Disk was disabled, I don't understand why [Solved]

Hi,

I was copying data to my unRaid Server and didn't notice that the cache ran full. I meanwhile changed the setting on the share to not use the cache and cancelled the copy-process. When I checked the unRAid dashboard I saw a lot of notifications that the cache was full andsomewhere in between that a drive was disabled.

A parity check was running the past hours and still is.

I attached the diagnostics file.

The mover is running (I assume, as I can see space getting freed up on the cache drives).

This  is my Main dashboard:

image.thumb.png.f204b5c8ab7441357ab1dc8f0b5f5bbe.png

How come the drive was disabled? And what can I do now?

I'm still very new to unRaid and still  in the process of setting it up bit by bit.

Many thanks!!

Odom

diagnostics-20190501-2002.zip

It's better to not cache anything for a large initial data load, since cache will not have the capacity. And it would also be better to wait until the initial data load is complete before setting anything else up, such as dockers.

You will have to rebuild disk6 after checking all connections. You may have to reformat cache and install your dockers later.

Do you still have the source data you are trying to load on this system?

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Odom said:

How come the drive was disabled? And what can I do now?

A disk being disabled means that a write to it has failed.    When that happens Unraid stops using the physical drive and instead ‘emulates’ it using the combination of the parity drive and the remaining data drives.    Since writes can still be made to the ‘emulated’ drive this means that the physical drive is no longer in sync with the ‘emulated’ one.

Very frequently there is nothing wrong with the drive itself, and the write failure was caused by an external factor (cabling, power, controller).    The recovery process is to rebuild the ‘emulated’ drive back onto a physical one.    If the drive has really failed this will be to a replacement drive.    If it is determined that the disk has not really failed then it is possible to rebuild back to the original drive to bring it back into line with the ‘emulated’ one.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The recovery process is to rebuild the ‘emulated’ drive back onto a physical one. 

How do you do this? Is it the procedure of replacing a data drive and simply re-use the same one?

I think so. I did a pre-clear on disk 6.

I had a USB drive attached and was using Krusader to copy data and at the same time I was copying data from my PC to it as well. I enabled the cache on a folder without considering that there wouldn't be enough cache free for the data I'm copying.

I ran a quick SMART test and it also came back fine. Maybe it was too much for the drive and it bailed.

How can I get it back enabled?

The parity check was running because I had it scheduled to run on the first of every month. It just finished now:

image.png.dad34aa2b9288ad324c570406c155d20.png

image.png.6588f2fbbf65a51c73d4a000bc355def.png

image.png.72338a80aec3883df50a0d6b10b52b30.png

The Main screen looks like this:

image.thumb.png.2bdbce0abd67e8aedac8e007f2bf8d3c.png

image.thumb.png.082373b3f7f51372e569ddec518905b1.png

The SMART for disk 6 looks like this:

image.thumb.png.2d26c3067a51a2a23ac669641305b3db.png

The free disk space on the cache stabilised. When I check the scheduler settings it doesn't show as the Mover working

image.png.db8d1063803b02b8ceddfabfdf4c5cd9.png

Is there another way to show you what the array operations are?

What can we do about disk 6?

Thank you very much for the help so far, it is really appreciated!!

• Odom changed the title to Disk was disabled, I don't understand why [Solved]