Missing appropriate Docker documentation

Hello,

I have been frustrated with unRAID lack of basic documentation with regards to Docker. Yes, I was able to install the community apps. Mostly of no use for me.

I want to be able to use other Docker images. Why is this not an option???

Why is there no basic explanation of what a template is and how to create one?

How do I get a standard image from the Docker Hub to run? Is it not an option???

Thanks!

5 hours ago, gullie said:

I have been frustrated with unRAID lack of basic documentation with regards to Docker. Yes, I was able to install the community apps. Mostly of no use for me.

The basic documentation for docker is that provided by docker.com

Community Applications (CA) is a 3rd party application and not part of the core Unraid system.  Documentation for it is in various forum posts.

CA supports installing docker images that are located on dockerhub.  I have frequently used this capability.

You can always use the CLI level within Unraid to install containers as well.

There is explanation in the forum (see here for example).  Since CA is not part of core Unraid you need to find the information in the forum or ask questions.  In simplistic terms a template is simply a way of pre-setting the parameters that a user would normally enter via a docker run command at the CLI level thus enabling installing and managing containers without the need to descend to the CLI level.

How do I get a standard image from the Docker Hub to run? Is it not an option???

It is an option within CA as long as you have enabled it in the CA settings.  It is not enabled by default as many Unraid users will not have the expertise to use such containers and know how to set them up.  I have several containers installed using that feature.  Using to install such a container will then present you with a blank template that you can use to specify the path/port mappings that are required for a particular container (which should be documented for that container).

19 hours ago, gullie said:

From the Docker FAQ:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-566095

And the applicable documentation from LT's website is here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Docker_Management#Adding_Applications_as_Containers

TLDR: A template is nothing more that a bunch of fields which get passed through to the docker run command.  There's nothing special about it at all, and unRaid's system is all GUI based to make life easier for you.

On 5/28/2015 at 10:48 PM, Squid said:

And much, much more (including the ability to search for and install any of the containers available on dockerHub (1,000,000+)

CA also has a dedicated Settings section (click Settings) which will let you fine tune certain aspects of its operation.

Edited by Squid
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, itimpi said:

The basic documentation for docker is that provided by docker.com

Community Applications (CA) is a 3rd party application and not part of the core Unraid system.  Documentation for it is in various forum posts.

CA supports installing docker images that are located on dockerhub.  I have frequently used this capability.

You can always use the CLI level within Unraid to install containers as well.

There is explanation in the forum (see here for example).  Since CA is not part of core Unraid you need to find the information in the forum or ask questions.  In simplistic terms a template is simply a way of pre-setting the parameters that a user would normally enter via a docker run command at the CLI level thus enabling installing and managing containers without the need to descend to the CLI level.

It is an option within CA as long as you have enabled it in the CA settings.  It is not enabled by default as many Unraid users will not have the expertise to use such containers and know how to set them up.  I have several containers installed using that feature.  Using to install such a container will then present you with a blank template that you can use to specify the path/port mappings that are required for a particular container (which should be documented for that container).

Well, obviously the basic Docker documentation is not enough because you are claiming to provide more than just a standard Linux machine. Hence some proper documentation (does not have to be long) can help a lot.

For example, you said that I can use the CLI, but it is not clear to me how will it work with the GUI and if it is going to mess things up (as I have read or heard somewhere). Patches of info here and there on the forum is not good enough IMHO.

Thanks for your help!

10 minutes ago, gullie said:

For example, you said that I can use the CLI, but it is not clear to me how will it work with the GUI

There is nothing you can enter into a docker run command that you cannot also enter into a template via Add Container

11 minutes ago, gullie said:

and if it is going to mess things up (as I have read or heard somewhere). Patches of info here and there on the forum is not good enough IMHO.

Nope.  Nothing at all.  Depending upon what you are doing though, some management options of the container may not be available via the GUI if you create the container through the CLI

It should be noted somewhere that there is nothing that is "an unRaid container"  A container is a container is a container, and will work from one docker implementation to another (assuming that the various paths, ports, variables are appropriately defined in either the GUI or in the CLI docker run command)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Squid said:

From the Docker FAQ:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-566095

And the applicable documentation from LT's website is here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Docker_Management#Adding_Applications_as_Containers

TLDR: A template is nothing more that a bunch of fields which get passed through to the docker run command.  There's nothing special about it at all, and unRaid's system is all GUI based to make life easier for you.

Thank you very much that helps!