[Unraid 6.6.7] Parity disk faulty

Just logged in and my poor old parity drive has shut itself off, marked as faulty. It has a hilariously high number of reads/writes showing (140 trillion), some 900 errors. Can't do a SMART as the disk is dead (file just shows "Smartctl open device: /dev/sdb failed: No such device")...

I guess I'm boned and have to buy a new drive to replace this ASAP - but is anything else worth a shot?

unraid-2-diagnostics-20190429-2016.zip

There is a chance the disk has simply dropped offline and will be available again after a reboot.   Most of the time this is something other than the drive (cabling, power, controller).

i would suggest that you get the diagnostics zip file (via Tools->Diagnostics) before tebooting and then again after rebooting.and post them.   That should allow us to see what lead uptp this and also whether it looks as if the disk like being really faulty.

Thanks.. After a reboot... The parity disk has disappeared completely. Dead as a dinosaur probably..

I have another disk in the array that's the same size as the failed parity drive, currently empty. I will try re-assigning that as parity for the time being.

Edited by jmbrnt
Just now, jmbrnt said:

Thanks.. After a reboot... The parity disk has disappeared completely. Dead as a dinosaur probably..

It could be!     You might want to go through a power off/on sequence to make sure.    If the system is still not seeing the drive then it has probably really physically failed.

• Upvote 1