. I have a 10 TB white label drive as my parity drive and it was recognized immediately without an issue, but when I try to add these as data drives into the server, the WebUI doesn't show them as existing -- not even as unassigned drives. I rebooted the system several times, upgraded the OS to 6.6.7 but still no bueno. Any help someone can give to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

As a fact, I did externally power up these drives to ensure that they are both working -- and it works. They were preformatted as NTFS.

I also put them in different drive slots (I have a Norco 4220 20-bay chassis that I am using) and still the same. They don't get recognized. 

***** SOLUTION ******

Just wanted to let everyone know that this is resolved. The solution, as mentioned below is to use Kapton tape to cover up pin #3 of the power connector. I purchased Kapton tape from Amazon and did this change and voila, everything works. 

For review, a tutorial on how to do this is posted on this youtube tutorial I am linking below (mods, please delete if not allowed)

Edited by rwickra

OMG, you are amazing. Thank you. I've already ordered the Kapton tape. Weirdly, I searched various permutations of this question on the forum assuming that someone would have encountered this before, but never encountered the post you've referenced. Thank you again!

• 2 years later...