WD Blue SSD cache drive

I recently discovered that the WD Blue SSD drives are based on Marvell 88SS1074 controller.

I know that there is issues with Marvell controllers with unraid and I have been having some issues where my server will become unresponsive and I will have to reboot and wait for it to come back up to continue watching my show/movie with plex.  It seems completely random and I have run all of the scans and I have enhanced log installed, but nothing comes up.

When I discovered this about the WD drive it got me thinking and I think that this issue started to happen after I installed this drive (I could be wrong)

Would I be correct in saying that this may be a problem?

• 7 months later...

This have happend to me aswell, i have been looking for the problem for weeks, and today i saw your old post and got me thinking, i have 2 x WD SN500 in my unraid build, but those uses wd in house controller but they might cause issues aswell, i have now put in another 2.5" insted of the 2 m.2 and for 24 h it havent crashed yet so the problem might be found. Did you figure out your issue?

• 4 months later...

I too am experiencing similar crashes with a WDS500G2B0B, using Marvell controller, as a cache drive. System becomes unresponsive and must be rebooted, no errors at all in the logs.

Did either of you confirm that swapping your drives resolved the problem? 

EDIT: For me, it doesn't look like the SSD controller was the problem. I removed it from the system, changed USB keys and tried a few other troubleshooting steps but the problem remained. Ultimately, it appears as though the problem was related to Ryzen C states or idle power. I have a Ryzen 1700x and Asrock X470 Taichi (Rev 2.0 bios), and changing the 'Power Supply Idle Control" setting to 'typical current' looks to have resolved the issue. C-States were left on auto. SSD is back in the system and has been stable for 36 hours. 

Edited by CaptainSandwich
Problem resolved