Getting my first NAS, what parts?

Mihle

I am thinking of getting my first NAS. 

I am using it for for example Movies (rips of blu rays I have paid for, noting illegal) and videos and photos I have taken with my camera.
It will be most of the time used from my Desktop, and less often other things that is on the wifi, but how much I dont know, maybe someone else in the house starts to want to use it too. I expect I wont really watch stuff to outside the house. I guess that its most likely I wont use transcoding at all, but If it ever happens its probably just one 1080p. Wont be a deal breaker if I just cant tho.

Might run VPN on it, but I dont know if I will do anything else (Probably not, but who knows, I know for a fact nothing advanced tho)

I plan on getting 2x8TB HDDs and run them with parity, will probably last quite a while. (If you think its a better idea to get something else like 3x4 TB or whatever, say it)

After some recommendation from some other people somewhere else, I have basically found these components:

Case:
Lian Li PC-Q25
FD Node 304 (Larger)
Supermicro CSE-721TQ (More expensive, so probably not this one)

Mobo/CPU:
Asrock J3455-ITX
Has 4 sata ports, but limited expandablility because only PCIe 2.0 1x slot. Dont know if it would actually be used tho. Maybe to 2 Sata ports

Biostar A10N-8800E (Why did AMD release an Bulldozer chip this late when Ryzen is out? clear stock?
Seem to be more powerfull, but dont know if I need it.
Has 2 Sata ports, but has a PCIe 3.0 16x slot that allows for more expansion.  Anything more than the 2 HDDs (that I dont know if I would need, but more likely than needing more than 4) would require me to get an Sata card. Easier to find something that is more than 2 Sata ports, but they are quite a bit more expensive and might actually end up costing the same as the Mobo/CPU combo depending on what I find.
Someone mentioned LSI RAID card from ebay and flash it, but that seems risky, and some told its speed might not be the best?

Third option would be to go Mobo and CPU that is socketed, but that is more expensive,

RAM:
4-8 GB.  (1x4 or 2x4 or 1x8?)
Speed dont matter that much right?

PSU:
Not decided yet 300w Is enough, Right?

Any have any inputs?

Edited by Mihle
  • 2 weeks later...