Ubuntu VM very slow.

Hi,

The Ubuntu Desktop I am setting up are very slow and laggy. It`s like its running from a CD-ROM or a corrupt video driver. I think I have allocated enough resourses wit 4GB RAM and 4 cores/8 threads running on Xeon Silver 4116.

I hope anyone can help.

Cheers

Frode

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 19.00.22.png

30 minutes ago, itimpi said:

What drive is the vdisk located on?    Do you have a cache drive?     Running VMs with the OS vdisk on a drive in a parity protected array is often slow because of the relatively slow write performance on Unraid.

I run 4 ssd`s in Raid10. Domains is on the cache drive as well as the vdisk file. Is the default vnc driver ok to run?

2 hours ago, frodr said:

Strange. Only 32 GB used on the cache, 3 VM`s is more than 100GB alone. The 3 different VM`s vdisk`s name is the same "vdisk1.img".

vdisks by default are created "sparse". That means only the used space is actually allocated. That is good for some scenarios, bad for others. Good, in that you can present an OS with a large amount of free space to make installers happy, and allow growth without reprovisioning or other manipulation. Bad, in that it can be easy to allocate more than the actual amount of space, causing strange issues when the device is full but the OS in the VM shows plenty of free space. Also, the host file system can get fragmented, causing performance issues with some types of file systems and media.

If you wish to force the file to immediately consume the full size of the vdisk, that can be easily done.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

vdisks by default are created "sparse". That means only the used space is actually allocated. That is good for some scenarios, bad for others. Good, in that you can present an OS with a large amount of free space to make installers happy, and allow growth without reprovisioning or other manipulation. Bad, in that it can be easy to allocate more than the actual amount of space, causing strange issues when the device is full but the OS in the VM shows plenty of free space. Also, the host file system can get fragmented, causing performance issues with some types of file systems and media.

If you wish to force the file to immediately consume the full size of the vdisk, that can be easily done.

Do you think that is what causing the problem?